Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardening Forum?

Slugs are not a problem, you can buy slug and snail (other pest types can be targeted this way) munching nematode worms in a sachet, you just mix the shit with water in a watering can and then dribble it all around the garden. The nematodes then crawl up a slugs arse, scream Allah u Ahkbar and pull the pin on their semtex vests.

If only NEMASLUG were sufficiently astute as to use you as their advertising campaign manager. Everyone a winner. Good stuff.

I got 3 tomato plants free but they aren't doing much so far - any tips welcome :)
otherwise I have mint, chives and parsley. The rocket isn't doing too well this year. I got some seeds for aubergine, beetroot, coriander, onion, radish, pumpkin and melon (all free :) )so must plant them at the weekend!
Dont think anyones tomatoes are doing very well this year, I believe they like it hot.

You're right, shop bought are tasteless. Tried growing them the last two years but despite straw/ash/gravel etc, (no slug pellets because of the dogs) all around the pots those bastard slugs still got at them.

Was thinking of trying hanging baskets this year but it's probably too late now.
Throw salt round the plants or pots as long as it doesn't rain that will stop them

So I've gone from a 65mt x 30mt garden that had greenhouse, raised veggie beds, pond and massive flower beds in it to a postage stamp. I've bought some old beer barrels and halved them for some veg but how do i make the postage stamp look bigger? No idea what Im doing with this garden so any help appreciated.

Top_Man

War Hero
we only have a garden the size of a livingroom , so we only grow a few of each (toms,pots,garlic, onions and carrots ) ...flowers in old washing peg baskets , and various herbs ....only doing it. to show the little one that veg doesn't just come out of a supermarket......wish we had a bigger garden

YOu would be really surprised what you can grow in a very small space. tubs, hanging baskets, pots, don't all have to have flowers. Combinations can work surprisingly well

A few raspberry canes will give a big bang for the buck...... I discovered last year, that it pays to plant on the shady side as well.

Thieving birds had crapped on the other side of the garden, sowing seeds, and I ended up with a later, second crop.

Transplant lettuce from "Living salads" into troughs for lovely lettuce, in a few weeks instead of months.

Rainbow chard is another treat.... supermarkets wouldn't stock it because it's so delicate, but use it in the flower- bed .

Pot purple- sprouting broccoli, then plant after the last crop, it is the first greens out in the spring, and is as good as asparagus, steamed, then coated in butter.

The_Duke

LE
Apple and pear trees look like producing a good crop, plums not so much, birds will strip the cherry as they do every year.

Tomatoes, beans, potatoes, beetroot, pumpkins, courgette, peas, rocket and lettuce coming along well. Radish, parsley, thyme, mint, chives, rosemary and sage all cropping nicely.

Father in Laws - every garden should come with one!

L

lumpy2

Horses / Mares tail.

Come on Arrse gardeners. Help me out.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Agreed, this stuff is a fecking nuisance. The only effective way I've found of keeping weeds in check is to simply fill your flowerbeds as much as possible with the plants of your choice and crowd them out. Obviously this is not an instant cure but over time your flowers and shrubs will gradually win the battle.

Good luck. :)

I've had good results with Euphorbia Griffithii, a variety of spurge with bright orange flowers (?bracts) it's taken over almost an entire bed in the space of a couple of years.

CountryGal

LE
Book Reviewer
You're right, shop bought are tasteless. Tried growing them the last two years but despite straw/ash/gravel etc, (no slug pellets because of the dogs) all around the pots those bastard slugs still got at them.

Was thinking of trying hanging baskets this year but it's probably too late now.

Vasaline around the top of the pots / edges of the containers and half way up if using pots - kills slugs after a few days - keep renewing it once a week in the warm Weather too

I hate weeding. Detest it. So here's an easy no-dig method. I've found it an excellent method for borders.

If possible, strim or cut the weeds as low down as possible. Leave the rubbish where it falls. If there are nettles, so much the better.

Cover with one or two layers of cardboard, folded-down (flat) cardboard boxes are ideal for this.
Cover with a good helping of compost, or even better, fresh/hot manure, and then top off with a couple of inches of chipped bark.

The cardboard suppresses and smothers the weeds, and as it rots down provides an ideal environment for worms. Using fresh ('hot') manure ensures it is well composted by Autumn/Spring (although there is nothing to stop you using well-rotted manure or just compost). The chipped bark suppresses any weed-seeds in the manure/compost (especially home grown). No manure or ready compost? Grass clippings can be used, but the bark is essential.

