Gardening Forum?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for that info. I'll bear that in mind . They were a bit vague with me on delivery times quoting 8 to 14 weeks due to supply problems regarding covid .
They are however local to me so I can go down and bang on someone's counter if displeased :)
(or throw stones as they are glass greenhouses )
Checked the newspaper. It was a different firm with a one word name. Sorry to have caused worry.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure whether this is gardening or 'things that irritate '.

Here goes.

I used to have an excellent cast iron watering can, with a very efficient rose for the spout. Unfortunately the previous Mr. GRB managed to run over it when using it for a vehicle-related task. Since then I have owned a succession of increasingly expensive but increasingly useless plastic watering cans, with roses that block, dribble, and waste more water than they direct onto my plants.

Can the arrse gardeners (ooerr missis) recommend a decent watering can, with a rose that works for more than five minutes, and preferably a dribble bar as well?

My blood pressure thanks you.

Londo

LE

Here goes.

I used to have an excellent cast iron watering can, with a very efficient rose for the spout. Unfortunately the previous Mr. GRB managed to run over it when using it for a vehicle-related task. Since then I have owned a succession of increasingly expensive but increasingly useless plastic watering cans, with roses that block, dribble, and waste more water than they direct onto my plants.

Can the arrse gardeners (ooerr missis) recommend a decent watering can, with a rose that works for more than five minutes, and preferably a dribble bar as well?

You forget to mention my pet hate . The rose that falls off , drowning the plant that's being watered .
Best bet regarding galvanised watering cans is to find an old junk or second hand shop or ask friends and neighbours if they have one they no longer use knocking about in their ummmm shed .

Here goes.

Now, last year Mrs P came back from Aldi with a very nice galvanised watering can mitt detachable Rose. It cost £10 and was in the 'Aisle of dreams'.
Haven't seen them since, but worth an ask as it is gardening season for them.

Now, last year Mrs P came back from Aldi with a very nice galvanised watering can mitt detachable Rose. It cost £10 and was in the 'Aisle of dreams'.
Haven't seen them since, but worth an ask as it is gardening season for them.
The funny is for the phrase "Aisle of dreams". I am pinching that one! :D

Here goes.

Sadly I can not recommend any watering cans to you as I suffer from the same problem as you, even my galvanised iron can suffers from rose block, if you find the holy grail of watering cans please let me know.

Just to illustrate how annoyed I became with one such item, I kicked our last expensive watering can and reduced it to a piece of recycling plastic only fit for a trip to the dump. I however had to concoct a cover story as Mrs 06 would not have approved of my actions.

Londo

LE
View attachment 556480
I noticed some contributors have their tomato plants at the seedling stage. As ever I’m late and have just dropped the seeds into their pots.
I’ve grown tomatoes for years, in the ground, in grow-bags, in large pots - sometimes with tomato planters other-times without. The greenhouse plants get all the care and attention, the extra plants get planted out and generally ignored but still give a crop of sorts.
Last year I bought some really cheap fabric containers from Wilko and cut the bottom out of some plastic pots. Using one grow-bag, the mix was split into three fabric containers, pushed the bottomless pots on top and the plants into the pots - some extra mix/compost was needed to top the pot up. The three containers were placed on a grow-bag tray, quite cheap from the Range. The liquid feed mix went into the pot and plain water between the pot and the fabric container. Crops were really good (Moneymaker and Roma) and the outlay for materials was minimum.
I’m OK at growing the Moneymaker as a vine but still have issues understanding the Roma grown as a bush. With the latter I just hack away at it to remove the greenery and end up with a monster.
This was last year’s effort, unfortunately the bottomless pots are out of shot to the left. The Roma are the far 6.
View attachment 556485
Outstanding . One question though . How many trusses do you allow on each moneymaker before you pinch out the growing tip ?
I normally allow 4 sometimes 5 and strip off all the side shoots below the first truss once I've done that . Any suckers are pinched out too , need to check the plants every other day for them they grow so quick .
Also I I tend to thin out any side shoots that are blocking sunlight from the trusses .
Always seem to get a good crop .

Sadly I can not recommend any watering cans to you as I suffer from the same problem as you, even my galvanised iron can suffers from rose block, if you find the holy grail of watering cans please let me know.

Just to illustrate how annoyed I became with one such item, I kicked our last expensive watering can and reduced it to a piece of recycling plastic only fit for a trip to the dump. I however had to concoct a cover story as Mrs 06 would not have approved of my actions.
Bingo chaps, metal watering cans to go with your boots!
1619279046663.png

Outstanding . One question though . How many trusses do you allow on each moneymaker before you pinch out the growing tip ?
I normally allow 4 sometimes 5 and strip off all the side shoots below the first truss once I've done that . Any suckers are pinched out too , need to check the plants every other day for them they grow so quick .
Also I I tend to thin out any side shoots that are blocking sunlight from the trusses .
Pretty much the same regime as yourself. On an overcast summer I would pinch out after four trusses, last year I left it till seven - taller greenhouse.
I also watch the trusses don’t overload otherwise they start to peel away, although I have tied them up in the past.
Tomorite is the feed of choice, twice a week once flowering starts. I count for five or six seconds pouring into the centre for top roots. Other watering is as required on the outside for bottom roots.
I’ve had some minor blight problems but just cut out the infected tom and adjust the water.
I’m a bit behind this year and have yet to plant out in their final position.
Trying some Black Russian this year as well.

Londo

LE
Pretty much the same regime as yourself. On an overcast summer I would pinch out after four trusses, last year I left it till seven - taller greenhouse.
I also watch the trusses don’t overload otherwise they start to peel away, although I have tied them up in the past.
Tomorite is the feed of choice, twice a week once flowering starts. I count for five or six seconds pouring into the centre for top roots. Other watering is as required on the outside for bottom roots.
I’ve had some minor blight problems but just cut out the infected tom and adjust the water.
I’m a bit behind this year and have yet to plant out in their final position.
Trying some Black Russian this year as well.
Most my toms I grow outdoors as at the moment I have a very small unheated greenhouse .
Normally grow about 12 plants plus a couple of salad type toms and a couple of speciality types .
Might seem a lot but any surplus toms just get thrown into bags and into the freezer as the Mrs makes some rather nice tomato soup in winter .
Have a large greenhouse 8'x8' ft on order but I fear the growing season will be over by the time that is delivered and erected .
Oh well , next year .

I normally allow 6 or 7 trusses but a lot depends on the location of the tomatoes and how many hours of sunlight they get. Towards the end of the season I strip all the lower leaves so the bottom half (approx) is bare except for the lower trusses.

Moles, I have had a particularly good crop of moles this winter, taken about a dozen wheelbarrow loads of hills from the lawn.

Anyone any ideas as to how to discourage (non destructive I’m not after Mole Armagedden) them from inhabiting my lawn, quite happy to displace them next door as he is an ex Scaley.

Moles, I have had a particularly good crop of moles this winter, taken about a dozen wheelbarrow loads of hills from the lawn.

Anyone any ideas as to how to discourage (non destructive I’m not after Mole Armagedden) them from inhabiting my lawn, quite happy to displace them next door as he is an ex Scaley.
A old trick was pickled onions every so often in their runs. The only problem with that is they just move or dig new runs.

A old trick was pickled onions every so often in their runs. The only problem with that is they just move or dig new runs.
Or have a deaf cat, though not a "non mole destructive" technic. The deaf bit is important as he was hopeless at catching birds and small mammals as he could not hear them rustling but would spend hours watching a mole hill and the moment the soil moved he would pounce and quickly dig.

He was very proud to trot back to the house, mole in jaws, having actually caught something.