Gardening Forum?

I need a pair of good quality heavy-duty bypass secateurs .

(About 30m of rhododendron hedge to prune, just for starters :-( )

I've looked online at some expensive ones - WolfGarten, Fiskars, etc - but, with most things, the suspiciously good reviews seem to be offset by "real world" bad reviews (broke after three weeks, button keeps jamming, etc). Seems that even top brands have the made-in-China affliction these days.

Are there any pro horticulturists on here that have strong views or recommendations for decent kit?
We have tried them all, and have ended up buying Felco secateurs, not cheap but well made and ergonomically well designed. Last for years if you don’t drop them in a bonfire or bury them somewhere. Can be dismantled for servicing and blade sharpening.

I need a pair of good quality heavy-duty bypass secateurs .

(About 30m of rhododendron hedge to prune, just for starters :-( )

I've looked online at some expensive ones - WolfGarten, Fiskars, etc - but, with most things, the suspiciously good reviews seem to be offset by "real world" bad reviews (broke after three weeks, button keeps jamming, etc). Seems that even top brands have the made-in-China affliction these days.

Are there any pro horticulturists on here that have strong views or recommendations for decent kit?
Burgon and Ball.
Problem solved and a British business supported . ( Lifetime guarantee - get your kids to buy it )

Can anyone recommend a planting scheduling App ?

I have acquired 21 No. 5m x 2m raised beds and have spent the last 5 months Digging for Victory ! and in the process discovered that this forms a big part of how I intend to spend the rest of my days.

Have had some great successes, baffling failures, learned a lot and realise there is so much more to learn.

Particularly concerning is a) growing too much of any one variety and b) having strong seedlings ready to plant out when you harvest other stuff.

All this plus what did I grow, where, when, watering, weather, when composted etc etc.

Just can't remember all this stuff anymore.

Any recommendations on App things ?

Londo

LE

I have acquired 21 No. 5m x 2m raised beds and have spent the last 5 months Digging for Victory ! and in the process discovered that this forms a big part of how I intend to spend the rest of my days.

Have had some great successes, baffling failures, learned a lot and realise there is so much more to learn.

Particularly concerning is a) growing too much of any one variety and b) having strong seedlings ready to plant out when you harvest other stuff.

All this plus what did I grow, where, when, watering, weather, when composted etc etc.

Good for you for taking up veg. gardening . Can't help with apps but there are plenty of gardening forums on the net . A good one being 'Kitchen Garden' I'm not a member but do look in from time to time to get some tips .
They also do a very good magazine with plenty of free seeds every month which is good if you like salads :) Some quite useful ones too apart from the usual salad leaf stuff .
The only seeds I actually buy are peas , runner beans and french beans .

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Dr. Hessayon's books are great.
BBC Gardeners World is also helpful, particularly if you subscribe to the magazine. You get access to a website with loads of info and jobs for the week type stuff.

I have resorted to keeping a notebook as well, so I can refer to it next year.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Good for you for taking up veg. gardening . Can't help with apps but there are plenty of gardening forums on the net . A good one being 'Kitchen Garden' I'm not a member but do look in from time to time to get some tips .
They also do a very good magazine with plenty of free seeds every month which is good if you like salads :) Some quite useful ones too apart from the usual salad leaf stuff .
I have just bought some Pentland Javelin seed potatoes which claim they will be ready for Christmas. Going to try them in a big pot.

Londo

LE
I have just bought some Pentland Javelin seed potatoes which claim they will be ready for Christmas. Going to try them in a big pot.
I no longer buy seed potatoes , just don't have the room for them in my veg beds .
I do plant some old spuds that started sprouting in pots and tubs that become vacant however . Moved to a narrow space behind my rhubarb and sweetcorn this year that catches no sunlight as it's up against a fence .
Spuds are so cheap to buy around here anyway .

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I no longer buy seed potatoes , just don't have the room for them in my veg beds .
I do plant some old spuds that started sprouting in pots and tubs that become vacant however . Moved to a narrow space behind my rhubarb and sweetcorn this year that catches no sunlight as it's up against a fence .
Spuds are so cheap to buy around here anyway .
So long as you don't put them into soil that's grown potatoes, you should avoid blight, but the Irish learned that lesson the hard way in the 19th Century ;-)

I grew spuds because I wanted to break up the soil in my new raised bed, and they do taste nicer than shop bought, but like you can't grow many. Might try odd varieties next year, Pink Fir Apple or purple ones. My purple carrots have been nice this year.

