Gaming Peripherals of Choice

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jan 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

It was my birthday t'other day, so I treated myself to a new mouse. For the last 6-7 years I've been using a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse, one of the first optical mice they did. It was brilliant, well shaped and reliable - I only had to get rid because it was getting old and randomly double-clicking. My favourite feature was a simple one - the fourth and fifth buttons were on either side of the mouse. It was still quite ergonomic, and made for some very intuitive "leaning" keys in what was my online FPS of choice at the time, Soldier of Fortune II.

When I originally considered an upgrade a couple of years back I noticed Logitech doing a wireless gaming mouse that had a similar button layout (which is rare - most keep the extra buttons by your thumb), and an exceedingly clever power system. The wireless receiver was part of a USB charging station, and the mouse came with two batteries. One charged while the other was used, and the changover time, assuming one ran out in the middle of a game, was recorded at around five seconds. Unfortunately they were a tad expensive at £50-60 back when I was a student so I never got one.

Now I've finally got around to buying a new one, I've been unable to locate the mouse I wanted. Apparently Logitech discontinued them and I can find no reference to them anywhere. Instead, I've settled for a Logitech G9x (less than £70 on Amazon, not the £90 advertised). As you'll see from the specs, it's pretty nifty. I've had it plugged in for all of ten minutes just running across my desktop and I'm already impressed. The on-the-fly DPI changes make quite a difference, and both interchangeable grips are easy to swap, comfortable and well-designed. I'm "working from home" tomorrow so will get to give it a proper road-test on MW2 to see what difference it makes in the actual gaming.

For the rest of my gaming, I have another Logitech wonder for my keyboard - the UltraX. Again it's been discontinued, but essentially it's a full size, yet slimline, almost laptopesque keyboard. Very comfy indeed, in games but definitely for typing. Sound-system is Logitech again (not through and love of Logitech, they simply seem to offer the best solution every time I need something). Full 5.1 Surround for under £70, crystal clear and very well made.

Random extras on the desk include a cheap Tesco halogen desk-lamp (enough to light my keyboard without needing the main light on), and a USB fan that I got for Christmas. It's not had much use, what with all the snow, but imagine it will come summer! They all plug into a very useful multipoint surge-protected power adaptor with four plugs, a USB-hub, ethernet hub and phone hub built in - and it all sits on a £50 Ikea desk that is surprisingly good.

So, what do you have in your gaming arsenal? What would you consider to be your ultimate setup? Reviews, recommendations or simple bragging - feel free to post your favourite peripherals* here!

*Peripheral vision does not count, before someone gets funny.

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Logitech MX518 USB gaming mouse on an Allsop steel mouse mat, Microsoft USB Comfort Curve keyboard, Creative 2.1 speaker system, Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick on my desk ready to use.
    I've also got a Saitek PS2 style USB joypad for racing games, the Saitel X45 HOTAS set, the Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS and the Microsoft Strategic Commander for RTS games as and when I need them.
    of them all, the mouse, mouse mat and keyboard get the most use gaming wise - they're also very reasonably priced. the keyboard was £15 new, and MS kit by it's nature is pretty bombproof, and the mouse is superb as well and can be had for £25-30 ish. the mat was £15 from maplin iirc.
    from experience, anything Microsoft, Logitech, Saitek or Thrustmaster will always be good build quality.

3. BNM, I think the mouse you are referring to was the Logitech G7. Indeed it was an awesome mouse, I had one until it started to get a bit erratic in movement. Replaced it with a G5 (corded), as I couldn't find a G7, or another mouse that used a similar rechargeable battery system. The G5 has been a suitable replacement, even if it is corded.

For a keyboard I use an original Logitech G11, the one with 18 programmable buttons. The newer ones only have 6 I believe.
    [​IMG]

Tried loads of other peripherals - Strategic Commander, Belkin Nostromo Speedpad (to name 2), but I always come back to a good keyboard and mouse combo.

4. funny that, i was looking for a joystick over here the other day, to play new flight sim "wings of prey." can you believe that not a single computer shop in Brunei sells joysticks? gamepads, mice, keyboards - fine. chat headsets for gaming? millions of them. steering wheels? check.

joystick? "what's that?"

my keyboard and mouse are by Razer (copperhead mouse and lycosa keyboard). i went back to a wired mouse after many years, as cordless just weren't cutting it.

5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

G7 definitely sounds familiar. I can't believe they just gave up on the idea, though. If, as you say, it was a great mouse, you'd expect new upgrades and models on the same theme or something. All Logitech wireless jobbies now seem to use standard AA batteries, no bespoke rechargeables or docking stations.