Gardening Forum?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Some of you will be familiar with Droopy McBrewer, one of my cacti which looks like - let's not mince words here - a large and slightly bent penis with a circlet of pink flowers around his tip.

Due to recent rains, his impersonation has become even more convincing as for several days after the rains he has exuded a clear sticky substance from around his, ahem, flowering area!

After a couple of days drying out (I should probably try that myself some time ;-) ) he managed to produce a flower that wasn't all sticky, and the droplets of liquid disappeared. So on a serious note, I guess he was trying to get rid of excess water rather than become all soggy and get root rot.

I found this quite interesting ...

It's probably guttation. Normal but best avoided.

Guttation /link

There used to be copper sulphate based fungicides which were brilliant for everything from mildew and blight to phytophthora and seed dampoff, but sadly no longer readily available. The copper pipes trick I'll be using now.

Sulfuric Acid and Batteries​

Sulfuric acid has countless potential uses. Because it is easily diluted, it can be used for anything from skin care to construction jobs. In addition, you can use sulfuric acid when you need to cause a specific chemical reaction. For this reason, sulfuric acid is a major component in various sorts of batteries.

Large-power batteries such as those found in hospital imaging equipment, car batteries and farm equipment batteries all contain sulfuric acid. Batteries like these rely on the chemical reaction that sulfuric acid has when it meets lead. The electrons that are generated from that combination are what the battery needs to produce voltage.

As far as copper off- cuts in water is concerned, I think it will depend on your water type...... Ortolith is a chemist, isn't he ?

Hard water is full of lime, and I don't think it would dissolve the copper to produce the sulphate, the same way our NE water would........ it comes off peat moors, so is very soft and slightly acidic

You could probably throw a quidsworth of tuppenny bits in a bottle of Coke to get a stronger solution to water down........ @Ortholith ?

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
It's probably guttation. Normal but best avoided.

Guttation /link

Thanks for that info. I'd never encountered this before. My cacti normally go outside in the summer and it's rare for them to get over-watered, but then I can't remember ever having so many pissing downpours before!

Did it rain on St Swithin's day and I missed something ??

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Artichauts and Thistles are of the same family

You are indeed correct in that what we call "globe artichokes" are thistle family.

Not to be confused with "jerusalem artichokes" which I believe are a kind of root, and should probably not be called "artichokes".

This is why I shy away from gardening!

Anyone familiar with what the going price of fresh sweet corn is this summer? Not supermarket, but farm gate and market rate.

I must grow some next year :-D

for @Londo & anyone else who has not grown them before, a few words of caution. Plant them carefully in a part of the garden you can dig up easily. We grew them some years ago, and if you leave even the tiniest bit of root in the ground, they pop up again the following years! It took a lot of (deep) digging up, and riddling the earth to finally get rid of them. :eek: Lots of info about them on line.

Londo

LE
for @Londo & anyone else who has not grown them before, a few words of caution. Plant them carefully in a part of the garden you can dig up easily. We grew them some years ago, and if you leave even the tiniest bit of root in the ground, they pop up again the following years! It took a lot of (deep) digging up, and riddling the earth to finally get rid of them. :eek: Lots of info about them on line.
Thanks for the info . Much the same for mint then , only to grow in pots for that stuff else you will never get rid of .

Latest Threads