Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardening Forum?

Londo

LE
My most successful improvised tomato plant support - by far - was some galvanised wire mesh. Fairly substantial guage wire and approx 10cm centres.
I cut it and bent it to form a circle about 80cm dia. and drove a single stake into the ground to steady it.
It is loaded with toms and can easily support mesh to keep birds off.
I do similar to keep the bloody chickens off the toms .

For some weird reason the cucumber plant gave up quite a few Cukes but then started to rot pretty quickly, the same happened to the neighbours plants too, and he had 8 plants. He had read that an invasion of white moth was the culprit laying thousands of eggs on the leaves then the tiny gits ate the leaves after hatching < hatching??

A few more lessons.
I bought a cheap $ store metal trowel which broke on the replanting day after 2 diggings. I then buggered off and bought a $13 trowel which broke on the replanting day after about 20 digs. The $21 metal trowel is still good. That lesson cost $35 - don't buy cheap stuff.

What did come in handy were 4 x 3'6" tall bamboo trellises I picked up from the $ store that I used for propping up the tomato branches. The circular metal ring trellises were useless as they soon collapsed under the weight.

I'm also glad I used a cut up plastic ice cream carton to mark what the plants were, it's easy to forget what the seedlings or pre-grown plantings actually are.
The chances are it was the cucumber beetle and not a moth that killed the plants off, it was prevalent in southern Ontario this year.

Beers may have been involved so it's quite possible the moth story was about something completely different entirely.
The green bastärd in the pic l posted is what was destroying tomato crops this year, it becomes a a giant moth, 3-4”, could be that’s the origin of the moth idea.

Londo

LE
Not going to plant brassica's anymore , just have no luck with them .
Purple sprouting broccoli and Buussel sprouts have been decimated yet again . Don't think it's been cabbage whites this time as the plants have been netted and the couple of minor infestations have been dealt with by a spray of soapy water

Lass next door is heavily into foraging. Think female Ray Mears. I told her I had mushrooms growing in my garden.
Showed her the one, bin it, it'll kill you if you eat it.
Showed her the other, SEP PORCINI.
Worth fecking loads apparently and really tasty, got a few of them growing up there. I cut it off so the bit that allows it to grow is still intact.
Got them for next year now I know what they are. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Harvested the onions today, even though l bent the tops over mid August, they still wouldn’t stop growing. Lost about 50% from poor weather conditions in June/July, many were deformed and not suitable for long term storage. Roughly 200 in total drying down in the cellar for a few weeks then they’ll be bagged.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
As Londo said, but if you have Food Saver or other vacuum sealer unit it makes them last even longer. Did you have an invasion of these little bästards?

That looks like a hawk moth caterpillar. I'd love to see them, but maybe not so much if they were eating my veg.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Harvested the onions today, even though l bent the tops over mid August, they still wouldn’t stop growing. Lost about 50% from poor weather conditions in June/July, many were deformed and not suitable for long term storage. Roughly 200 in total drying down in the cellar for a few weeks then they’ll be bagged.
Excellent. I grew shallots, but being a novice to their production, I think I harvested too soon.

Londo

LE
It's still a crop and been funny weather this year for a lot of veggies .

That looks like a hawk moth caterpillar. I'd love to see them, but maybe not so much if they were eating my veg.
You are correct, this side of the pond they call them the tomato hornworm, never had them until this summer, the region is infested with them.

Londo

LE
Excellent. I grew shallots, but being a novice to their production, I think I harvested too soon.
I don't have a lot of luck with onions in my garden ( nor brassicas ) think my soil is wrong for them . . I do normally cram a load of onion stets into pots to get nice early spring onions though .

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
You are correct, this side of the pond they call them the tomato hornworm, never had them until this summer, the region is infested with them.

I've always felt slightly disappointed that the famous Death's Head Hawkmoth caterpillar feeds on something as mundane as potatoes ...

I've always felt slightly disappointed that the famous Death's Head Hawkmoth caterpillar feeds on something as mundane as potatoes ...
Imagine flying a 'Death's Head Hawkmoth' bi-plane against the Bismark the name alone would have given you balls of steel.

I don't have a lot of luck with onions in my garden ( nor brassicas ) think my soil is wrong for them . . I do normally cram a load of onion stets into pots to get nice early spring onions though .
I'll be seeding SO's early indoors next year as well I think.

Here is an example of one of my red onions that went wonky and not suitable for dry storing. Surprisingly they are extremely sweet in comparison to the standard reds that grew normally, I plan to use as many as possible in salads then cut up and freeze the rest before they become inedible.

Londo

LE
I'll be seeding SO's early indoors next year as well I think.
Spring onions I plant from seed , some behind glass or indoors and some outside . But if you want some earlies get some onion sets and plant tightly onto a pot for an early spring crop of very small onions to use as spring onions . .

Londo

LE
Shallots now theres an idea for next year.
Very nice fried with sausages for some strange reason , seem to taste better than normal onions .
The other main use is to use them for pickled onions .

Didn't bother with brassicas this spring, but set some seeds away in October after the bloody caterpillars had gone.

Germinated about 40 seedlings, potted them on, then planted in the unused greenhouse a couple of weeks ago....... doing well now, should have cabbage by Christmas, through to spring.

Still worth a go if you can germinate them inside first.