Gaming companies

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Sep 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Strange question for this forum, but I thought I'd canvas the knowledge of ARRSE:

Does anyone know of any Games Industry-based companies working out of the North West? Apart from a few online betting companies I can't really see anything. The closest is Crytek and some smaller developers in Nottingham.

I'm looking a few years into my future and possible relocation, and starting to wonder if this little niche I've worked out for myself hasn't just ruined any chance of a fulfilling career outside playing games for the MOD!
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Not North West but not too far away, have you though about Rockstar North in Edinburgh?
  3. My brother in law designed Harry Potter Lego game (apparntley) he lives in the North West. Is that the kind of thing your looking for?
    I can make enquiries if you want, but warn you I hate talking to the God Bothering ****!
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

is Edge magazine still going? they have a jobs bit in the back pages iirc.
  5. It depends what type of game your looking to produce.

Nottingham seems to be the hub in the UK for tabletop, figure based gaming. The computer gaming industry seems more spread out.
  6. BrunoNoMedals

I saw Rockstar but it's a bit far. Or maybe it just seemed it, driving back from my stag weekend! Ilech, I wouldn't ask you to go near hated relatives but I shall Google the companies involved so thanks for the heads up. Never heard of Edge magazine but will look.

Sent from my X10i, probably from the loo, using Tapatalk.
  7. BrunoNoMedals

Although Games Workshop gave me some top childhood memories, it's computer stuff I'm looking at. Mind you, GW games like Dawn of War are generally very good! Relic do all those, though, and I believe are Canadian.

Sent from my X10i, probably from the loo, using Tapatalk.
  8. have a look here yippee-entertainment, salford based so its sort of north west?
    there must be something about games designers, cos i'm sort of related to one of them there & he's been touched by the lord!
  9. BrunoNoMedals

Interesting find, cheers!
  10. BrunoNoMedals

11. I used to work for Blizzard as a GM for WoW. I was in another job between then and my more recent application for Bioware to support the new star wars old republic mmo. made it to the 5th step in the application process(application acceptance, online test,online video interview, skills test, sit down interview) then they said no. hahaha, I was gutted, but the interview was intensely bone! A lot of curve-ball questions like "how do you deal with a dispute with your friend?" "how do you deal with a dispute with your manager?" and this pressing look in her eye to say "you will bow to me wont you?" I fluffed the interview mainly because i was so nervous. But I had 5 easily qualified friends apply for the same position, one even had his application upgraded to a high position but they still turned him down.

Blizzard was a very loose and fun environment to work in, and the sit down interview was reflective of that. I guess they assumed that because you had passed everything up to that point they weren't their to grill you, more of a personality check and to see what you knew about their game. Bioware was very much a call centre type/yes man interview and it caught me off guard.

anyway that probably seems a bit OT sorry about that, i still have a lot of hangups about it haha! have you been in development before? I do a load of concept art for friends who make small applications like iOS and android. id love to be in the big leagues but the standard of work and the output is mind blowing.