Gardening Forum?

Londo

LE
Only ever grown raspberries in the ground so can't help. Every spring I gave them a good top dressing of compost and always had a great crop.

Possibly your location as raspberries don't like high temperatures and like moisture hence why most cane stock comes from Scotland.
Thank you , Ill keep with them and see what happens in the future , will also water more frequently just in case they are drying out a bit . Due to their location they are a bit sheltered from rainfall .

If you want a good organic spray to deter the aphids and bugs, chop up some onions and garlic and a couple of peppers, soak the lot overnight and strain off the liquid. Mix it with a bit of water and you'll have a bug spray that tear gasses the beasties. I've gotten rid of severe blackfly infestations on beans and ornamentals such as Philadelphus this way. Don't get it in your own eyes though ffs.

I hope you're right, just seen a first swarm of bastard cabbage whites around my brassicas.........

I hope you're right, just seen a first swarm of bastard cabbage whites around my brassicas.........
If you really don't want to use a spray, you can get a fine plastic mesh netting from garden centres that you can cover them with. It's available in sheets or hooped tunnels. That spray will work well on them though, just make sure you get it on them and mind the ones that like to hide in leaf curls or the undersides of the leaves.

Even soapy water spray will help, it certainly got rid of Aphids on my broad beans but you have to spray them every day sometimes just to be sure. With broad beans you can just twist the tops off but brassicas are a big problem. I do know someone who uses anti-Butterfly cages and nets. You need 7mm diamond mesh or smaller. Amazon does it.

1563733318607.png

Londo

LE
I forget who it was, maybe @JackPrior said the little twats have a Plan B, to drop their filthy eggs on netting, so they will still reach your veg ?
I have had this problem in the past with the little swine dropping the're eggs through netting .onto my Brussels . This year Iv;e got a fine mesh over the top as per @JackPriors post above . Ill let you know how they get on .

Londo

LE
Absolute bliss , just spent the best part of an hour sitting in the garden to cool down , not that its been hot as the last few nights . Not a sound apart from a hedgehog crunching on some kitten food I put out for it , the church bells striking 11 and a dog barked 3 times in the distance . No vehicles on the local roads , no trains/planes in the distance , just the sound of a can of beer being opened .

If you really don't want to use a spray, you can get a fine plastic mesh netting from garden centres that you can cover them with. It's available in sheets or hooped tunnels. That spray will work well on them though, just make sure you get it on them and mind the ones that like to hide in leaf curls or the undersides of the leaves.

Well, after a couple of weeks, the brassicas still haven't been munched as per usual, so I doff my hat to you, Milady.

I usually tear out every day when I see the buggers fluttering about, and give them a good spray.

Funny thing is though, there might be 4 or 5 fluttering about, as soon as I start to spray, about 20 more arrive, flutter about, but then bugger off quick.....

Wandering around Youtube tonight, this bloke popped up talking about siting compost bins on raised beds. Builds all of his sheds and greenhouses on his own; manages his own wood as well. He looks about 80 :)

Thinking of this thread, there might be some useful stuff in his three videos for beginners, or if you're looking for tips and better quality plants. His lettuces certainly look pretty good, and he's got a cracking big site full of veg, by the looks of things.

Hot Composting....

Mrs A has got one of the polystyrene hot composting boxes with the starter kit and we've had it on the go for 6 months. Brown paper, kitchen peelings, grass clippings etc all going in and I'm draining out the black fluid every week as per instructions so all going well. But.......

Fruit flies! Jesus! There's millions of them. It's like something out of Exodus when I open the lid. Presumably their little maggots are doing the good stuff down there but I'd rather they didn't. According to the instructions I need to get the temperature up to the point where they die off but so far all there suggestions have come to naught.

Any ideas?

Hot Composting....

Mrs A has got one of the polystyrene hot composting boxes with the starter kit and we've had it on the go for 6 months. Brown paper, kitchen peelings, grass clippings etc all going in and I'm draining out the black fluid every week as per instructions so all going well. But.......

Fruit flies! Jesus! There's millions of them. It's like something out of Exodus when I open the lid. Presumably their little maggots are doing the good stuff down there but I'd rather they didn't. According to the instructions I need to get the temperature up to the point where they die off but so far all there suggestions have come to naught.

Any ideas?
Harvest the maggots, and sell them as fish bait, or eat them ....its all protein!

Hot Composting....

Any ideas?
I'm a big fan of using Bocashi bins, they rely on sealing the stuff inside away from fresh air, the stuff inside pickles, rather than rots, so when the air tight bin is full of Meat, teabags, out of date pasty, veg cut offs, uneaten pasta, anything in fact trhat comes under kitchen waste, the bin goes away and is replaced by one that's been pickling for a month, that gets emptied into a Dalek shaped compost bin to rot down fully. makes amazing rich compost, how about emptying a bocashi bin into you hot composter, it would reduce the amount of times you have to open the lid, and keep the fruit flies from your eyes.

I have a garden waste wheelie bin-

Should I be chucking all the dead animals the cat kills in it?

There currently a BFO rat with half a loaf of bread around it, look like a rat buttie...

I have a garden waste wheelie bin-

Should I be chucking all the dead animals the cat kills in it?

There currently a BFO rat with half a loaf of bread around it, look like a rat buttie...
was your Moggie tucking a napkin into the front of his collar when you found the rat wrapped in a Buttie?

Londo

LE
Good price for a handy tool....

Well worth having . I bought one of these five years ago when recovering from an operation and could't dig . Makes life so much easier on my veggie patches .

Hexi Bloke

Old-Salt
Can anyone identify this tree? Its just started to flower and looks really nice, the wife wants me to get another one to plant in the front garden, (once its legal to visit garden centres again of course).
Any help identifying this tree would be much appreciated chaps.
20200418_174017.jpg

Can anyone identify this tree? Its just started to flower and looks really nice, the wife wants me to get another one to plant in the front garden, (once its legal to visit garden centres again of course).
Any help identifying this tree would be much appreciated chaps.View attachment 466814
Yes mate that's Jonny, what has it done now.
Acting out the Evil Dead again?

Is it green????
A tank tree

Latest Threads