Gardening Tips Please-Pampas Grass

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Furryturd, Feb 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The little woman wants to grow some pampas grass in the front garden.

Has anyone here ever grown it?

Are there any pitfalls in growing pampas grass?

Any information from experienced growers would be very helpful.

2. Brother my neighbour has some it grows too much, sucks water out so fast a good patch of his lawn is dead. When I cut his grass I treat it roughly but still it persists in living.

3. Its invasive, and can only be fully removed by burning.

If you have kids, the leaves are damn sharp and will cut if they grab them (as kids do).

If you want it that much grow it in a pot, and dig the pot in, that should prevent it taking over.

4. Just plant it and strangers will be knocking on your door with advice and tips on rooting, maybe a little help for you and your wife will comeforth.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Oh does she now? Isn't that a little 1970's?

• Like Like x 5
  6. What about some Lavender much more controllable or maybe hydrangea.
    Some bush fuchsia look nice I've one maybe about 20 year old now, been moved three times, quick hacking once a year, that's all it needs.

7. Pampas grass cuts your fingers to buggery. Our neighbours across the road had some in the 70's, I think they were part of a gardening club as we used to hear people leaving late at night honking their horns and stuf.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Looking to getting into Wife Swapping? I tried it, got a lovely set of golf clubs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Grow in a BFO container submerged into the ground, and cut it back regularly, if its possible once cut back to a reasonable hight say 18" burn it off. Ours comes back year on year just as strong.

10. Ground coverage?
    I would go for hydrangas and hebes. No maintenance whatsoever. Lavender good too

11. Hydrangeas are lovely and if you chuck some old iron underneath you get mixed coloured flowers.

12. now, about the soft furnishings...

• Like Like x 3
  13. I'm no good with stuff like that but I'm sure 'Supermatelot' could advise.

14. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Grows well in Orkney!

Good for a windbreak to grow your real plants behind

15. Try mahonia for a bit of winter colour, plus there's lot's of spikes to stop the sodding postman taking shortcuts.