Garden shed Bar/Pub-Man Cave.

Looking to set up a bar type shed in the garden which can double as a man cave away from the house. Has anyone done this, seen some on the net which look
pretty good. Also looking to give it a pub name. Verge Inn etc. The passage of time leaves me clueless as to the many squadron/detachment/platoon bars that had great names
Where to source pub type stuff beer pumps optice etc, I suppose Ebay will have a lot of stuff.

Got about £1500 to do this.

I have a summerhouse as well as an observatory, both funded out of my pension lump sum.
I started out with one of those cheap B@Q larch overlapping panel type, rapidly realised you get what you pay for. Biggest downside to a shed in the U.K. is the weather, which destroys untreated wood in about 1 season. So don’t forget to paint the outside with a quality weather-proof paint. I would also recommend you think about providing a concrete base, for which you can put carpet/mat down to keep your tootsies warm. From there I would recommend you spend as much as you can.
I found a 20’*16’ log cabin, reduced (as it had been the show cabin) for £1k, I had to take it down myself and transport it off site. I am sure eBay will have some secondhand cabins if your interested.
The Observatory cost a different game, as it has a sliding roof, totally unessassary for a pub theme.

Save a little more money and then buy the best gear you can afford but a big shout out for the concrete floor idea. It's going to be your escape and somewhere to repair your sanity and enjoy the peace and quiet. So spend as much as you can afford on it.

I fcuking love my man caves.

This year I promised my Ratbag a playhouse in the garden and after looking at the cost of them, for a 4x4 box that was only really going to do her for a few years, I figured it would probably be a better idea to go for a summerhouse so we get a lot more use out of it.
After again looking at the cost and also the reviews for them and seeing 44mm wood frames are apparently something special, I've decided to build it myself from scratch.

I knocked up my garage a few years back out of 2m x 2m wood frames wrapped in DPM that just bolted together with cladding to finish it off. Mates dad walking past like the sectional approach and copied it to build his garden shed. I'll be using the same for the summer/play-house, the nice thing being I can assemble the framework in the dry (and heated) garage, a 2x2m frame isn't too big for me to move around on my own and you can largely dry fit it all before its in place. The DPM wrap protects the frames if you hit a wet day during assembly and adds a little layer to stop the wind finding a way in.
I'd second the concrete slab but I'd also suggest some polystyrene insulation board in there wickes stuff is pretty cheap, though with this build I'm just going with a reinforced decking build - if anyone whined I'd have difficulty fitting it into 'permitted development' and that's a cheaper option if I had to move it a couple of metres to the left :rolleyes:

I have a man cave.
It's essentially a shed but with glazed double doors and it's been lined and insulated. I've put it up on bearers on the deck in the garden.

I've run power and internet into there , I have a small bar, optics cost about £15 off ebay. For the floor, I've covered it in artificial grass. The firm I bought it off assembled it for me as well.

I have two sheds bolted together to create a 2.5m X 6m workshop (two rooms).
The back room is my workshop and storage, front room is gardening equipment and the kids garden toys etc.
I opted for laying slabs for the base, but if I was to do it again I would go for a solid concrete base.
I have plans to put a solar panel on the roof and rig up a caravan power system (with 12v batteries) so I can run power tools and lights.
I am currently having to run a long extension cord from the house if I want to use the jigsaw or sander.

My wife is banned from entering my workshop as she keeps moving things around and I can't find them again.

Looking to set up a bar type shed in the garden which can double as a man cave away from the house. Has anyone done this, seen some on the net which look
pretty good. Also looking to give it a pub name. Verge Inn etc. The passage of time leaves me clueless as to the many squadron/detachment/platoon bars that had great names
Where to source pub type stuff beer pumps optice etc, I suppose Ebay will have a lot of stuff.

Got about £1500 to do this.
What with the ARRSE demographic an' all, unsurprisingly there are lots of shed ideas and info on here:

ARRSE shed search

Google ARRSE shed search

Also looking to give it a pub name.
The Dog House.

Depending on size requirement, have you considered a fridge box?

A friend in the motor trade, buys ex Asda, Tesco, etc delivery vans, but only wants the chassis. He sells the boxes as sheds, storage units etc.

The bonus is, no work to be done other than add electric and water and they come pre insulated.

I would add, you may have to organise transport/crane if no Hiab.

I agree with others, go for a nice concrete base, and get some more money first and do the job right.

Fridge Van Box Without Freezer Garden Storage Shed | eBay

Fridge Van Box/ Container/ Storage/ Shed Ex Ocado. | eBay

Last edited:
I'm in the process of building a man cave. My plan is to 'acquire' all the bits, then chuck it up over a couple of days. Happily, insulation will not be a problem here, nor 100% waterproofness!! Beforehand I'll be able to make the door and frame, put the new window in a frame, etc so things should just fly up on the day......

It will be based on 2.4m and 1.2m (ie half) tongue and groove planks, so will be in the order of 2.4 x 3.6m, which doesn't sound that big, but is quite substantial when you see it laid out in the back garden! There already exists a brick wall, which will provide the back wall and support for the roof.

So far I have all the wood cladding, wrinkly tin for the roof, a .75 x 1m window, all structural posts, my work-bench, some old kitchen unit doors and a racking system. Power will be supplied from the house and I'll have LEDs inside.

Intend to lay 40 x 20 concrete blocks flat on the 3 sides as a foundation, with one block high on top to keep the wood 20cm off the ground and use to level the concrete infill for the floor. Really looking forward to getting it done!

I did ask earlier if anyone had heard off / used old engine oil (and something - what?) instead of creosote. Anyone?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Get an electrician to install a consumer unit inside the thing, you can save money by digging the trench for the armoured cable and drilling through the wall
under the buildings regs, its notifiable, no point in doing all that and then killing yourself !
also consider heating for cold weather to prevent condensation
a tubular heater with a shield over it and a frost stat will stop things icing up and corroding away usual rating 60watts per foot
essential if you run a water supply in to prevent burst pipes

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm in the process of building a man cave. My plan is to 'acquire' all the bits, then chuck it up over a couple of days. Happily, insulation will not be a problem here, nor 100% waterproofness!! Beforehand I'll be able to make the door and frame, put the new window in a frame, etc so things should just fly up on the day......

It will be based on 2.4m and 1.2m (ie half) tongue and groove planks, so will be in the order of 2.4 x 3.6m, which doesn't sound that big, but is quite substantial when you see it laid out in the back garden! There already exists a brick wall, which will provide the back wall and support for the roof.

So far I have all the wood cladding, wrinkly tin for the roof, a .75 x 1m window, all structural posts, my work-bench, some old kitchen unit doors and a racking system. Power will be supplied from the house and I'll have LEDs inside.

Intend to lay 40 x 20 concrete blocks flat on the 3 sides as a foundation, with one block high on top to keep the wood 20cm off the ground and use to level the concrete infill for the floor. Really looking forward to getting it done!

I did ask earlier if anyone had heard off / used old engine oil (and something - what?) instead of creosote. Anyone?
Old engine oil is carcinogenic

creosote likewise
but you can buy this stuff much safer and works well, and smells nice and old fashioned
Creocote

Creocote (Creosote Substitute) | Barrettine Products