Gangster Films

Haven't as yet got around to seeing - 'Mesrine - Killer Instinct' which is part 1 of the film story of Jacques Mesrine' gangster escapades in France.

Alec_Lomas said:
le_crabe_tambour said:
Alec_Lomas said:
'Borsalino' (1970) Jean-Paul Belmondo and Alain Delon. Gauloises (sp?) and pin stripe suits. The French outdid the Americans on this one at the time.

Also "Le Samurai" with Alain Delon good flick too, very stylish 60's french gangster films

If you like French film which I do, how's about -

'A Bout de Souffle'
'Le Cercle Rouge (1970) with Alain Delon again.
' Rififi' one of the best robbery sequences ever filmed, brilliant!
' The Beat That My Heart Skipped (2005)

Alain Delon, Yves Montand, Jean Gabin - didn't quite my time at Pau :D

Ahh Pau :D yes quite liked "Rififi" as you say the robbery scene in silence is spot on, also one for francophones is 'Le Petit Soldat" by Jean Luc Godard set in the days of Algerie Francaise and the OAS with Michel Subor, also looking forward to Mesrine before my time but still held in awe in parts of France

Alec_Lomas said:
Haven't as yet got around to seeing - 'Mesrine - Killer Instinct' which is part 1 of the film story of Jacques Mesrine' gangster escapades in France.

Vincent Cassel is one of the freakiest fcukers in film. I'd pay to watch him read the phone book out loud.

Speaking of which, does "Eastern Promises" count? That's one of those movies that I initially did not like at all, but has grown on me tremendously after the viewing had time to jell. The nominal plot is a snore but I really enjoyed watching Viggo, Vincent Cassel and assorted extras portray grimy Russian gangster life.

TankiesYank said:
Alec_Lomas said:

Vincent Cassel is one of the freakiest fcukers in film. I'd pay to watch him read the phone book out loud.

Speaking of which, does "Eastern Promises" count? That's one of those movies that I initially did not like at all, but has grown on me tremendously after the viewing had time to jell. The nominal plot is a snore but I really enjoyed watching Viggo, Vincent Cassel and assorted extras portray grimy Russian gangster life.

Better than Christopher Walken ?

le_crabe_tambour said:
Vincent Cassel is one of the freakiest fcukers in film

Better than Christopher Walken ?

Hmmmm, that's tough.

My patriotic heart belongs to Christopher Walken, but he's getting old and someone's got to inherit the grinning-psycho throne.

TankiesYank said:
Alec_Lomas said:

My bold - I did mention Eastern Promises in an earlier post. You have however highlighted Vincent Cassel whom I didn't connect to 'Mesrine' Damn, how could I have missed that.... Thanks for that.

' The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond' Ray Danton in the lead as John 'Legs' Diamond a famous Irish / American mobster. There was so many attempts on his life that he was also referred to as " the clay pigeon of the underworld".

As for Ray Danton, now there was one smooth actor.

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not exactly a 'Gangster' film of that genre so apologies but,

'The League of Gentlemen' 1960.

Here>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_League_of_Gentlemen_(film)

Rudie

LE
le_crabe_tambour said:
How about "Performance with Mick Jagger and James Fox weird but very atmospheric 60's gangster film with a couple of real life villains in the cast John Bindon for instance...sort of Woodstock meets The Krays
Good call Le Crab. The gangsters in Performance are the most convincing gangsters that I ve ever seen in a movie. Why?because they are real gangsters!
James Fox is extremley convincing as a London gangster,a part in which he prepared for the role by drinking and "going to work" with Johnny Binden. It's been said that this left him mentally damaged for years afterwards.
Coincidently,Guy Ritchie based Vinnie Jones character "Big Chris" in Lock,Stock And Two Smoking Barrels on Johnny Binden

Rudie said:
le_crabe_tambour said:
How about "Performance with Mick Jagger and James Fox weird but very atmospheric 60's gangster film with a couple of real life villains in the cast John Bindon for instance...sort of Woodstock meets The Krays
Good call Le Crab. The gangsters in Performance are the most convincing gangsters that I ve ever seen in a movie. Why?because they are real gangsters!
James Fox is extremley convincing as a London gangster,a part in which he prepared for the role by drinking and "going to work" with Johnny Binden. It's been said that this left him mentally damaged for years afterwards.
Coincidently,Guy Ritchie based Vinnie Jones character "Big Chris" in Lock,Stock And Two Smoking Barrels on Johnny Binden

Great minds think alike Rudie yep James Fox went in a monastary for a number of years due to a breakdown caused by the LSD he took in the scenes with Mick Jagger, always thought he looked like a sharp looking suedehead in his gangster get up....did'nt know Guy Ritchie based the Vinnie Jones character on John Bindon though that joke gangster Dave Courtney's always saying its based on him.

le_crabe_tambour said:
Rudie said:
le_crabe_tambour said:

Great minds think alike Rudie yep James Fox went in a monastary for a number of years due to a breakdown caused by the LSD he took in the scenes with Mick Jagger, always thought he looked like a sharp looking suedehead in his gangster get up....did'nt know Guy Ritchie based the Vinnie Jones character on John Bindon though that joke gangster Dave Courtney's always saying its based on him.

Bindon was wrapped up with Princess Margret for a short time. She was rather taken with a particular part of his very well endowed anatomy. One of his party pieces was to play the piano with his dick. He found himself warned off by larger men in dark suits from the Establishment.
He was involved in a particularly brutal knife fight in which John Dark was killed. Bindon himself was seriously wounded and got himself across to Ireland in the state he was in and recovered.
He subsequently died of Aids.

LancePrivateJones said:
Not exactly a 'Gangster' film of that genre so apologies but,

'The League of Gentlemen' 1960.

Here>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_League_of_Gentlemen_(film)

Some years back I was in conversation with Mel Smith, who at the time owned the rights to this film. He may well still do for all I know. He was planning a re-make / update of this with Bob Hoskins in one of the roles. Mel Smith was enquiring as to whether some of the actors could credibly pass as ex-mil, particularly ex- Op Corporate vets. His wine cellar was seriously depleted after that evening. :D

Rudie

LE
Alec_Lomas said:
le_crabe_tambour said:
Rudie said:
le_crabe_tambour said:

Bindon was wrapped up with Princess Margret for a short time. She was rather taken with a particular part of his very well endowed anatomy. One of his party pieces was to play the piano with his dick. He found himself warned off by larger men in dark suits from the Establishment.
He was involved in a particularly brutal knife fight in which John Dark was killed. Bindon himself was seriously wounded and got himself across to Ireland in the state he was in and recovered.
He subsequently died of Aids.
The film "The Bank Job" was inspired by the relationship between John Binden and Princess Margret. There were rumours of some dodgy photographs in circulation from the time they spent in Mustique, not necessarily involving John Binden though. However,this photo did cause a major ruckas in establisment circles when it was published.

Attachments

• bindonmargdm2505_468x354.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 258

Latest Threads