Gaps1 (CMSR 1b) Grantham ...

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by RP578, Oct 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

... this weekend.

Can anyone PM me joining instructions, or even just general details, for the above?

Have just been handed a last minute task of getting a recruit on to the new Gaps regime with no joining instructions except the dates (this weekend) with the annotation that it is at Grantham.

No one in Regiment:
    a) is answering their telephones and/or emails
    b) is returning my messages
    c) has a clue

Will have to take this lad early in tomorrow morning if I'm going to be able to then take other recruits for their recruit selection in the evening which won't give me much time to check emails from Trg Team/ATR Grantham. Ergo, desperately need an answer tonight.

Help... anyone?

2. what happened?

Sounds like a really well administrered and switched on unit.

3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It didn't. We were a day late and a dollar short. Was really annoyed on behalf of the young lad who had cleared a weekend for this. He now has to reschedule his weekends off work for the next cycle of Gaps as they are entirely sequential.

Let's not go there. Am very unimpressed by the chain of responsibility here and especially with a couple of the links in it. the flow of information has been stagnant for some time.

The new CMSR 1b weekend run by Regs should be a good move, but the course bidding/loading system will require a degree of foreplanning that could render it almost unworkable. Especially given that there under 40 places per weekend for the entire Bde and missing one weekend will result in the entire set needing to be redone.

Couple the above with the fact that the two week CMSR 1c needs to be attended no less than 5 weeks after completing the last weekend or the recruit will have redo the entire 4 weekend cycle.

I've been instructed to stock up on aspirin.

4. msr

msr LE

Isn't 1b 6 weekends run by Bde (or not depending on which Bde you are in?)

msr

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

As I currently understand it the 6 weekends are split into two TA Foundation Syllabus (TAFS) weends henceforth to be referred to (in my Regt at least) as CMSR 1a. The remaining four weekends were known here as Gaps weekends and are now called CMSR 1b.

CMSR 1b is now being held at a regular ATR by regular instructors and training slots are bid allocated per Bde.

Any or all of the above is subject to change and indeed may already have. I will of course be the last to know so if you here any rumours pass them on please.

6. This sort of stuff really, really grips my sh*t. Having been regular (but marveled at the enthusiasm and commitment of most TA soldiers) it is inexcusable.

Fat (usually), lazy (often) and pension-seeking (always) regs and pedantic, money-grabbing, NFI NRPS (don't even get me started) types - have a look here. http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=29907.html

It's a real pity Harry Smith's attitude can't be bottled and force fed to the 'enablers' and their absolutely useless admin staff at the selection interview . . . although there are, thankfully, some exceptions.

. . . and breathe.

7. msr

msr LE

As I understand it:

TAFS 1a= 2 weekends run by unit
    TAFS 1b= 4 weekends run at Bde RTC
    TAFS 1c= 2 weeks at an ATRA (for which you need to be able to complete 1.5 miles in 14 minutes, not 10.30!!)

msr
    P.S. Has anyone actually compared the joining instructions from the different ATRAs?