Garam Masala

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by blueygirl, Mar 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that the simple answer is to go out a buy the ready prepared stuff, but as I like to try stuff I wondered is anyone had a tried and tested homemade version of garam masala.

Oh, any thoughts as to which of the ready prepared versions is best would also be good.

2. Plenty of recipes on the web depends on your individual taste, my missus makes her own all the time.

1 tbsp cardamom seeds, whole not pods
    1 cinnamon stick, 2 inch
    1 tsp black cumin seeds
    1 tsp cloves, whole
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    1/4 nutmeg, average size

grind it in a spice or coffe grinder stick it in a jar with a tight fitting lid and keep it out of sunlight.

another one

1 tbsp cardamom seeds
    1 2" long cinnamon stick
    1 tsp black cumin
    1 tsp cloves
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    1/4 nutmeg
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1/2 tsp dried coriander seeds
    1/2 tsp mace powder
    1 piece star anise
    1 long bay leaf

this one you roast the spices in a dry hot frying pan for about 30 seconds or untill the seeds start to pop then grind and stick in a jar, i like this one better.

3. Definately don't over-do the dry roasting otherwise you get a dark, smokey taste (Unless you like that).

4. Certainly not, just start to pop is what I should have said, sorry, not only smokey but bitter if you overdo it. Thanks for reminding me I should have been clearer.

5. I tend to use the second recipe with the exception that I don't use mace and nutmeg, usually one or the other, I also add black mustard seeds. I only ever make up enough for immediate use and grind it in a mortar and pestle, purely because I love the smell as I prepare it.

6. Bearing in mind that masala is just the word for mixture, then why not have more than one made up for different recipies.
    I have four different mixtures sitting on my shelves depending on what I want to do. it also saves time as now I have a potent curry mix, and a normal curry mix so I only have to shovel in a spoonful to get the desired result, subjaect to fine alterations of course.

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Near as dammit what I use,also in a food processor,blitz 3 large white onions & minimum 5 cloves of garlic into a fine paste & fry off then add the toasted Masala to that.
    I also deep fry sliced onions till brown & crisp,sprinkle over the finished dish.
    Spike

8. All sound fantastic - like Mark I'd probably choose either mace or nutmeg. Spike - I like the idea of the onion and garlic paste as well...

...mmmm...I feel a cook-fest coming on during leave next week :D

9. A simple side dish to all curries:- 2 large white onions, 6 cloves of garlic, 6 large firm tomatoes and 6 whole red chillies (de seeded for the non heteros), bosh the onions in the processor, blitz for 5 seconds, add garlic for a further 3 seconds add toms and chillies for 15 seconds, should leave a chunky chutney type dish, good for anything, sarnies, top of chips etc.

10. Sainty - That's pretty much my standby salsa/salad/chutney/whatever recipe...add red wine and it makes a good sauce for pasta as well

11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

blueygirl,
    A good site I use for Indian recipies is this one;

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/

I know a few Indian people from when I was working in a call center & they're from Kerala region & even they've said some of the recipies are spot on.
    Spike