Good info, Cheers !

Dr. Hessayon's books are great.
BBC Gardeners World is also helpful, particularly if you subscribe to the magazine. You get access to a website with loads of info and jobs for the week type stuff.

I have resorted to keeping a notebook as well, so I can refer to it next year.
Notebook ! What a brilliant idea - I know how to use one of them - just haven't for a while.

Will look up Dr Hessayon , thanks.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Notebook ! What a brilliant idea - I know how to use one of them - just haven't for a while.

Will look up Dr Hessayon , thanks.
He's the best selling author in the world. His books are easy to understand and have lots of pictures, along with advice about pests and diseases. Highly recommended by me.

Londo

LE
So long as you don't put them into soil that's grown potatoes, you should avoid blight, but the Irish learned that lesson the hard way in the 19th Century ;-)

I grew spuds because I wanted to break up the soil in my new raised bed, and they do taste nicer than shop bought, but like you can't grow many. Might try odd varieties next year, Pink Fir Apple or purple ones. My purple carrots have been nice this year.
Once the pots have had spuds in I only re-use that soil in the flower beds to avoid blight getting into the veg beds .
I grow a fair few tomato plants so wouldn't want it spreading to them .

My goosegog bushery is being decimated by the bally goosegog sawfly. Chemical warfare is about to commence. It may be too late to eradicate the little blighters this year but it will give them a taste of what they have in store for next spring.

I don't actually know why I have goosegogs in the garden... very unfashionable fruit these days but this year I have a few jars of h/m chutney maturing nicely and next year I thought I might experiment with g/gog gin & g/gog & something gin.

My goosegog bushery is being decimated by the bally goosegog sawfly. Chemical warfare is about to commence. It may be too late to eradicate the little blighters this year but it will give them a taste of what they have in store for next spring.

I don't actually know why I have goosegogs in the garden... very unfashionable fruit these days but this year I have a few jars of h/m chutney maturing nicely and next year I thought I might experiment with g/gog gin & g/gog & something gin.
One of the 5x2m raised beds I inherited (untended for 5+ years had Gooseberries - both green and red varieties ).

Did everything I could to help them achieve their best in the circumstances.

For some reason , the green were plump and wishy washy - the red were half the size but utterly divine.

A few weeks before I didn't even know red ones existed !

sand_rat

Old-Salt
my peppers were not growing too well , so over the last couple of days I knocked up this self watering system , been on it for a couple of hours and starting to look healthier already
View attachment 489729
showed my son it , there seemed to be a bit of unexpected interest in it , he thinks I am a bit naive , but I know what he wants to grow
Last year I grew enough chillies to fill a bread bag and 4 sandwich bags from 13 plants, they like deep roots in big pots and you will grow triffids, the bigger the pot the bigger the plant but do need deep, put 3 in a tomato sack and you dont get good results.

Last year I grew enough chillies to fill a bread bag and 4 sandwich bags from 13 plants, they like deep roots in big pots and you will grow triffids, the bigger the pot the bigger the plant but do need deep, put 3 in a tomato sack and you dont get good results.
Aphids knackered mine. I suspect I was too slow moving them to bigger pots and didn't give them the best start. I have heard that a weak soapy solution on the leaves can help keep aphids off. Not the best location to be honest and nowhere for a South facing greenhouse.

giatttt

Old-Salt
I have learnt that my next project is a pergola complete with a wisteria. It is a sunny location and sheltered, so far, so good. Has anyone any experience of growing wisteria?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Goosegogs are fab. I will be putting a bush or 3 into my fruit bed. Some for jam, some for crumple, some for scoffing raw.

Edited to add 'crumble'. Bloody spellchecker!!!!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I have learnt that my next project is a pergola complete with a wisteria. It is a sunny location and sheltered, so far, so good. Has anyone any experience of growing wisteria?
Tried in three different gardens. Utter failure every time. Love wisteria, but doomed never to grow it successfully, so can't help.

Latest Threads