Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardening Forum?

HHH

GCM
Anyone any tips on growing grass ?

And what is the best way to hide it?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Doh! Thanks Sluggy, silly me never thought to look in "social events" :wtf:

Mind you, I think that thread has died a death. Maybe time for a new one.

So did my garden.

Dandelions and nettles are a sort of flower aren't they?

You just know it would turn into the S**d forum in hours!!

Close......but no cigar......

Dicey

LE
Grow your own strawberries, you'll never buy shop bought, forced crap again!

You're right, shop bought are tasteless. Tried growing them the last two years but despite straw/ash/gravel etc, (no slug pellets because of the dogs) all around the pots those bastard slugs still got at them.

Was thinking of trying hanging baskets this year but it's probably too late now.

padme

War Hero
You're right, shop bought are tasteless. Tried growing them the last two years but despite straw/ash/gravel etc, (no slug pellets because of the dogs) all around the pots those bastard slugs still got at them.

Was thinking of trying hanging baskets this year but it's probably too late now.

eggshells or copperwire around the pots , swear by it , also a few beertraps do the deed

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
You just know it would turn into the S**d forum in hours!!

Sorry. Stowed out at the moment so little time to log on.

Yes, as my esteemed colleague has rightly observed. If you have a forum about gardening it should include discussion of sheds.

SHEDS

Anybody got a problem with that?

Dicey

LE
eggshells or copperwire around the pots , swear by it , also a few beertraps do the deed

Thanks, didn't know that.

Copper wire I can do but it'll take a while to build up a big enough eggshell stash, wouldn't waste beer on the slimey sods though.

Poppy

LE

Copper wire I can do but it'll take a while to build up a big enough eggshell stash, wouldn't waste beer on the slimey sods though.

I have been advised coffee grounds or sand as well..................personally i use those bright blue slug pellets

ACAB

LE

You have to net strawberries to keep the birds from the fruit. That is when I apply slug pellets and my Mutt can't then get at them.

Feenix

Old-Salt
Are Lawnmowers included? I just bought a fantastic Briggs and Stratton powered McCulloch......

You mean your not using a machete?......Wimp

Slugs are not a problem, you can buy slug and snail (other pest types can be targeted this way) munching nematode worms in a sachet, you just mix the shit with water in a watering can and then dribble it all around the garden. The nematodes then crawl up a slugs arse, scream Allah u Ahkbar and pull the pin on their semtex vests.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
coffee grounds work, egg shells would probably get eaten. no idea how the bottles of water thing work unless they think its a predator and hide.

for us small plot types and if you have the time look up square foot gardening - you divvy up the garden/growing area into small 2 foot by two foot section then into 1 foot areas and just do one of two sections a day growing a rotation of veg and salad in a permaculture king of way.

out two gardens are crap as they stripped off the top soil leaving a clay base behind which either dried out or drowns the grass. I am slowly adding herb plots and fruit trees/bushes in amongst the flowers and stuff. got a single rhubard tucked away under the meter box which produces a couple of crumbles a year, the strawberries are going mental out the front.

out back I chucked a couple of spuds in old plastic tubs which are doing odd things but its a start. I had a crop of passion fruit when it was the only bloody thing which grew last year as the wind blew all the apples and cherries off the trees before they could ripen and the tomatoes failed. in the past I've mixed beans and peas up the fence along with the climbing flower things.

I cant say I'm a gardener but its a distraction. this year we put a vinyl growing thing up to keep the weather off if we have a repeat of the past two years.

That stuff is a nightmare roundup doesn't touch it. I am told there is a liquid called kibosh/kit tail that works but is very expensive
The roots can go down 8 foot and its supposed to be a throwback from prehistoric times
We had some on the land I bought 20 years ago and it took 12 years of continual digging to get rid though I have a feeling its still lurking

Should read kurtail

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Madjock72

War Hero
Mares tail is a nightmare its a case of digging and weed killer.
Copper wire and the pikeys will nick it, course sand is meant to do the trick for strawberries to keep away the slugs.
Pumpkins are great for planting and gets the kids involved as well plus it gets the wee buggers to do some weeding to boot. But they do take up space though I have seen people use a trellis arrangement to grow them and take up less space.

Gardening forum - gets my vote. I'm no gardener, but like to have a dabble. And there is a sense of achievement after turning something weed and nettle infested into something with flowers and the like.

Big problem is time, but its a fun way to get a tan when the sun is out.

My back garden isn't quite big enough to justify a ride-on mower, but it is larger than the last. It's also seperated from the house by 30m (parking, driveway and garage), so I need two extension leads to power the lawnmower. I bought an old manual push-mower, and bugger me if it isn't quicker! Using the electric rotary cutter takes half the afternoon to cut the grass, constantly stopping to move the lead, empty the bin, untangle the blade. By hand, it takes 45minutes! And is more satisfying, even the sound of the whirling cyclinder is pleasant.

I must be getting old. And sad. ;-)

That stuff is a nightmare roundup doesn't touch it. I am told there is a liquid called kibosh/kit tail that works but is very expensive
The roots can go down 8 foot and its supposed to be a throwback from prehistoric times
We had some on the land I bought 20 years ago and it took 12 years of continual digging to get rid though I have a feeling its still lurking

Should read kurtail

Reading into kurtail it seems like its for use by professionals but ill still try and get hold of some. I wouldn't mind so much but I rotavated in time for planting in feb/march and never got round to it so now all I have done is create perfect conditions for the stuff.

Latest Threads