Gardening Forum?

...At the moment there seems to be a war on plastic.
Cheers bloke. Good advice there. Problem we have here is that at the moment the war is against Boko Haram. I can see the Sahara/Sahel by looking out my window.

We're a little short on pallets around here, along with everything else. Just trying to help out a couple of local colleagues who have small farms and would like to grow a bit of veg without going apeshit with the water they have.

Cheers bloke. Good advice there. Problem we have here is that at the moment the war is against Boko Haram. I can see the Sahara/Sahel by looking out my window.

We're a little short on pallets around here, along with everything else. Just trying to help out a couple of local colleagues who have small farms and would like to grow a bit of veg without going apeshit with the water they have.
Sorry, didn't know. 'African gardening and farming' has included old tyres in the past and I think in some regions they binned shredding and chipping, and stopped landfilling end of life tyres. Many harrumphing anti-plastic green types near you?

But reading up on this, in South Africa there is some use of waste tyres, as a base for landscaping in raised garden beds and cascading rock gardens. Also, maybe this video might be useful, or not:

Last edited:
Cheers mate. Thanks for the gen. Will pass it on to them. Hopefully they have a connection fast enough to view the clip. Pretty dire out here in the sticks.

Cheers, will give it a go. I seem to recall a system where each tyre was separated with small blocks or wedges and the stems grew through the gaps. The strawberries would then grow down the side of the column. The potato thing makes sense without the gaps.

Drip watering might work. Pretty dry in these parts. At least it keeps the water in the vicinity of the rhizomes.
Get a piece of plastic pipe, drill a load of holes in it and fill with gravel or stone chippings. Place in the centre of the tyres and fill the compost and spuds around it. That should get water down where it's needed.

My neighbour is doing this with is a similar idea to using car tires.

Grow 100 lbs. Of Potatoes In 4 Square Feet: {Instructions}

Get a piece of plastic pipe, drill a load of holes in it and fill with gravel or stone chippings. Place in the centre of the tyres and fill the compost and spuds around it. That should get water down where it's needed.

My neighbour is doing this with is a similar idea to using car tires.

Grow 100 lbs. Of Potatoes In 4 Square Feet: {Instructions}
Like the pallet bins on that page. Long-term compost heaps made out of four upright pallets tied together, and a string 'door latch', keeps cats out and air and rain can get in. Also easy access for all the little beasties to get in and do their job. Long-term composting being the separated vegetation that takes a very long while to break down, it frees up your regular compost bins. We'll fork compost into topsoil, rather than planting direct into homemade humus. One exception is hungry runner beans that gorge on a good bed of feed in the trenches.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru

Painting them white might reduce / reflect the heat a little from the sun? If you have compost in bags, use the bags inside the tyre stacks - that might keep more water in.

Might be worth lining them with old tarpaulins and such. Not much bagged compost in these parts. Not much compost to be honest. Plenty of goat and camel shit so digging in some of that might work.

Might be worth lining them with old tarpaulins and such. Not much bagged compost in these parts. Not much compost to be honest. Plenty of goat and camel shit so digging in some of that might work.
Why not, it's probably all wasted outside of pastoral communities. Enclosed, tumbling compost bins filled with animal dung, vegetation, organic food waste, cardboard and paper, could be rotted and turned for a year. Wood shavings and mulch added. The Emperor Mong PBUH might suggest untreated human biosolids, and vast tracts of Africa could end up with cholera and dysentery.

Organic gardeners make their own compost and cut down on the carbon content which slows the process ;) It needs oxygen, watering and kept cool, and turned regularly, otherwise it will stink.

I know a gardener who actually syphons grey water from his waterless composting toilet but we wouldn't fecking go to dinner! Human biosolids might be safe if properly rotted down and scientifically, safely, treated. AIUI they use biosolids in Australia and Japan.

More safely, whatever potable water is available could be used for aged organic compost tea aka animal crap water. Some sort of wastewater (sewage) treatment plant could make wastewater biosludge for processing into biosolids. Septic tanks may be another solution.

How Septic Tanks Benefit Rural South Africa | Roto Tank

As an aside, potatoes can be grown in open 8 litre black bin bags filled with compost, maybe dropped into bins. Just keep the tubers out of sunlight and water them.

I know, I was just bored.

Why not, it's probably all wasted outside of pastoral communities. Enclosed, tumbling compost bins filled with animal dung, vegetation, organic food waste, cardboard and paper, could be rotted and turned for a year. Wood shavings and mulch added. The Emperor Mong PBUH might suggest untreated human biosolids, and vast tracts of Africa could end up with cholera and dysentery.

Organic gardeners make their own compost and cut down on the carbon content which slows the process ;) It needs oxygen, watering and kept cool, and turned regularly, otherwise it will stink.

I know a gardener who actually syphons grey water from his waterless composting toilet but we wouldn't fecking go to dinner! Human biosolids might be safe if properly rotted down and scientifically, safely, treated. AIUI they use biosolids in Australia and Japan.

More safely, whatever potable water is available could be used for aged organic compost tea aka animal crap water. Some sort of wastewater (sewage) treatment plant could make wastewater biosludge for processing into biosolids. Septic tanks may be another solution.

How Septic Tanks Benefit Rural South Africa | Roto Tank

As an aside, potatoes can be grown in open 8 litre black bin bags filled with compost, maybe dropped into bins. Just keep the tubers out of sunlight and water them.

I know, I was just bored.

Doesn't urine make a good "starter" in a compost heap ?

Not sure if it's a one- off or a regular trip up the garden though.

Doesn't urine make a good "starter" in a compost heap ?

Not sure if it's a one- off or a regular trip up the garden though.
Urine and wood ash apparently. The chap I mentioned syphons off urine from his waterless toilet and dilutes it. He's after the pee's NPK content after the body's stripped it down. Micturition farming sounds like a good reason for a crafty leak in the privacy of your own garden.

I like the idea of the tube down the centre to water the spuds. Might suggest that with crimped off hose and a funnel/reservoir made from 2 litre plastic soda bottles.

Urine and wood ash apparently. The chap I mentioned syphons off urine from his waterless toilet and dilutes it. He's after the pee's NPK content after the body's stripped it down. Micturition farming sounds like a good reason for a crafty leak in the privacy of your own garden.
I wazz on the lawn out back by the pool with the degs every morning. Doesn't do the lawn much good.

I made a tube of about 20 plastic bottles with small holes in the lower side ( about 12 meters long) with a funnel at one end for my garden in Cyprus.

Put it between the plants and just poured in the waste water from the sink.

No problem for water Mellon’s and sweet corn.

I wazz on the lawn out back by the pool with the degs every morning. Doesn't do the lawn much good.
Nope it won't, the lawn isn't a rotting compost heap :) Pee for horticulture is usually diluted and aged, otherwise too much nitrogen will kill stuff.

Doesn't help that the degs then come along and wazz where I've just pumped the bilges.

A compost heap could be your new Field Of Dreams
1559501424716.png

spuddy.JPG

I thought I'd do a bit of bashing and boshing with a few bits of crappy wood knocking around and do a spud box. 2 and half foot by 2 and half foot by a yard.
9 chitted maris piper spuds in there.

Once it's got going a bit I'll put in a watering pipe. If all goes well I should have spuds from mid October until Xmas.

Just picked the first peas of the season and having them tonight . Just enough were ready for a portion each for the both of us with plenty more to come . Runner beans are doing nicely and several have reached the top of the frames . Quite a few flowers on them keeping the bees happy too .