Gap Year Commisions

Good Evening,
I am currently in Lower VI at school, studying for A levels, with the possible of intention of pursuing a military career post University.
Whilst trawling the school library, I came across an army leaflet circa 2004, on the topic of Gap Year Commissions. No mention of these were made during a brief meeting with an Army careers advisor, and after searching the web to no avail, I can only presume they are no longer being offered.
Could anyone confirm or deny this for me?
Many Thanks

Good Evening,
I am currently in Lower VI at school, studying for A levels, with the possible of intention of pursuing a military career post University.
Whilst trawling the school library, I came across an army leaflet circa 2004, on the topic of Gap Year Commissions. No mention of these were made during a brief meeting with an Army careers advisor, and after searching the web to no avail, I can only presume they are no longer being offered.
Could anyone confirm or deny this for me?
Many Thanks
Google is your friend you halfwit.

Halfwit I may be, but I can't find any recent information regarding above- nothing since 2005.
Just thought straight from the horses mouth etc...

The scheme ended in 2005 partly due to a shortfall in funding. Bit of a shame as it was a good idea at the time.
Possibly your only other option for a gap year is the TA.

The scheme ended in 2005 partly due to a shortfall in funding. Bit of a shame as it was a good idea at the time.
Possibly your only other option for a gap year is the TA.
orrr, if that doesn't appeal.......

a) Hold breath for 8 minutes.

b) Die.

(to OP, not Slick)

Ahh, indeed.......................................................can't say I was a big fan, 3 years and then away to be 'something in the city'
Wasn't it 9 months (after a brief waft through Sandhurst) of being generally unusable but then going off to uni to lord it over the OTC as someone akin to Montgomery?

Wasn't it 9 months (after a brief waft through Sandhurst) of being generally unusable but then going off to uni to lord it over the OTC as someone akin to Montgomery?
Thought it was 3 years, 6 for certain corps???

Been an LEC, I am not only unsure but old to boot !

Don't worry OP, not everyone in the Army is as cuntish as those on this thread.

Short answer: Gap Year Commissions don't exist any more. When you join, it's a year at RMAS followed by a Short Service Commission, which is a minimum of three years post Sandhurt extendable to eight. After that, it's possible to have a career up to age 55.

KBR do gap year 'Commissions'.....

Halfwit I may be, but I can't find any recent information regarding above- nothing since 2005.
OP is correct - once the GYC came to an end every trace of it vanished from the MoD website. Traditional photo of the last course to go through, outside Old College - GAP Year 06/1 in October 2006 - on wall a few feet away from me. Includes OCdt Hunter-Choat who was awarded the Sword of Honour at the Sovereign's Parade in December 12. Entry was by RCB / AOSB, and entitled those who were successful to request entry to a Regular commissioning course at any suitable time (i.e. after finishing degree etc) during the next 7 years if they wished.
GYC was six weeks at RMAS followed by up to a year in a regiment. Came to an end as it was partly conceived of as a form of advertising - you had to be quite high-powered to get on, and the idea was that if those who had been through it then went on to achieve high positions in other walks of life, they would tell the other successful people around them positive tales of the Army. It became the case that 50 2Lts' salaries constituted a rather expensive outlay for an uncertain return.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B OTC and ACF 14
SONIC Royal Signals 4
S Officers 34