Gang use snakes in street attack

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by johnboyzzz, Aug 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

A gang brandishing snakes as 'weapons' attacked a 14-year-old boy with a python, forcing the reptile to bite the teenager's hand.

Paramedics who attended the scene in Bradley Stoke, South Gloucestershire, were left baffled by the injury and called Bristol Zoo for advice.

The boy was pinned against a wall by the gang on Saturday afternoon, before one forced the python to attack.

The teenager was taken to Frenchay Hospital for checks.

'Puncture wounds'

Police and the RSPCA are now investigating the incident, which took place shortly before 1500 BST .

A spokesman for Great Western Ambulance service (GWAS) said: "Ambulance staff consulted Google and Bristol Zoo experts after a teenager was attacked by a group of youths brandishing snakes.

"The group was apparently carrying several snakes and forced one of them to bite the boy on the hand, leaving two puncture wounds."

Pythons are ambush predators which rely on crushing their prey, and are not venomous.

GWAS incident support officer Michael Howells, who was at the scene, said: "Although the patient was suffering breathing difficulties after the attack, this was probably due to panic rather than a reaction to the bite - I would probably be panicky if that happened to me."
  2. Christ sounds like something chinese triads used to do, although they had snakes specific to their gang. Idiots.
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if the gang will manage to wriggle out of the charges if they get caught?
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

*Sigh* I predict four pages of increasingly appalling snake puns.

That'll be krait fun. Probably full of taipan errors.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Full marks for use of initiative.
    No guns, no knives, what on earth would you charge them with?

'Going equipped with a snake with intent?'

They'll be using Jack Russells next the bastards.
  6. I've adder enough already ........boom boom :D
  7. If it's the area I think it is, the python has more reasons to be worried about the bite.
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

four pages? thats going to be asp boring. probably urutu crap an' all.
  9. Snake likes pussy

Family cat 'eaten by pet python'

Martin and Helen Wadey said they could do nothing to stop the attack

A family has called for a change in the law after a 13ft (4m) Burmese python crushed and ate their cat.

Four-year-old Wilbur, who lived with his owners in the Brislington area of Bristol, was apparently ambushed by the reptile in a neighbouring garden.

Owners Martin and Helen Wadey said they heard "blood curdling cries" which they knew were being made by their pet.

They said they were unable to prevent Wilbur being eaten alive by the snake, which a neighbour keeps as a pet.

We can't know for certain that it was Wilbur, but it is very, very likely
    RSPCA spokeswoman

Mr and Mrs Wadey said Wilbur, who had been microchipped, died on 25 June.

The RSPCA said that all the evidence suggested Wilbur had indeed been swallowed by the snake.

A spokeswoman said: "The snake was scanned and we can confirm that a microchip was found inside. We can't know for certain that it was Wilbur, but it is very, very likely."

An RSPCA inspector issued the snake's owner, Darren Bishop, with a verbal warning about appropriate housing and care requirements.

'Very distressing'

The ordeal prompted Mr Wadey, 44, to set up a campaign appealing for the Dangerous Wild Animals Act to include constrictor snakes.

He said: "We heard this screaming coming from the garden. We knew it was Wilbur, we could recognise his voice.

"It was amplified and like a baby screaming. It was very distressing."

The law currently allows anyone to walk into a pet shop and buy a python without any checks.

The Wadeys are campaigning for any potential owner to require a licence because, Mr Wadey added, many owners underestimate the snake's "wild instincts".

Mr Bishop has been unavailable for comment.
  10. Come on now. 'Zat ees enough. Vee need to viper zee slate clean.
  11. Snakehead gangs? Do Chinese hoodies use cobras?

Anyhow, fear not. Apparently, the vigilantes of Bristol are going to acquire some mongooses.
  12. These puns are realy starting to hiss me off.
  13. As was Wilbur.
  14. Something about this story doesn't adder up. In fact it sounds like a load of boa'llocks.
  15. I expect he dugit up from his garden.