Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardening Forum?

Stay organic, but get the slugs.

Just get a dozen plastic freezer containers from the pound shops.

Using metal tube, heated on the gas cooker, bore a couple of holes through the sides.

Pop in half a dozen slug pellets and dot amongst your veg..... it gets the slugs, but keeps the poison off your garden and stops the hedgehogs from eating the poisoned slugs.

L

lumpy2

So I've gone from a 65mt x 30mt garden that had greenhouse, raised veggie beds, pond and massive flower beds in it to a postage stamp. I've bought some old beer barrels and halved them for some veg but how do i make the postage stamp look bigger? No idea what Im doing with this garden so any help appreciated.

Annie, I'm not sure if this suggestion would be viable in your garden, but here goes.

I'm very fond of conifers for year-round interest, and got the following tip from Adrian Bloom (son of the late Alan Bloom of Bressingham fame).

He recommends planting dwarf or smaller conifers at the far end of the garden. Sounds counter-intuitive, but actually gives the illusion that the garden is longer because they appear further away.

Good luck with your "postage stamp" :)

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Employ a couple of midgets as gardeners........ they will make the garden look so much bigger as you look out of your kitchen window.

if you replace your window with a concave lens your normal sized trees and gardeners will appear much smaller.

you'll also look massive to the staff as they beaver away in your garden.

probably.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Right then Arrse experts. I've got a narrow but fairly long garden and want to plant a tree at the bottom in an area which is shaded by 2 mature maples, one either side in the neighbours gardens, and a 6 ft hedge. The area is in more or less constant shade, but gets a couple of hours sunlight in the morning.

The original idea was to provide screening as the garden is overlooked by houses to the rear. For that purpose, and to keep myself amused I've managed to grow an oak sapling from an acorn I collected last winter in a local park.

My original intention was to transplant said oak sapling to the necessary spot but now you lot have got me wondering if there are any fruit trees that would perform the screening function and provide an edible crop in shady conditions and UK weather. I've no real idea about soil type etc but at a guess it's a silty loam.

I've only recently started dabbling in this gardening malarkey but the chilli plants on my kitchen windowsill seem to be doing ok so far, I've also just bought a plastic greenhouse tent thing to stick them in, is there anything else I can stick in there and get a return from or have I missed the boat this year?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I think as summer weather seems to be appearing later this year, you could get away with planting just about anything right now....that's if the good weather lasts a bit longer!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've no idea how you persuade your dog to consume it. or how much you need to get into them. just something I was told a while ago.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Postage stamp garden? A simple con is one or more large mirrors. Get ones that will stand being outside a while, place carefully on walls so that they reflect back a nice view from the most common vantage points, and ensure that there is something surrounding the edges if possible. I've seen them used very well to give an impression of a much larger garden than actually exists.

sundance

War Hero
Any tips for dog urine scorch marks on grass? Caused by 16 week Cocker Spaniel.

Is he still pissing like a girl? He will eventually start marking territory as he gets older which will lessen the problem as he wazzes up walls, posts etc rather than squatting on your lawn.

Theres something called a pee post or similar that smells like another dogs piss to him and will encourage him to go in the same place to mark over it. Try google.

I've a 2 year old lab bitch who will burst rather than pee on concrete and has my garden ruined with peeing, eating grass and digging. Unfortunately bitches don't mark territory in the same way.

EDIT- no idea if the pee post thing works or not but why not get an older dog to come round and show him how it's done.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Toppers, where's that photo of Shitlips with his head in the bag of food? Little rat.

Boys, it's a dog, it can't speak English It speaks "Oooh, you feed me, can I sleep with you? You do best cuddles. Tucker time? Nicey".

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Toppers, where's that photo of Shitlips with his head in the bag of food? Little rat.

Boys, it's a dog, it can't speak English It speaks "Oooh, you feed me, can I sleep with you? You do best cuddles. Tucker time? Nicey".

dunno but I've got the pic of him with his eye patch and hook on one of the laptops at home.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Stuped thing coodn't spell either....

Latest Threads