Gardening Forum?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There is some nice slimline water butts that also act as flower planters if you look around .
Look good but quite expensive last time I searched on gurgle .
I saw some of those. Threatened to buy a sunflower yellow one for over £200!!!!!

A slimline black one is all I ask ....

His Betterness thinks it downmarket to put water butts at the front of the house, or even at the side if they can be seen from the road.
I tend to agree, depending on where you live, and the demographic of your neighbours, and would your stately pile look like a Wayne and waynetta slum, with a large green plastic container plonked at the side of your house for all to see, vandalize and puncture (for shits and giggles) ? On the premise that if its not nailed down,and can be seen, some twat will steal it, its probably not such a good idea. ;)

Got 3 x 1,000 L containers (IBC's) that had been steam cleaned delivered on site for £125 thanks to Flea bay. Connected one to the Tractor Shed down pipe.
Located the other two at progressively lower points of the garden.
Top tank filled and contents run into lower second tank.
Second tank filled and contents run into lowest tank
Rinse and repeat until all are filled.
Thanks to the magic of gravity I have enough "Head" pressure I can run sprayers, sprinklers and hoses to any part of the garden.
For free

We have a few water butts, but round the back of the house, out of sight - see pic! When it comes to the start of night frosts etc., I disconnect the water feeds into the butts and release some of the contained water. This prevents the butt splitting, due to the water freezing and increasing its volume as ice! You could completely empty them and put away, but a bit of water inside will keep them from blowing around. Remember to block off the output of the drainpipe diverter if you use one. However, I stick a bit of hose pipe into the diverter output and feed it down to the drain, you may just be able to see them on the pic.

Autumn colours coming into the garden now so may pop a couple of photos if they look interesting.

Attachments

• Butt butt butt!.JPG
    Butt butt butt!.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
A 1000 liter or even in 3000 liter versions exists and take up less Space ? square and steel bars to stop them from busting...
You can even pile them up...top runs to bottom
Dépends on the climate you live in
Beware of the prices...1500 € for some and a couple of hundred for others
It's a big problem where i live, ( drought) it's almost every year now, or second

Just a couple of bunches of grapes from one of our vines

1631719054252.png

it’s an accidental harvest as Mrs 06 just stuck the vine in the ground on a very steep terrace 2 years ago, nothing last year and was nearly killed by a late frost. This year about 30 bunches of grapes, small but very nice to eat.

Next year we will prune it carefully and build a supporting frame and remember to reduce the number of bunches to try and enlarge the grapes as they are only half the size of normal grapes. Or have we been eating oversized Frankingrapes supplied by the supermarkets :)

My garden update.
Tom's.
The two small Roma plants did exceedingly well. Huge harvest 100's of perfect ones, a lot not ripening and a lot turned rotten and tossed.
The four Beefsteak plants did fair to middling. Plenty still ripening and a lot feeding the squirrels.
I had a bit of blight to keep me busy trimming and I also found this.....
20210817_101650.jpg

...that scared the crap out of me so I bashed its head in with a trowel.

Cucumber.
Started off well and we managed to grab quite a few but again blight took hold and I ended up ripping it all out.

My Beetroots, Spring Onions, or Radish never took hold. As HLD said earlier probably far to wet for them ever to do well.

The Lettuce did well and made quite a few salads.

The Peppers did well especially the small Red Buggers that are dammed hot but taste great in my homemade Salsa and Curries.

As usual the vast majority of the Harvest was given away by the wife because, well reasons that I know not.

All in all, not a great season because of the wet weather.

The positive side being that after buying the seeds and partially grown plants we probably saved $4.20 cents for our summer beer budget.

I've got some tomatoes left but I'm not sure if they will ripen.

Attachments

• IMG_20210916_130251.jpg
    IMG_20210916_130251.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210916_130234.jpg
    IMG_20210916_130234.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
Needs about a week of sunny weather . Even if they just turn orange , pick them when the plant starts dying back bring them in and put them in a bowl with a banana .
Soon turn red .
Thanks. The plant is dying back, so I have pulled the limbs off with the tomatoes still on and hung them up in the 'sun'.
By 'sun' I mean 'less rain'.

My garden update.
Tom's.
The two small Roma plants did exceedingly well. Huge harvest 100's of perfect ones, a lot not ripening and a lot turned rotten and tossed.
The four Beefsteak plants did fair to middling. Plenty still ripening and a lot feeding the squirrels.
I had a bit of blight to keep me busy trimming and I also found this.....
View attachment 604489
...that scared the crap out of me so I bashed its head in with a trowel.

Cucumber.
Started off well and we managed to grab quite a few but again blight took hold and I ended up ripping it all out.

My Beetroots, Spring Onions, or Radish never took hold. As HLD said earlier probably far to wet for them ever to do well.

The Lettuce did well and made quite a few salads.

The Peppers did well especially the small Red Buggers that are dammed hot but taste great in my homemade Salsa and Curries.

As usual the vast majority of the Harvest was given away by the wife because, well reasons that I know not.

All in all, not a great season because of the wet weather.

The positive side being that after buying the seeds and partially grown plants we probably saved $4.20 cents for our summer beer budget.
I have likely well over a thousand roma’s that have been full sized since August, nothing is turning red really, so far only picked a bushel of pink ones so far that l froze. As for horn worms, once they’re in your area that’s it, will never get rid of them permanently, but their insides are a nice shade of neon green when you squash them....Not sure if you’ve dealt with them before, but if there’s one, there’s a lot more of the little bastards, l just spray now and haven’t had a problem this year.

The runner beans are just about over, a tidy showing after a dismal start. We have lots of tomatoes but few are ripening; one lot of apple and green tomato chutney in the bag, more to follow by the look of it. The salad greens did well, and the spring onions and shallots but something ate most of the pak choi. Our single cucumber plant gave four on the first fruiting but there are lots flowering now, most of which probably won't go beyond the gherkin stage. The chillies are slow but might do well with a bit more sun.

A better year than I expected.

Londo

LE
Asparagus did fairly well but the season seemed much shorter than normal due to a cold start to the spring .
Blueberries and raspberries did very poorly but that was down to me not giving them any care early in the season for to various reasons .
Strawberries did very well but again a short season although still getting one or two ripe per day .

Runner beans and green beans did very well but coming to an end a few weeks early , still a couple of weeks picking I guess .

Carrots have been a disaster this year , slugs and snails thinned out too many seedlings . Out of a whole pack of seeds have only one carrot to show for it .
Radishes also performed poorly which is unusual .
Spring onions ok and another lot planted for next years crop .

Cucumbers have done well , three plants quite prolific and one plant has produced zilch .
Tomatoes . Three types of salad toms including a deep purple type have done very well however the two large varieties both lost a few flowers in the cold spring so less a harvest than usual but what's there are ripening OK and some already picked , turned into soup and frozen.

Leeks are doing excellently and already are larger than last years I picked in the spring so looking good for next years crop .

Marrows . Three plants as usual and I'm lucky if I get one or two marrows , this year have excelled themselves and have had twelve marrows already and there's still two more at half size .

Greenhouse has still to go up . Just not had the time or energy due to hospital visits , eye problems and the like .
Hope to get something sorted soon .