GARETH KEENAN HITS TA RECRUITS

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Styron, Dec 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 5 December 2005
    GARETH HITS TA RECRUITS
    By Chris Hughes

[​IMG]

DAVID Brent's sidekick Gareth Keenan is damaging the image of the Territorial Army and hitting recruitment, military chiefs claim.

Now top brass are using the bumbling character from hit TV show The Office in MoD briefings as an example of how volunteers should not behave.

Millions of TV fans have squirmed while watching anorak Gareth (played by Mackenzie Crook) recount exaggerated tales of bravery and close combat as a weekend soldier.

But officials say the portrayal is putting people off joining - along with the risk of getting shot or blown up in Iraq. Membership is at its lowest level since 1999, with 5,400 places unfilled.

An Army insider said: "It's not going to have as major an effect on recruitment as Iraq and the prospect of getting killed but it doesn't help.

"Of course the TA has always been a vital part of the team and they are very good and reliable.

"But you wonder whether there are a few, and the Gareth image isn't far off the mark, who go back to their girlfriends after a TA weekend and talk about it as if they'd done two years in 'Nam."

The MoD said yesterday: "The Gareth character from The Office has featured in an internal presentation for officials as an example of public perceptions of the TA."

2. Amazing! but considering some journo claimed "Spooks" put women off applying for MI5 after one admin girlie got murdered and an operational officer got shot should we be surprised at the alleged gullibility of the great British TV viewer?

3. Nice to have official confirmation that it isn't the Govt's fault though. :roll:

4. That'll be why 500 a month have signed off! Too close to home for some ;-)

Or is it that they don't get paid, don't receive their bounty and get hugely fcuked about?
    Bliar will use anything to hide from the truth

5. Where was this article printed/posted?

It seems quite red top tabloid to me - "an Army insider said" etc

6. Deleted.

7. What a load of Bolloxs :roll:

Gareth is an Idol to us TA types. I want a Shoulder Holster for my phone. So I can be like him :lol:

8. ^The Sun wanted to follow a TA soldier (obviously it was going to be someone from 4 PARA) through the mobilisation process (and then onto Iraq) on Telic 1, I believe the MoD turned them down.

A waste of good PR for the TA.

9. We had that happen with a bloke from our mob during Telic 4 courtesy of sky news but i dont think it went ahead due to the bad press of how poorly eveything was run and the fact that the bloke stood to lose £6000 by deploying in business losses!

I think that bloke off the Office is Funny as fook. I couldnt give a crap if people think i am a glorified cadet. I enjoy it and i would rather people not actually know what it is all about. Makes it so much better when they ask oh so go on then where have you been with the "T.A's" and you say Gibralter Germany Canada Iraq Slovakia Cyprus Kuwait Bosnia Kosovo Afganistan etc etc.

Bring back dad's army i say!

10. I thought all TA were like Gareth. :roll:

11. He was a 2nd Lt wasnt he? so yes that is correct.

12. All the Gareth types join the AAC(V) :D

13. My dad has actually said I wonder what impression he gives out about TA personell......

Never really thought about it though, don't really care....

14. Wrong paper, they'd probrably tell how squaddies raped little girls around the streets of Nottingham and robbing old pensioners....

Of course it never happened...

15. I always preferred Mike off of "Spaced" as my comedy reservist.