Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Cpt_Darling, Mar 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All,

On the hunt for a laptop capable of running games at a decent level. I do all my BF3 etc on Xbox, so really Im looking to be able to run games like Shogun 2, that sort of thing, so specs something like:

2nd Generation Intel® Core™i5 processor (or greater), or AMD equivalent
    2GB RAM (XP), 4GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
    AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series graphics cards or equivalent DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
    1280×1024 minimum screen resolution
    20GB free hard disk space

So ideas for laptops and best prices would be great, or any other suggestions.

2. Why a laptop?I only ask as really they are not a good investment.For what you pay for a decent gaming laptop you could get a bloody amazing Tower system that could rule the world.Also Lappys dont last as long and when they do die you either cant fix them or its just not economical to do.Also with a tower you can upgrade the hardware unlike a laptop.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. No room to set up a tower unit at home, and I spend alot of time moving around going on courses etc. so a laptop suits me better.
  4. Novatech or Dell?
    Really depends on how much you want to spend?
    Would go for 8GB RAM & SSD Hard drive as a lot quicker playing games with.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

even a small factor tower will get you far more for your money.
  6. Yes but the OP has already said he needs laptop for convenience.
  7. Alienware m14x is good, plays bf3 and connects to a 30inch monitor through display port.
    Good for travel and gaming as its small enough yet screen size works.
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

a gaming laptop...I cant think of a better way to waste your money. except maybe buying Apple kit. ;)
  9. I've got an iphone too :)

As I said it doesn't have to be absolutley top spec. I'm mainly a TW series PC gamer.