Gareth Thomas admits to being HIV+

Welsh rugby star Gareth Thomas has revealed that he is HIV positive.

Mr Thomas, who came out as gay in 2009, is thought to be the first UK sportsman to go public about living with the virus, and has revealed that he was driven to suicidal thoughts as a result of his diagnosis.

He told the Sunday Mirror: “I’ve been living with this secret for years. I’ve felt shame and keeping such a big secret has taken its toll."

Groups of men who think it a jolly jape to rub fiery jack into each other’s wedding tackle in the showers,
Followed by all standing at one end of the bar, drinking to the point of pissing themselves, whilst ignoring the wives/ girlfriends at the other end of the room.
All very odd.
I’m just surprised hiv hasn’t gone through rugby like a Kinshasa whorehouse.!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He was courageous when he came out, and would suggest even more so now.

To thine own self be true.

It is a shame that sports still has a huge stigma where folk have to conceal their true selves.

Groups of men who think it a jolly jape to rub fiery jack into each other’s wedding tackle in the showers,
Followed by all standing at one end of the bar, drinking to the point of pissing themselves, whilst ignoring the wives/ girlfriends at the other end of the room.
All very odd.
I’m just surprised hiv hasn’t gone through rugby like a Kinshasa whorehouse.!
PLEASE+ENGAGE+BRAIN+BEFORE+OPENING+MOUTH.jpg

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
First thing I’d want to know is when he caught it, whether or not he was playing rugby whilst infected albeit unknowingly. There was a case about 15 years ago about a player with Hepatitis and a player from his team told the News of the Word who outed him and he quit on the spot.

He should get more sympathy for having played for Wrexham, no one voluntarily wants to go to Wrexham

Welsh rugby star Gareth Thomas has revealed that he is HIV positive.

Mr Thomas, who came out as gay in 2009, is thought to be the first UK sportsman to go public about living with the virus, and has revealed that he was driven to suicidal thoughts as a result of his diagnosis.

He told the Sunday Mirror: “I’ve been living with this secret for years. I’ve felt shame and keeping such a big secret has taken its toll."
Didn't know then. Didn't care then. Surprisingly little has changed.

There may be issues re his blood bourne disease in a physical contact sport though

Didn't know then. Didn't care then. Surprisingly little has changed.

There may be issues re his blood bourne disease in a physical contact sport though
Hence the bloodbin law.
However, as a 'high risk' candidate for contracting HIV, one would have thought regular testing would have been at the front of his mind?

green_slime

Old-Salt
He has my sympathies, but I am not sure there is the stigma in society that he is referring to. I wish him well.

The current HIV treatments essentially mean it is impossible to transfer via fluid (blood)

So you take a similar line to the Black/immigrants argument that you can't take the pi55 'cos it's racist init?

In this case the guy was indeed strong enough to announce his sexuality but either not clever enough to have protected sex because of it, knowing there was the potential to get HIV as a result, then isn't strong enough when he catches it.

I'm not interested in his sexuality, I do know he was a great Rugby player (even though I prefer Wendy ball).

First thing I’d want to know is when he caught it, whether or not he was playing rugby whilst infected albeit unknowingly. There was a case about 15 years ago about a player with Hepatitis and a player from his team told the News of the Word who outed him and he quit on the spot.
I quit rugby, judo and wrestling when I found I had HepC, the week I got cleared 23 years later I got welcomed back to my old wrestling club. I think 57 is too old to start rugby again though.

So you take a similar line to the Black/immigrants argument that you can't take the pi55 'cos it's racist init?

In this case the guy was indeed strong enough to announce his sexuality but either not clever enough to have protected sex because of it, knowing there was the potential to get HIV as a result, then isn't strong enough when he catches it.

I'm not interested in his sexuality, I do know he was a great Rugby player (even though I prefer Wendy ball).
I'm not too sure what you are wittering on about, and I'm also pretty certain that old Cloth Bomber hasn't called upon any White Knights to rescue him.

The point of the meme, was A, the contrast between the 2nd and 3rd posts, and B, Cloth Bomber wittering on about Deep Heat, Pissing at the bar, girlfriends and whorehouses in a thread (Not in the NAFFI) about Gareth Thomas and HIV.

You're Cloth Bomber aren't you?

Last edited:

Latest Threads