Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardening Forum?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't bother with brassicas this spring, but set some seeds away in October after the bloody caterpillars had gone.

Germinated about 40 seedlings, potted them on, then planted in the unused greenhouse a couple of weeks ago....... doing well now, should have cabbage by Christmas, through to spring.

Still worth a go if you can germinate them inside first.
Might try that next year, as I lost everything this year, swedes, various cabbages, cauliflower, kale all eaten to lace by the little fluttery bar stewards.

Might try that next year, as I lost everything this year, swedes, various cabbages, cauliflower, kale all eaten to lace by the little fluttery bar stewards.

One plant that doesn't seem to get bothered by the pests is Swiss Chard.

Even though the leaves are thought to be very delicate, only needing a light steaming, they are very hardy, and will over winter quite well, to be up and running for an early crop next spring.

If you can get hold of Rainbow Chard, it comes up in lovely colours, from gold to dark red, so can be planted amongst flowers, as a foliage backing, as well.

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Same for me although I still have some purple sprouting broccoli that seem to have survived the massacre , grown new leaf and am waiting to see what happens next spring , This is a new plant for me to grow .

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs

Even though the leaves are thought to be very delicate, only needing a light steaming, they are very hardy, and will over winter quite well, to be up and running for an early crop next spring.

If you can get hold of Rainbow Chard, it comes up in lovely colours, from gold to dark red, so can be planted amongst flowers, as a foliage backing, as well.
Think I have some rainbow chard seeds amongst my stock of free seeds , will have to have a look and see when is the best time to plant .

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

On my list for next year ...

Thanks for the tip.

Same for me although I still have some purple sprouting broccoli that seem to have survived the massacre , grown new leaf and am waiting to see what happens next spring , This is a new plant for me to grow .

I trim mine back now, then usually get a small crop very early, before it bolts, again very tough plants.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I trim mine back now, then usually get a small crop very early, before it bolts, again very tough plants.
Perhaps we could have a 'vinnies garden jobs for the week' thread? Help us all to learn?

Last edited:
My greatest talent as a gardener is knowing what I can't kill, or won't just feed the bloody caterpillars.

Coming to the end of my strength, I'm sticking to leeks, chard, rhubarb, brocc, and these winter cabbages look like being a winner.
One thing I've noticed recently with the weather being so mild, is big infestations in cabbages and brussels and kale. I've made a garlic, pepper and onion spray to use on them, though that won't kill the eggs.

One thing I've noticed recently with the weather being so mild, is big infestations in cabbages and brussels and kale. I've made a garlic, pepper and onion spray to use on them, though that won't kill the eggs.

What of ?

Although I believe you live well south of me, not noticed any problems up here in Durham.

Sabretooth

War Hero
Day time temp 76f and we had the first rain in 110 days yesterday, I am still harvesting tomatoes and have carrots, parsnips, potatoes, and onions in the ground although a few greens died in the low temps overnight Ican't help but think the worst is yet to come.

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Day time temp 76f and we had the first rain in 110 days yesterday, I am still harvesting tomatoes and have carrots, parsnips, potatoes, and onions in the ground although a few greens died in the low temps overnight Ican't help but think the worst is yet to come.
Good luck with you're veggie growing . Can't beat a nice harvest from the garden .

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Yesterday after taking the wife for a walk I had a look at my raised bed full of carrots .
Noticed that most were starting to push themselves a half inch or so above the soil .
Fair few were getting the exposed tops eaten by slugs so decided to pull them .
Damaged ones went into the coop for the hens complete with little black slugs in the holes they had eaten . ( about one in five plus a couple seemed to have carrot fly holes )
The rest went into a tub of sand and in the shed .
Did about half the 6' x 6' bed The other half was going to do today but it's been raining .

Sabretooth

War Hero
Yesterday after taking the wife for a walk I had a look at my raised bed full of carrots .
Noticed that most were starting to push themselves a half inch or so above the soil .
Fair few were getting the exposed tops eaten by slugs so decided to pull them .
Damaged ones went into the coop for the hens complete with little black slugs in the holes they had eaten . ( about one in five plus a couple seemed to have carrot fly holes )
The rest went into a tub of sand and in the shed .
Did about half the 6' x 6' bed The other half was going to do today but it's been raining .
Never had carrot flies and it's too hot for slugs here, There again we really only have two seasons, Summer and winter. My problem is animals burrowing and Rabbits although Javalina tends to make a mess of everything. When I get time I will remove all the soil from the beds (3 8x4) and lay wire netting on the bottom and start again. Will try green beans and peas plus normal roots. Still, it will soon be summer so I will be outside more +/- 100 degrees.

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Never had carrot flies and it's too hot for slugs here, There again we really only have two seasons, Summer and winter. My problem is animals burrowing and Rabbits although Javalina tends to make a mess of everything. When I get time I will remove all the soil from the beds (3 8x4) and lay wire netting on the bottom and start again. Will try green beans and peas plus normal roots. Still, it will soon be summer so I will be outside more +/- 100 degrees.
Carrot fly a bad problem for me usually as a lot of carrot fields in my neck of the woods . The farmers spray their fields , I don't spray . Not too bad a problem this year though as first time carrots in that bed , next year will be growing in tubs well above ground level . Should keep them off .

I normally grow green beans in those tubs so will be a bit of a swap between the two crops . The beans going into the raised bed . My main crop though is runner beans , very productive and my three bean frames normally keep us going 10/11 months of the year as we freeze them .
We freeze surplus tomatoes as well , wife will pull a bag out the freezer every now and again and make a load of tomato soup . A nice warming soup in the winter .

Javelina funnily enough cropped up today talking to someone else .
Nice eating apparently :-D

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Went to pull a couple of small leeks today from a 5' x 3'wooden planter . I have larger leeks in the soil but ran out of space for these two .
Had a mixed crop in this planter . A few carrots , now long eaten , a couple of tomato plants , one at each end and a strawberry plant someone gave me that I just had no room for in my fruit cage at the time . Had a couple of nice fruit from it too .
It has grown huge about two foot across and a foot high and it is flowering , about 20 flowers on the thing .
Very strange for this time of year I would have thought .

Latest Threads