Garden party dress question.

I did search, but didn't find any answer for my query.

Today I have received an invitation to the British Embassy Garden Party in Madrid to celebrate the Royal Wedding. The invitation states 'Dress code: Garden Party'.

Now I'm assuming this doesn't mean faded shorts, flip flops and a garish shirt! Do any of you old colonial types have any advice re- my sartorial elegance? Linen suit and Panama?

I could do 'Jock in a frock with a knife in the sock' but that seems too excessive!

Today I have received an invitation to the British Embassy Garden Party in Madrid to celebrate the Royal Wedding. The invitation states 'Dress code: Garden Party'.

Now I'm assuming this doesn't mean faded shorts, flip flops and a garish shirt! Do any of you old colonial types have any advice re- my sartorial elegance? Linen suit and Panama?

I could do 'Jock in a frock with a knife in the sock' but that seems too excessive!
You might need to talk to the commissionaire or the bird on reception. Even Debretts don't know the dress code: Embassy Garden Party.

A tricky one. A stinking (and stinking hot) heavy wool blazer, checked shirt with wine and gravy stained tie, flannels that have seen better days with piss discoloured brown country brogues and topped with a sweat and nicotine stained Panama appears traditional.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/queens-garden-party.62863/post-1313791

There's some stuff in there about it.

I searched for "Garden Party". Which is in the title of your thread.

Phone or email the Embassy and ask would be my advice.

Sluggy your Emminence, that is where I searched, however, it is an Embassy garden party, not a Buck House one, with a stated dress code, of which I can find no record. There may be some queens there, even a real Spanish Queen, but not our Queen.
When you say there may be some queens there you mean RAF Regiment right?

Not Madrid, but I've been shiters in the garden of the British Embassy in Washington a couple of times, and inside many times. Dress was always suit and tie. Or 2s, if serving. In the hotter summer months, you could get away with chinos and blazer.

I'd just ask the person who invited you, to be on the safe side. You don't want to be the dick in black tie when everyone else is wearing lounge suits. Or the other way round.

On the positive side, Aunty Betty puts on a good piss-up. At least in DC.

Linen suit, regimental tie, Panama hat - highly polishes brown shoes. You were correct right off the bat!
Enjoy the occasion.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I hope you don't mind if I jump on with my own question. I have been invited to an Embassy evening reception where the dress is national dress or suits with decorations. This is a new one on me; I'm happy with the idea of black tie and miniatures, but - other than remembrance day - I have never worn medals with a suit. As it's evening should I wear miniatures? Also, what is UK national dress? (google shows pearly kings and beefeaters..)

Business suit, linen suit or chinos and blazer. I've seen kilts and national dress. Some guests like to wear their decorations.

If taking a female guest with you, make sure she has perfected the art of walking across a lawn in heels, if there is one.

Last edited: