Gaming Disorder or just bad parenting?

Are you saying that she has created a job for herself?
I don't think she has to - she's a very well respected consultant psychiatrist so could probably earn a fortune working solely in private medicine, instead she's chosen to use her time to get the NHS to provide something that would normal only be available to rich people.

Last edited:
this gaming malarkey is the same as 'affluenza'. Sh*t parenting. You don't even have to be tech savvy, as long as you know your way around a socket. My kids just get told 'you've been on too long' and they get off. Or they KNOW they will lose kindle, internet, Tele or (down to specifics) paw patrol and my little pony privileges. Minimum ban. One week. 'Can I go on sonic' (it's back!) is met with 'have you read/tidied/homeworked/etc'? They haven't asked in ages and answered the above with a 'no' because they know that I will send them to complete that task first. We've discussed the little girl swamping herself play computers. My children understand that should they do that then I'll rub their noses in it, make them tidy up and then remove privileges on electrical items until they are 18.
Yes a part of this probably does come down to shit parenting, but not all parents are aware they are shit, so sometimes it's useful to have a professional observe for a bit and give advice on how they can become less shit.

I don't think she has too - she's a very well respected consultant psychiatrist so could probably earn a fortune working solely in private medicine, instead she's chosen to use her time to get the NHS to provide something that would normal only be available to rich people.
So she's after an MBE?

Yes a part of this probably does come down to shit parenting, but not all parents are aware they are shit, so sometimes it's useful to have a professional observe for a bit and give advice on how they can become less shit.
Stop your brats playing on consoles for long periods.
How much should I charge for that obvious advice?

Stop your brats playing on consoles for long periods.
How much should I charge for that obvious advice?
Well I guess if you want to go for the lowest denominator and just stop one undesirable behaviour, rather than tackling the root-cause sure and don't care if they go on to become problematic adults, underachieving adults, or the problem manifests itself in other ways such as anorexia etc, sure why not...

Well I guess if you want to go for the lowest denominator and just stop one undesirable behaviour, rather than tackling the root-cause sure and don't care if they go on to become problematic adults or the problem manifests itself in other ways, why not.
I know it's a hard concept but sometimes telling people to stop acting like a **** is more effective than alleged therapy.

I don't know if the presentation is exactly the same, but the harms are certainly comparable. Gambling addiction can be measured in one of two ways, most people will be unable to afford their addiction and their problems are financial. The other harm is time, in that they spend more time than they can afford on gambling.

I would expect gaming harms are in the latter category - although with the recent additions such as loot boxes etc, I suspect some financial harms will be seen now -and perhaps the RNG there (not knowing what you will get from a loot box) will contribute towards developing addiction.

As an example, the time related harms actually reminds me of a gentleman who took part in the study I worked on, he was one of the shops best customers and would spend a couple of 1000 per day on the electronic slot machines (FOBTs).

Financially it didn't matter to him because he owned most of the commercial premises in the town, however whilst I was assessing him for addiction, he admitted what really bothered him about playing was how he missed his kids growing up and spent so much time away from his family playing on those machines.
I did not think of that. My question was more about the Pleasure Pathways and their roles in addictions. I had a very informative drugs and alcohol lecture from a Master At Arms a few years ago. I had never heard of them before, but if the achivement of completing level x if a game causes pleases than it could lead to problems.

Of course, there is always the problem of chiodren and in-game purchases - as already documentd int he press and elsewhere. When you have adults, who should know better competing for a £XXXX in game weapon skin - with kids being unable to fully seperate reality and virtual reality that is a whole other can of worms to consider if you don't educate or supervise children online

Of course, there is always the problem of chiodren and in-game purchases - as already documentd int he press and elsewhere. When you have adults, who should know better competing for a £XXXX in game weapon skin - with kids being unable to fully seperate reality and virtual reality that is a whole other can of worms to consider if you don't educate or supervise children online
The little ******* can't get in app purchases unless their shit thick parents have given them their credit card or control of the main account.

I think its down to piss poor parenting. They're letting the Playstation or Xbox raise their kids because actual, proper parenting gets in the way of their lives. Its easy for the Daily Fail and the Grauniad to cast blame on the games and the game systems, but its not hard for parents to be strict and have curfews on the amount of time their "dear widdle angel" can be on the things.
Amen to that, i let The Simpsons raise my kids so I could play on the PS1 or have a sleep in, when they got a bit older the PS1 took over then the Xbox, GTA3 kept them quiet for months.

Now at 16 the boy is a perfectly normal young man, plays sport, plays his Xbox 360, goes out with real girls and has many friends.

TLDR: It is probably a better 'illness' than the smack heads and thieving latch key kids I knew whose parents worked constantly to take them on holidays to Disney World and Magaluff.