Garmin Etrex Settings For Batus

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by cpgrieve, Jul 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Does anyone know what settings need to be entered into a Garmin Etrex for use in Batus?

2. Isn't it WGS84?
  3. Why not NAD 27 Canada?

Found out myself, Map Datums

If you have it set on
    hddd.ddddd degs
    hddd degs mm.mmm
    hddd dgs mm,ss.s

they all default to WGS 84

Make sure your WAAS is enabled too

From main menu select mark, make lots of waypoints.
  4. Speak to 29 Flt AAC,

The civvie storeman there sells Garmin kit, he also had all the towers and road junctions as waypoints that he will load onto your Garmin for a small fee.

RV Coke Can Tower for Entry Point Ex Burrowing Owl at 0400, call C/S Zulu 3 for entry permission.

Ah, happy days
  5. Depends on the mapping used!! I'm guessing though WGS84 and MGRS as the grid system,
  6. You dont need the mapping, everyone exchanging RV points etc need to using the same position format, and map datum.
  7. mmmmmmmm........ very bad. You need the mapping as the garmin won't tell you if there's a **** off big drop coming up, or where the TA boundary is will it etc etc.

Settings will be WGS84, MGRS - just make sure the 100k grid identifier is entered and you'll be good to go. The 100k grid identifier is written on the map - funny old thing.
  8. OK-did I not say WGS 84 etc?

The codicil about depending on the mapping used was there just in case there is some bizarre datum used on some of the maps out there!
  9. You did indeed. My reply was meant for Bollock-chops but I pressed the wrong reply :)

The only mapping that should be used will be issued and will be MGRS, based on the Universal Transverse Mercator projection.
  10. I find setting my garmin to ON is always a good idea.

And turning the lights to OFF to conserve battery life.
  11. From what I remember if you take your GPS to the ops room they will download all the key points onto your GPS, thus saving you a lot of time.
  12. Yep, they will, and they won't charge you for it either- I took the whole fitter sections GPS's up there, took about 10 mins