Bark is inhospitable for roots; weeds can grow through it, but their root system is more exposed and easier to pull out. Any that grow through - pull out and smother the area with more bark. The lack of nutrients, sunlight and water eventually smother the weed's ability to grow.

This can be used even when the overgrown area contains bulbs, such as daffodils. By next spring, the cardboard has rotted enough for the bulbs to grow through. And because they are bedded in, the root system is still firmly attached in the ground.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Copper wire I can do but it'll take a while to build up a big enough eggshell stash, wouldn't waste beer on the slimey sods though.

There's no need to waste it, you can still drink it once the slugs have finished dying in it!

Watneys have been selling it for generations.......

Tomatoes are slow to get going this year - it's just been too cold for them. Night temperatures are the key - if it keeps getting down into single figures it checks the growth and they take ages to get going again. Apple tress have had a great show of blossom and after last year's disastrous harvest it looks like we might be in for something a bit better this year. Last couple of years I've been growing lots of baby salad leaves in containers. I particularly like the spicy ones like red mustard. Something very satisfying abut going and cutting a few handfuls of these and chucking on the top of your salad or pasta absolutely fresh. Keeping slugs out of containers, you can get adhesive copper tape, just wrap it right round the container - works a treat.

sundance

War Hero
Right then Arrse experts. I've got a narrow but fairly long garden and want to plant a tree at the bottom in an area which is shaded by 2 mature maples, one either side in the neighbours gardens, and a 6 ft hedge. The area is in more or less constant shade, but gets a couple of hours sunlight in the morning.

The original idea was to provide screening as the garden is overlooked by houses to the rear. For that purpose, and to keep myself amused I've managed to grow an oak sapling from an acorn I collected last winter in a local park.

My original intention was to transplant said oak sapling to the necessary spot but now you lot have got me wondering if there are any fruit trees that would perform the screening function and provide an edible crop in shady conditions and UK weather. I've no real idea about soil type etc but at a guess it's a silty loam.

I've only recently started dabbling in this gardening malarkey but the chilli plants on my kitchen windowsill seem to be doing ok so far, I've also just bought a plastic greenhouse tent thing to stick them in, is there anything else I can stick in there and get a return from or have I missed the boat this year?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I started to paint my fence by hand today.....soon realised spending £19.98 on a spray device was probably a good investment !
Brushes are cheaper...

Just reading tiny_lewis post and got me to think this is a good place to ask a question.

I have a little area of land that i strangely thought, leave to nature, and I will have a lot of natural flowers in a year or 2. Its only 50 odd square metres and is mainly nettles now. Would love it to be wild flowers and a attraction to the bees. Any ideas on how to create a wildflower garden that is a, natural and b, easy to maintain.

Madjock72

War Hero
Watched various shows and read magazines and its never easy to achieve the natural flower garden plot, not sure if these people are just perfectionists and want to create the perfect wildflower area though.

I would start by cutting everything away and getting a rotavator to turn over the soil and use the packets of wildflower you can buy. Keep the nettles though and put them into a barrel of water and leave them to break down. Its a great fertilizer and keeps pest off your plants by all accounts.
Why not use the space to plant some apple/plum or raspberry or current bushes, easy to maintain and its just a case of mowing then and you get some fruits in the process.

Madjock72

War Hero
Sundance if you have the green plastic greenhouses place concrete blocks around the bottom because as soon as its starts to get windy the bugger will blow away or break the hell up, i know ive went through 4 of the buggers.

Apple trees or pear tree`s i`ve done well with but they take a few years to get established so dont hold your breath for a couple of years. My little apple tree was about 5ft tall and gave me about 70 apples last year which was nuts as it was crap weather.
Chilli plants are great try getting a hold of some ghost chilli seeds :D and pepper plants do well even up here in sunny newcastle. But i never can do toms i just dont know what the hell ive done to them.

To keep your plants going you could get a heater for inside your greenhouse sundance that should keep you going for awhile and helps you get your plants ready for need year.

Just reading tiny_lewis post and got me to think this is a good place to ask a question.

I have a little area of land that i strangely thought, leave to nature, and I will have a lot of natural flowers in a year or 2. Its only 50 odd square metres and is mainly nettles now. Would love it to be wild flowers and a attraction to the bees. Any ideas on how to create a wildflower garden that is a, natural and b, easy to maintain.

Get yourself to garden centres and buy up all the wild flowre/meadow packets of cheap seeds or ones on offer. Scatter liberally and let nature do the rest.

Latest Threads