Garmin 405

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jack-daniels, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can't argue with the 305, excellent. Although mine got a puddle inside when cycling and wouldn't work, this was soon sorted though. I rang Garmin up, sent them the old 305 then they sent back a new one. I would love a 405 as it dosn't look like you are wearing a telly on your arm but apart from that I can't see any major differences.
  2. It's the dogs b@llocks.

Chief advantages:

Automatic upload to computer. Not bluetooth, but some sort of wifi, so once it's paired, you just have to walk into the room your computer's in, and it uploads the most recent data. Does it intelligently, so it won't re-copy workouts you've already done. This is the single biggest motivator for me - gives me an unarguable, honest training diary.

Very configurable display - will give you whatever you want in your workout.

Looks (and works) like a watch - you aren't wandering around with a computer strapped to your wrist.

New, bloody good gps chip - it picks up signals fast, and keeps them even running under significant tree cover.

Totally waterproof for running etc.

Although watch like, it is big I have large wrists, but it still looks like a giant watch on me - it ain't discreet.

The wrist strap is semi solid, as it includes the antenna - I wouldn't want to wear it all day, it would get uncomfortable (but fine for a run/ride)

Not swimming waterproof.

With GPS on, battery life is about 8 hours (I think). Bottom line, you turn the GPS on to workout, and then remember to turn it off afterwards... (rechargeable internal battery, BTW).

If you don't have a 305, and need a training watch, get one. Don't pay much above £200, and make sure you're getting the whole package (watch, heart strap and USB antenna dongle for computer.) It's the best training aid I've had, and 'does what it says on the tin'.

PM if you want any more on it. I'm happy I bought it.
  3. I love it. Nuff said.
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Forgive the stupid question, but if i ran a regular route in a regular time, this is of no use to me right? Its only for fell runner type folk?

Or is there some assumption I am missing?
  5. I run regular routes and still use mine. It's handy to watch my pace and at the end I can asess my heart rate and average pace. It probaly is more useful for people who run anywhere anytime as they can auctually see how far they have gone etc. But i still think it is handy for using on a regular route.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

mmmmmm - going to have to get one. I'm currently using a 60CSx for my run/tab and cycle timings and distances, but it looks a bit funny on my wrist . . . . and it doesn't do my calorie burn either.

I'm trying to get not only my run times and fitness up, I've got to do it in such a manner that my 30's midriff gets killed off too.
  7. Are you going to get the 305 or 405?
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm going for the 405 - I've just ordered the belt clip and bike mount for me 60CSx while I was at it.