Gaming PC on a budget, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by joey_deacons_lad, Mar 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will soon be getting a £500 allowance off the missus to buy a new PC, now Im aware this amount isn't really great for a performance rig but I will be able to skip on ancills such as monitor/speakers etc to put as much into the rig itself. Can anyone recommend any sites or setups within my budget. I know building one is the cheapest option but I dont trust myself enough to do that.

2. Mate- you can easily get a good gaming set up for that money if your going for a desktop pc, bit harder for a laptop but still do able.

3. I had one made by a guy in Stoke, over three years ago now, top of the range Cards
    etc. only thing I did wrong was to specify Vista, soon had that bloody thing replaced,
    though. It is a 'Blue Light' Tower only, mind!
    I'll dig his details out when I get home on Friday if you want, however it was just a
    tad over what your OC is giving you.

4. Spend a couple of quid on a PC mag such as PC Advisor for best guidance.

5. Sorry to sound horrible but definitely not if you want a decent spec to run most games now. I mean if you are a serious gamer then you'll be needing to spend onwards and upwards from £1,000.

Though I have seen ones from £500+ but their back dated stock companies want to move out of their warehouses. I mean if you want to possibly make this process somewhat cheaper sometimes (depending on where you source your processor, cards, memory, power supply and case from of course) you can make this purchase(s) really cheap for yourself (cutting out the middleman as it where).

You'll learn allot more in the process too of how they work.

6. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Or talk to your local computer shop. I used to live close to one where the guy would build you a PC on the cheap. The way he did that was buy using video cards etc taken out of computers brought in to be upgraded.

The spec was still fairly decent because people who brought in computers to be upgraded generally had good quality parts being swapped out for the absolutely latest gizmo's.

It's worth a 5 minute phone call...

Wordsmith

7. @ Andrew actually horrible is exactly what you sounded..... One of the PC magazines did an article on build your own PC that could run Skyrim at FULL specs. They used a dual core processor with a chunk of RAM and a good Gfx card and it came to under £500.

Everyone has a budget and the OP can get a relatively good system for his money, that will allow him to play all new games at a resonable spec and should remain so for a couple of years, where a simple Gfx card upgrade will probably bring him straight back up to gaming speed.

As the OP said, he knows he isn't going to get a Competition spec system for that sort of money, so why diss him?

Try these guys, they know what they are doing and they don't charge the earth for what they do:

Scan 3xs Systems - Custom PCs built by the award winning team

8. OK I have seen a pre build which isn't amazing but has potential, the thing is the place selling it has a great returns and warranty policy specs as follows
    AMD Athlon 11x4 processor 640 3.0 ghz
    4GB memory
    1TB Hard drive
    wifi
    15 in 1 card reader. Whatever that is
    Geforce 406 1gb dedicated.
    I know the Graphics card is crap but the system costs £359 so Im thinking I could get a new more up do date card, question is would doing that drag the rig into the 21st century? Is the processor, Memory and Hard drive up to scratch?

9. Company or Linky?

10. Its my local costco and they dont have the product on the website, I wrote it down last time I was in there

11. This do you:

LN39328
    Ezcool NA-705B Black Mesh Mid Tower Case with 500W PSU
    £21.58

LN40013
    Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H, AMD A75, S FM1, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, RAID SATA, PCIe 2.0 (x16), Graphics On Board, ATX
    £69.30

LN43069
    1GB EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked FTW, 4050MHz GDDR5, GPU 867MHz, Shader Clock 1734MHz, 336 Cores, 2x DL DVI-I/mini HDMI
    £119.35
    £119.20
    LN43191
    AMD Athlon II X4 651 Black Edition, S FM1, Quad Core, 3.0GHz, 1MB Cache, 100W, Retail
    £72.78

LN37173
    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-14900 (1866), Non-ECC, CAS 9-10-9-27, XMP, 1.50V
    £52.51

LN32959
    750GB Western Digital WD7500BPVT Scorpio Blue, 2.5", 9.5 mm, SATA 3Gb/s, 5400rpm, 8MB Cache, 12ms
    £75.30

Total: £427.60

all available from Computer Hardware - Scan.co.uk Word of caution ring the sales team to confirm compatibility, I am slightly out of touch with the motherboard/VGA card compatability

12. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I bought a comp from scan.co.uk - the G20 - I aded the Solid state HDD for the OS and more RAM, but without those it comes in at £545, runs all the games I want to play at full spec - WOW, SWTOR, Total war etc.

I had my own ancils so no monitors in the package, but a damn fine basic gaming setup for the price.

S_R

13. I got mine from overclockers.co.uk! Runs wow on full graphics and when my hdd died I had a new one sent out within hours, no dramas.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Check out Novatech for those on a budget
    PC Components, Desktop PCs, Laptops, LCD TVs & Computer Hardware

Also Ariapc
    Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices

IIRC Serious Gamers tend to prefer YoYo Tech
    ::YoYo Tech::

You could always check out the Forum's for further recommendations.

15. Nova Tech are very good if the OP isnt into building their own they do good barebones bundles for mere PC mortals, and a phone call can have a few bits swaped in or out resulting in a decent system for about £500.
    Good thing is the customer support is top notch to.