Garden shed Bar/Pub-Man Cave.

I found never getting married and living in my own house has negated the need for a shed so far in life..But I'm edging in that direction :mrgreen:

ETA Last year I laid a concrete slab and ordered a shed from argos which never turned up. complete man-bitch failure

Last edited:
With regard to my concrete base, I tried to pour the concrete myself as the site was far to far from the nearest access point for a mixer truck. In the end I employed a man with a spade, who removed the old mix, dug out the base turf and dirt, then mixed and laid the new base. It took him 2 days all together, he employed a mate to help him. It cost £400 all together plus a couple of bacon sarnies and unlimited tea/coffee.
In the end it was well worth it, but IMHO I think that your budget (£1.5k) is far to low for something which should give you years of pleasure. You don’t need to spend ‘shed-loads’ (i’ll Get my coat) but something around £3-4k for the shed should give you the quality and service you will need.
Finally don’t assume you will keep your OH out of it easily, what started out as my man cave, now has her art materials ensconced
Get it right and it will provide years of service.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've got a 12x10 shed in the garden but it's chokka with stuff after the Homebase firesale two years ago when they shut down. I basically went in every day at 0900hrs and said "Has the final sale started yet?" until the day it did. First in the door, everything was 80% off and as I'd been tracking the prices for literally weeks before hand, and had a list of what I wanted, I made a ******* killing.... and a few losses. Turns out buying a load of new doors for the house doesn't work if you don't measure what size of doors you need first......... Who'd have thought it?!

The downside is I can't actually get through the front door of my shed.

I was thinking of doing a workshop space, especially if we make this move to a house we're looking at with a substantially bigger garden.

I figure that I can't go wrong with posts, old pallets and a lot of nails and screws. There can't be that much to this building a safe and stable structure business!?

I'll just make sure I wear a hard hat at all times whilst in it.....

Cor, you lot are building mansions.
I know peeps that have a very basic shed - the type you'd store garden tools in, B&Q 8 x 6 thing. Power comes in the form of a commando plug wired up from an external socket to the house. Walls have a layer of cheap ply added to keep draughts out. There is a chair, kettle, cheap telly, wifi booster, foldaway table and camping gas stove. Theres also a doss bag and folding camp bed in there. Gets a bit crowded when theres a fw of us in there talking shit and having hot brews, and the downside is having to nip out for the loo. BUT, be it ever so humble, its manspace. No women allowed unless its for sex apparently, so the threat keeps his missus away :lol:
Mind you, I've known chaps who turned one of them 2 berth caravans into a man-van-cave. quite cheap to pick up apparently.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've got a 12x10 shed in the garden but it's chokka with stuff after the Homebase firesale two years ago when they shut down. I basically went in every day at 0900hrs and said "Has the final sale started yet?" until the day it did. First in the door, everything was 80% off and as I'd been tracking the prices for literally weeks before hand, and had a list of what I wanted, I made a ******* killing.... and a few losses. Turns out buying a load of new doors for the house doesn't work if you don't measure what size of doors you need first......... Who'd have thought it?!

The downside is I can't actually get through the front door of my shed.

I was thinking of doing a workshop space, especially if we make this move to a house we're looking at with a substantially bigger garden.

I figure that I can't go wrong with posts, old pallets and a lot of nails and screws. There can't be that much to this building a safe and stable structure business!?

I'll just make sure I wear a hard hat at all times whilst in it.....
I worry about you...

This is coming along nicely now, been in heavy use during 6 Nations. Looking at slight extension to give more protection for drinkers in inclement weather next ;-)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Some pics and to answer your question, no particular era or genre. First loco is steam, I will probably add a BR Blue Deltic and/or original blue and yellow HST. Might look at Tornado and maybe a DMU pootling round in the background.

View attachment 365829
Board outside the man cave

View attachment 365830
Panorama of the interior showing space made (note access to bar unimpeded)

View attachment 365831
Baseboard in place

View attachment 365834

First loco
Pics of my Shed from the model train thread

Get an electrician to install a consumer unit inside the thing, you can save money by digging the trench for the armoured cable and drilling through the wall
under the buildings regs, its notifiable, no point in doing all that and then killing yourself !
also consider heating for cold weather to prevent condensation
a tubular heater with a shield over it and a frost stat will stop things icing up and corroding away usual rating 60watts per foot
essential if you run a water supply in to prevent burst pipes
One of the last jobs that I did as a sparkie was to wire up a bloke's newly built man cave. I say 'cave' but the bloody thing was almost as big as the bungalow that I currently live in.
He had to have a new three phase board installed.
I took loads of pictures of that job because I dreamt of having something similar but on a smaller scale. Unfortunately, I lost that phone before I had the chance to download the pictures to my laptop.
My current man cave is the garage. It has its own power and lighting circuit and is perfect for my needs as a wood work shop, and now also; as somewhere to try my hand at model kits. A small portable heater gets it nice and toasty in about 30 mins.
It's also a split free zone.
I think that you have to be over a certain age to fully appreciate a man cave.

My man cave is more of a summer house, with a hot tub and sofa in it. I incorporated an existing outhouse into it, put up a roof and pergola over the bar. I made most of the walls to be light weight and easily removable in nice weather. The roof is transparent so it's about 10℃ warmer inside when the sun is out.

It's about 40m from the house so I've extended the Wi-Fi down to it.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My man cave is more of a summer house, with a hot tub and sofa in it. I incorporated an existing outhouse into it, put up a roof and pergola over the bar. I made most of the walls to be light weight and easily removable in nice weather. The roof is transparent so it's about 10℃ warmer inside when the sun is out.

It's about 40m from the house so I've extended the Wi-Fi down to it.
mm sounds perfect
DO you have a leggy large breasted barmaid to serve your drinks perchance ?

Yeah she does alright

I've got about a 100 photos of the build but the images are too large.
If you have access to them on a Windows pc, right click and choose edit, image, resize, anything under 800 pixels across should be fine on here.

So it started like this:

Then I've been gradually working on it. I'm a little further along now than the last pics. I've stained the pergola, knocked up some shutters for the open window, to keep out the winter wind and rebuilt the fence panel at the outhouse/pergola end.

Next is a 60A power supply and a proper hot tub going in, as I'm currently running off an outdoor extension lead.

Yeah I'm sat in the hot tub on the phone.

I used tinypic instead.
It worked. I'm currently sat in the pub but the rather ripe farts are warming my seat up a treat.