Gardening Forum?

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
for @Londo & anyone else who has not grown them before, a few words of caution. Plant them carefully in a part of the garden you can dig up easily. We grew them some years ago, and if you leave even the tiniest bit of root in the ground, they pop up again the following years! It took a lot of (deep) digging up, and riddling the earth to finally get rid of them. :eek: Lots of info about them on line
Sives and shake well

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
Mildew outbreak in certain régions of France at thé moment , tomates and vines, mainly!
The Champagne area are expecting up to 25 % loss of yeild
Heard of an auld wives tale about a remedy / cure...
When watering your patch, ...
Best to use rain water that you have recuperated, (200 litre barrel and a few bits of copper, short cut pipes thrown in)
Or and, use diluted bleach in a spray bottle....on the stems only
Am not sure if this curatif or préventif
Trial and error
Mildew and mould are the same kind of thingy
When you have mould in your bath room / showrer / bath or on your windows, you use bleach to get rid of
You can not use pure bleach on plants, it needs to be diluted ( how much, i do not know)
Spray the stems and snip the leaves that are affected...cut off all auxellier leaves that serve nowt and retain humidité
Space your plants...a hand spans and a half from each other
Any contantimated plants, severly affected, bin thèm and do no put on the compost heap (same for fruit tree leaves)
Plant some thing else next year

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jerusalem Artichokes are also supposedly up there with all varieties of beans for being excellent at producing flatulance.
And in many cases severe stomach pain.

OK need some advice on two matters;

Moles, how to get rid of them without using poison, traps or explosives, we have two curious spaniels who need to be protected, anyone any ideas as they are making the lawn somewhat agricultura.

Scale insects, we have three lemons in pots that live in the greenhouse in the winter and are moved outside when temperatures allow. Unfortunately they suffer from infestation by scale insects, so far we have sprayed and used a systemic insecticide and also tried physical removal to no avail, again any ideas.

Londo

LE
Harvested a couple more marrows last Wednesday , half one we had for dinner the next day stuffed with mincemeat and carrots and onions . The other half going to one of the daughters to do the same . But the other one about two and a half foot long was ridged along it's length and unlike most marrows which are a little paler along the underside this one although green on top underneath was yellow and white .
Looked evil like an alien egg and went straight into the compost , didn't fancy it at all .
Will have 2 more ready in a day or so and they look normal and will be given away .

@LepetitCaporal My leeks were planted out a couple of months back and all seem to be growing well .
Your mention of trimming the roots sounds interesting .

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
Fruit trees in pots...best to use carbolic soap and spray...wait till the fruits are semi developped (before the bugs attack)
The only remède i know for moles IS a couple of hungry tom cats

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
You need to trim the tail of the roots because of...(dried out) if you want them to get of to a good start
We must understand somthing here...m'y climat is not your climat and take all i reccomend with a pinch of salt
Post Schitum
I know my shit (here)

Londo

LE

Moles, how to get rid of them without using poison, traps or explosives, we have two curious spaniels who need to be protected, anyone any ideas as they are making the lawn somewhat agricultura.

Scale insects, we have three lemons in pots that live in the greenhouse in the winter and are moved outside when temperatures allow. Unfortunately they suffer from infestation by scale insects, so far we have sprayed and used a systemic insecticide and also tried physical removal to no avail, again any ideas.
couple of years ago I bought a strong nylon mesh from a garden centre to redo my fruit cage . The guy there said most people that bought it used it to mole proof their lawns .
It's pinned down and then turfs placed over or new seed grass grown through it and the critters can't get through plus you have a new lawn .
Expensive way of doing it though .

We have one lemon tree that is also in the greenhouse overwinter and brought out for summer but no sign of insect so can't help sorry .

You need to trim the tail of the roots because of...(dried out) if you want them to get of to a good start
We must understand somthing here...m'y climat is not your climat and take all i reccomend with a pinch of salt
Post Schitum
I know my shit (here)
Trimming roots works in UK as well, I do it mainly because once trimmed they are east to drop in.

Scale insects, try the physical removal - whats left dab with cotton wool/ cotton bud soaked in vodka.

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
Ricin, is another method
plant thèm (n.e.w.s)
Olive oil sprayed in a union jack way on your green is another method
Moles are hyper sensitive to smells and noises
If you have moles in your garden = you have a healthy garden ( okay, maybe not your lawn but moles are carnivores and eat all sorts of bugs and worrms)
They are also hyper sensitive to noise
Find their den and tackle from the source
Moles are capable of digging a 20 m tunnel in 24 hrs
They might be holed up in your neighbours garden
I doubt that you have more than a half of a dozen of moles at any old time
A cricket bat might be helpful

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ricin, is another method
plant thèm (n.e.w.s)
Olive oil sprayed in a union jack way on your green is another method
Moles are hyper sensitive to smells and noises
If you have moles in your garden = you have a healthy garden ( okay, maybe not your lawn but moles are carnivores and eat all sorts of bugs and worrms)
They are also hyper sensitive to noise
Find their den and tackle from the source
Moles are capable of digging a 20 m tunnel in 24 hrs
They might be holed up in your neighbours garden
I doubt that you have more than a half of a dozen of moles at any old time
A cricket bat might be helpful
Jasper Carrot walt.

His soliloquy on moles is hilarious and informative.

I like the look of that cordless mini- chainsaw....... might even appeal to pros like @TamtamPWRR to do a little lopping without getting the serious gear out.
Before you do buy it, the serious chainsaw makers such as Stihl and Husqvarna are doing cordless chainsaws and power tools now, and pretty reasonable prices too. Honey Brothers are near me and do good prices, also Mole Valley Farmers. Welcome to Honey Brothers | Honey Brothers

Not another bee picture - well actually it is to be honest. Found this one asleep in our mixed flower bed. Obviously it had a hard day buzzing about, or overdosed on the amber nectar. I know the feeling, and have gone to sleep it off in some strange places over the years myself!

Attachments

• Sleepy Bee.JPG
    Sleepy Bee.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Onto another subject, for those who may not be aware. Now is the best time to start saving your tomato seeds from your crop so you can save a packet - Ta da!
Head gardener take one of her various tomatoes off the vines, splits them and removes the seeds inside. (Unfortunately this method will not work for Hybrid varieties - much like other plants etc.) Then pops them into a bit of water in an old yoghurt pot etc., and covers the top with a bit of cling film - see step 1. Leaves them for about a week or so, to let the bits round the seed 'rot' away. Then she cleans them off under a sieve and lays them out to dry - step 2. Pops the seeds into marked small envelopes, or such, and then into the 'chiller' drawer in the fridge until next Spring. You can find more on the i/net, but this system has worked ok for many years. I made up a small spreadsheet so she can keep track of what's what!

Attachments

• Tom seeds 2021 Step 1.JPG
    Tom seeds 2021 Step 1.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Tom seeds 2021 Step 2.JPG
    Tom seeds 2021 Step 2.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Tom seeds 2021 list small.JPG
    Tom seeds 2021 list small.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 3
Not another bee picture - well actually it is to be honest. Found this one asleep in our mixed flower bed. Obviously it had a hard day buzzing about, or overdosed on the amber nectar. I know the feeling, and have gone to sleep it off in some strange places over the years myself!
I saw the same thing on a dahlia last year except it was late evening so the bumblebee folded a petal over as a bee sleeping bag. Checked at sparrows the next morning, she was still there. Last time I checked at about 8am she had gone. Rather clever creatures bumblebees.

Latest Threads