Gardening Forum?

I had my first strawberry yesterday courtesy of last year's runners which I'd taken off and grown in a greenhouse, bloody lovely.
Got a few strawbs at the moment , all still green though and loads more to come going by all the flowers . Have about 30 good healthy strawberry plants in the fruit cage .

Got a few strawbs at the moment , all still green though and loads more to come going by all the flowers . Have about 30 good healthy strawberry plants in the fruit cage .
It won't be more than a fortnight and you'll be cropping. One thing though, if it gets wet and damp the botrytis mold does tend to get onto strawberries.

It won't be more than a fortnight and you'll be cropping. One thing though, if it gets wet and damp the botrytis mold does tend to get onto strawberries.
Not so far had that problem , slug attacks used to be the undoing of mine but the strawbs are all off the ground in window boxes on racks I made up . Im hoping that will keep most the sods at bay .

Not so far had that problem , slug attacks used to be the undoing of mine but the strawbs are all off the ground in window boxes on racks I made up . Im hoping that will keep most the sods at bay .
Slugs don't like moving over bonfire ashes, a perimeter a foot or so wide of that around your veg will protect them.

Slugs don't like moving over bonfire ashes, a perimeter a foot or so wide of that around your veg will protect them.
Thanks for reminding me of that , I now have a wood burner to supply the ash so hope that will do the trick . Only used it a couple of times last winter as I was keeping my small supply of wood for emergencies . I now have a good stock for next winter and will just have to think of somewhere to store the ash till needed . Just had a light:compress:bulb moment on that so all sorted

Cracking time of year for us, but busy. Plants, flowers, pots, fruit and veg are all under control and fending for themselves, with water. It's been unusually hot this week. Greenhouses ticking over and seeds are popping. Trying cucumber plants and Squash in tubs this year, with the usual red and green peppers. Lidls had loads of seeds, some of their packets contain seeds in paper sowing strips, weirdly. All of their packets of seeds we bought, have popped.

We're running short on organic compost material for the greedy beans and stuff, and the strawberries need feeding. Resorted to Tomato feeder and 7-7-7- Growmore. But a few housebound local folk appreciate their grass mown, and one or two jungles have been chopped down. Bingo, three tall compost bins filled. Raided local shop bins for cardboard and newspaper, useful for laying over weeds for landscaping and laying bark chips down. No work. And local Cafes are saving us their coffee grounds, organic waste, and egg shells.

It's recycling innit. Cheers from the garden pikey ;)

I had to spend a fair bit of today getting a neurotic middle class woman with way too much free time on her hands to accept that planting two Liquidambar trees six feet apart on the top of her little rockery, in May with the summer heat coming right up, might not be a good idea. I mean, I'm just the f ucking gardener, what would I know about planting trees?

I had to spend a fair bit of today getting a neurotic middle class woman with way too much free time on her hands to accept that planting two Liquidambar trees six feet apart on the top of her little rockery, in May with the summer heat coming right up, might not be a good idea. I mean, I'm just the f ucking gardener, what would I know about planting trees?

"Grows to 30- 40 ms high........."

Sounds like a good idea.

Cracking time of year for us, but busy. Plants, flowers, pots, fruit and veg are all under control and fending for themselves, with water. It's been unusually hot this week. Greenhouses ticking over and seeds are popping. Trying cucumber plants and Squash in tubs this year, with the usual red and green peppers. Lidls had loads of seeds, some of their packets contain seeds in paper sowing strips, weirdly. All of their packets of seeds we bought, have popped.

We're running short on organic compost material for the greedy beans and stuff, and the strawberries need feeding. Resorted to Tomato feeder and 7-7-7- Growmore. But a few housebound local folk appreciate their grass mown, and one or two jungles have been chopped down. Bingo, three tall compost bins filled. Raided local shop bins for cardboard and newspaper, useful for laying over weeds for landscaping and laying bark chips down. No work. And local Cafes are saving us their coffee grounds, organic waste, and egg shells.

It's recycling innit. Cheers from the garden pikey ;)
All good to hear . Have planted out some of my tomatoes that were getting a bit leggy in the greenhouse , lots of my peas are starting to pod and some of the runner beans are halfway up the bean strings . my main problem is fencing things off to keep the chickens away , love the eggs but hate the destruction they can cause .

I hope you won that argument

All good to hear . Have planted out some of my tomatoes that were getting a bit leggy in the greenhouse , lots of my peas are starting to pod and some of the runner beans are halfway up the bean strings . my main problem is fencing things off to keep the chickens away , love the eggs but hate the destruction they can cause .
One elderly lady we 'do' for, likes flowers but finds veg boring, doesn't get her hands dirty. We had two cucumber vine seedlings (slicers) so I asked her to keep one in her kitchen, thinking it should interest her and she might become at least a bit veggie. I put the other in her 'Night-shades' greenhouse we run for her, in a tub with a little black cherry tomato plant. Also snuck in two deep tubs of broad beans, now with white flowers, at the side of the house. Oh and a couple of Squash plants.

