Garage security

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Cam3229, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening gents,
    I've just moved into my first property with a garage, now ive got all my stuff from my old place about to be moved into it, unfortunatly the lock on the handle doesnt work :( now to stop the little-toe-rags getting in does anybody have any good reviews for locks? Or general security?! The scrotes are most certainly going to get eyes on! The door is the up n over with no other access.
    Thanks

2. Do you have a side entry door, so you can bolt your U & O door from the inside?

3. I have no other doors, the other garages have what looks to be a shed door bolt and padlock, would this arrangement even deter anyone?

4. Do you have a car you can park in front of the door to prevent it opening?

I have the same type of door and do that as a routine.

5. Get a Garage Door Defender. Easy enough to DIY fit too.

If you're really concerned about security then buy a pair and fit a 1/3 of the door width in from either side.

6. On my street quite recently most of all the U & O doors were forced in the night by placing a piece of scaffold pipe on the centre lock/handle and rotating.

This caused the lock to break and release the metal rods that connected with the surrounding frames.

The centre locks are a waste of space.

Fit locks in each corner (or the bottom corners as a minimum), to prevent the door being forced in the corners and pulled out.

There are special locks available from proper locksmiths for U&O doors, or the cheaper DIY option of fitting lockable bretton bolts (available in Wickes) and matched padlocks (the best you can afford).

I had already gone down the second option prior to the brake ins and fitted a security light over the door, there was no evidence of any tampering with my U&O.

Also I have a fitted alarm with a visible bell box by YALE but cheaper versions are available from Wickes.

7. Small anti-personnel mines littered randomly around the entrance may help? This approach would also have the bonus of eradicating foxes, neighbours' cats, Jehovah's Witnesses and double glazing salesmen.

8. I fastened a big scaffold tube to the bottom on the door so it couldn't be bent in or out, and a bolt with padlock either side. That was in Reading and never got broken into, so I guess it'll be good anywhere

9. Stand in there quietly wearing a black hooded cape and a Scream mask. It won't stop them getting in, but it'll be ******* funny when they lift the door up.