Garden party dress question.

I hope you don't mind if I jump on with my own question. I have been invited to an Embassy evening reception where the dress is national dress or suits with decorations. This is a new one on me; I'm happy with the idea of black tie and miniatures, but - other than remembrance day - I have never worn medals with a suit. As it's evening should I wear miniatures? Also, what is UK national dress? (google shows pearly kings and beefeaters..)
Ah, This one I can play! I have full Jock evening rig with black Prince Charlie jacket. If a military or RNA bash, I wear A miniature (!) and miniature Dolphins. 'They' always ask what the Dolphins are!

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ah, This one I can play! I have full Jock evening rig with black Prince Charlie jacket. If a military or RNA bash, I wear A miniature (!) and miniature Dolphins. 'They' always ask what the Dolphins are!
Thanks, but I am neither Scottish, nor a submariner.. If it was evening rig I'd be happy, but lounge suit is a bit more perplexing

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I did search, but didn't find any answer for my query.

Today I have received an invitation to the British Embassy Garden Party in Madrid to celebrate the Royal Wedding. The invitation states 'Dress code: Garden Party'.

Now I'm assuming this doesn't mean faded shorts, flip flops and a garish shirt! Do any of you old colonial types have any advice re- my sartorial elegance? Linen suit and Panama?

I could do 'Jock in a frock with a knife in the sock' but that seems too excessive!
I think something short and clingy is the way to go.

I hope you don't mind if I jump on with my own question. I have been invited to an Embassy evening reception where the dress is national dress or suits with decorations. This is a new one on me; I'm happy with the idea of black tie and miniatures, but - other than remembrance day - I have never worn medals with a suit. As it's evening should I wear miniatures? Also, what is UK national dress? (google shows pearly kings and beefeaters..)
Having enjoyed a few such occasions and endured many more:
To the OP - easy, No2s or No4s if serving, otherwise a decent suit and tie appropriate to the climate.
To Napier - I’m pretty sure that, in this case, decorations means High Orders that are worn around the neck but not a rack on the breast pocket. In your shoes, I would phone the Defence Section for their advice.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Having enjoyed a few such occasions and endured many more:
To the OP - easy, No2s or No4s if serving, otherwise a decent suit and tie appropriate to the climate.
To Napier - I’m pretty sure that, in this case, decorations means High Orders that are worn around the neck but not a rack on the breast pocket. In your shoes, I would phone the Defence Section for their advice.
I thought that might be the case, I'll leave my Blue Peter badge at home but will wear this
1524554673877.png

Google #qbpmadrid2017

The Twitter results show what guests wore last year. Looks just like our one. There is a move away from old and bold to hip and vibrant. Hardly any women wear hats now and dress is much more relaxed than formal.

Enjoy the food and drink. It's a showcase for the best of British. There may well be a military band and sunset ceremony.

The thème for us this year is RAF 100.

Business suit, linen suit or chinos and blazer. I've seen kilts and national dress. Some guests like to wear their decorations.

If taking a female guest with you, make sure she has perfected the art of walking across a lawn in heels, if there is one.
I suspect the OP has got this one himself down to a tee

Google #qbpmadrid2017

The Twitter results show what guests wore last year. Looks just like our one. There is a move away from old and bold to hip and vibrant. Hardly any women wear hats now and dress is much more relaxed than formal.

Enjoy the food and drink. It's a showcase for the best of British. There may well be a military band and sunset ceremony.

The thème for us this year is RAF 100.
So polyester safari suits would be appropriate?

Could one not jazz things up a bit & don a fancy dress outfit........a relevant historical figure perhaps.
What about Franco? Go down a storm that, with the locals bound to be there too.