Gap Year

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by V8376668, Nov 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking about applying for the army gap year placement. Has anyone here tried it? What is it like?
  2. You must get naked at a moments notice.
  3. Brilliant idea... unfortunately i have heard rumours that this years intake is the last. The only way you can know for sure is to ask your army careers advisor.
  4. If you're just going to join up anyway, then there is little point as you are merely wasting a year in the army as an insufficiently trained subaltern, when you could wait...

If you are unsure, on the other hand, then the Gap year has to be the best way to see what the Army's really like...along with all that character development stuff, learning from mistakes and then leaving at the end etc, without the whole 3/4 year commitment.
  5. Bollocks mate! :)

My Gap Year made me the man I am today. Helped me make up my mind about my sex change.
  6. Oh, don't get me wrong...

Without my Gap year, I wouldn't be an alchoholic who is physically unable to stomach alchohol (cruel irony) due to over abuse.

I also wouldn't be nearly as ludicrously (and unecessarily) arrogant, nor would I wear chino's

I wouldn't get 'the itch' to leap outside and crawl through bushes, nor would I refer to people as 'good sorts.'

Nor would I look at snow with fear and start stroking old 'war wounds' while muttering about the wind changing.

made me the man I am today..............a tit
  7. Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy it, and would definitely do it again if what the Born again Christians say about rebirth is true
  8. I wouldn't say you were an arrogant tit Burgers, Just a profoundly misoginastic, arrogant tit. Burgers Quote of the year "It's not that I don't like women, it's just that I can't stand people who can't do Infantry, which is 75% of women"
  9. I'm applying to do the placement for the yr after this.. who are you thinking of joining?
  10. I did one and really enjoyed it. However, it can be a bit of al ottery, as a lot depends on how you get supported and used by your unit. Where you go will also effect what level of responsibility you get. if you join a corps witha surplus of young officers, you'll probably find yourelf quite buckshee. If you join a corps with a shortage of young officers, more likely you'll get a troop.