Gardening Forum?

seat_sniffer2

War Hero
Slightly better pic of the rose 'Geoff Hamilton' from this evening. He led HG along the way to organic gardening before it became an 'in' thing, and was a brilliant proponent of practical gardening in more ways than one!
His family still run 'Barnsdale Gardens' I think - there is a website if you look on the 'interweb' if anyone is interested.

P.S. for anyone homesick about gardening 'North of the Border', I think you can get 'Beechgrove Gardens' on BBC iPlayer?
Might have been better if I'd added the photo - brain freeze!

Attachments

• Geoff Hamiton rose.JPG
    Geoff Hamiton rose.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
OK need advice. Despite been of an Irish family I have never grown spuds. (what's the point you English will only kill them, and I will have to go to America).
So they have flowered and now look like this. Are they ready? Been planted just under three months.
IMG_20220625_162258828_HDR.jpg

Londo

LE
OK need advice. Despite been of an Irish family I have never grown spuds. (what's the point you English will only kill them, and I will have to go to America).
So they have flowered and now look like this. Are they ready? Been planted just under three months.
View attachment 672794
Most likely still only pea size at the mo . I would leave until the haulms start to die back and harvest then .

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Most likely still only pea size at the mo . I would leave until the haulms start to die back and harvest then .
#MeToo. And would water in dry weather.

Send us your butter, milk and cream now!

TractorStats

War Hero
View attachment 672794
It depends what type. If they are an early season they might well be close. Mid season another couple of weeks and late season give them another month. Make sure they get plenty of water in dry weather. Farmers will be irrigating mid and late season spuds now for yield.

I would dig the soil away very carefully in one of the bags and have a look, put the soil back over if they don't look ready. If they look OK, try taking one and boiling to check taste and for ripeness. They wont spoil sat in the ground for a while longer even if they are ready.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

seat_sniffer2

War Hero
It depends what type. If they are an early season they might well be close. Mid season another couple of weeks and late season give them another month. Make sure they get plenty of water in dry weather. Farmers will be irrigating mid and late season spuds now for yield.

I would dig the soil away very carefully in one of the bags and have a look, put the soil back over if they don't look ready. If they look OK, try taking one and boiling to check taste and for ripeness. They wont spoil sat in the ground for a while longer even if they are ready.
Like what all above c/s's say. Any idea of the variety as it might give an indication of time to 'harvest'. Have they flowered, can't see from the pic. Also, I have previously mentioned remove any little 'fruits' from the haulms - they're toxic esp for weans & pets who might be attracted to them!

Attachments

• 20220625_172616.jpg
    20220625_172616.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

seat_sniffer2

War Hero
Good project. Lemon is easy to grow from seed. Flourishes better under cover.

This is year two...
Ours took a 'hissy fit' and nearly died off last year when HG decided, 'it's warm enough to go outside for a while' I was eventually allowed to bring it back in when it resembled a twig, poor thing!

Latest Threads