During a watering routine we do for her most nights - we planted loads of flowering pots and tubs around her bungalow - she came out with this cucumber vine she'd had in her kitchen window for a week and wanted rid of it. A foot fecking tall hers was, and it's since shot up. She never fed it. Mine in the greenhouse is about eight inches :scratch: Embarrassing. Hers had to be tall-staked and tied and looks like it'll flower. Interesting though, they send out long curly shoots to wrap round canes/trellises and hers is galloping on. They're worth a go.

Looking at my shortarse I'm not sure now which one of us is the gardener.

The beetroot seedlings in her Greenhouse are coming on so we'll have to sneak them in somewhere as well :)

One elderly lady we 'do' for, likes flowers but finds veg boring, doesn't get her hands dirty. We had two cucumber vine seedlings (slicers) so I asked her to keep one in her kitchen, thinking it should interest her and she might become at least a bit veggie. I put the other in her 'Night-shades' greenhouse we run for her, in a tub with a little black cherry tomato plant. Also snuck in two deep tubs of broad beans, now with white flowers, at the side of the house. Oh and a couple of Squash plants.

During a watering routine we do for her most nights - we planted loads of flowering pots and tubs around her bungalow - she came out with this cucumber vine she'd had in her kitchen window for a week and wanted rid of it. A foot fecking tall hers was, and it's since shot up. She never fed it. Mine in the greenhouse is about eight inches :scratch: Embarrassing. Hers had to be tall-staked and tied and looks like it'll flower. Interesting though, they send out long curly shoots to wrap round canes/trellises and hers is galloping on. They're worth a go.

Looking at my shortarse I'm not sure now which one of us is the gardener.

The beetroot seedlings in her Greenhouse are coming on so we'll have to sneak them in somewhere as well :)
Shame you cant get her into veg. growing but at least you tried . top marks for that .

South side of my garden is my tropical bit. Have a Palm, banana plants ( that even produce very small bananas) , Bird of paradise, huge tree fern, bamboos and yuccas.
IMG_0674.jpeg

I also have a couple of plum trees and peach tree as well as a maple and an acer in the garden.

Every year in autumn I mulch all the fallen leaves and chuck them into the back of the tropical bit. I also throw in any dead plants, flowers etc.Doing a bit of potting today , noticed that an Amarylis I had for about 5 years and died 2 years ago and was thrown there about 2 years ago seems to have come back to life as well as a stubborn dead but no revived geranium.

IMG_0673.jpeg

Anyone know about growing potatoes and strawberries in old car tyres piled up in a column around six or eight high? Local colleagues out here are interested in the idea but no idea how to go about it. Prob here is the afternoon sun burns everything and they can't be arsed covering the plants so figured it may be worth doing an east facing wall of tyre stacks so everything is in the shade in the afternoons.

Anyone know about growing potatoes and strawberries in old car tyres piled up in a column around six or eight high? Local colleagues out here are interested in the idea but no idea how to go about it. Prob here is the afternoon sun burns everything and they can't be arsed covering the plants so figured it may be worth doing an east facing wall of tyre stacks so everything is in the shade in the afternoons.
Start with a few tyres , for spuds this is. Fill them with good compost. Stick in some spuds.

As the shoots appear add a tyre and continue.

But you do need to water them as most of the water passes straight through.

Cheers, will give it a go. I seem to recall a system where each tyre was separated with small blocks or wedges and the stems grew through the gaps. The strawberries would then grow down the side of the column. The potato thing makes sense without the gaps.

Drip watering might work. Pretty dry in these parts. At least it keeps the water in the vicinity of the rhizomes.

Erm - bit a long reply to that, sorry.

A couple of stacked tyres filled with a good compost might work but it depends on your point of view. I'd be worried about toxins, and the 'green' brigade; environmentalists - note the operative word - might claim that tyres have a history of polluting ground and water; leaching. But it's better than burning them and presumably better than chips and shreds. Still, I'd go for up-cycling old, untreated cheap pallets (£3) for raised beds, planting between the slats. Old tools can be turned into gates the same as making a trellis out of old rakes, spades and forks. I've seen old clocks used for bird houses.

Raising tyres off the ground might avoid leaching, and growing flowering bulbs and shrubs in tyre gardening, means nobody has to eat them. You might see different coloured painted tyres being upcycled, on hard standing rather than on soft ground. I don't see tyres as a long term solution if they decompose. And I doubt that tyre gardening has many friends.

The idea of growing tall tomatoes, and other tall veg plants in raised bed tyres looks like an ideal solution on several levels, and plants that need warmth might do well in tyres set up to decompose slowly. If they were lined 'planters' and used only for one growing season, there might be a good argument for an up-cycling business. Might...

You can buy space-saving stacking containers for growing spuds and they're not widely used, so there's a newish angle. But, again, whether tyres make good planters or not, and whether they're 'safe' and non-toxic, depends on points of view and how the tyres are used. At the moment there seems to be a war on plastic.

Tyres 'major source' of ocean pollution

Attachments

Never grown anything ever so long story to short story meet a lass year later moved in with her and planted my first veg and flowers it's all trail and error for me but here is sprouts, onions & broccoli my peas are starting to grow too PS pigeon problem sorted...
IMG_20190531_174705-01.jpg

IMG_20190531_175514-02.jpg

IMG_20190531_175616.jpg

IMG_20190522_175249.jpg