Games permit virtual war crimes

I found this article on the BBC news website, under the technology subsection, link here.

I'm going to paste in some key 'wtf' quotes from the study.

The study condemned the games for violating laws by letting players kill civilians, torture captives and wantonly destroy homes and buildings. It said game makers should work harder to remind players about the real world limits on their actions.
Because I think that Sim War Crimes Tribunal, and the expansion pack Sim Spending 20 Years in Prison would be fantastic sellers. Real world limits don't really apply when you're running around on the surface of Mars (Red Faction 3), or assassinating people in Renaissance-period Florence (Assassin's Creed 2). If you play Modern Warfare 2, you have very little opportunity (apart from one glaringly obvious exception) to kill civilians.

"Thus," said the report, "the line between the virtual and real experience becomes blurred and the game becomes a simulation of real-life situations on the battlefield."
I thought the idea of 'war' games was to simulate the battlefield?

The authors said they did not wish to make games less violent, instead, they wrote: "[We] call upon game producers to consequently and creatively incorporate rules of international humanitarian law and human rights into their games."
Because that would make games SO much better!

And finally, a common sense quote from Jim Rossignol (gaming journalist):
He added: "Perhaps what this research demonstrates is that the researchers misunderstand what games are, and how they are treated, intellectually, by the people who play them."
Sorry if this post is a little rambling, it just annoys me how some people seek to spoil anything which is fun. :x

/rant

kes1 said:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=138636.html

You're a day to slow ;)
Bugger.

kes1 said:
Tango said:
kes1 said:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=138636.html

You're a day to slow ;)
Bugger.
Makes a change for me to be quicker :D

I did wonder whether to put it in current affairs or the gaming forum though
Something good has come out of this, I've discovered the completely brilliant newsarse website, had me laughing for the last half-hour with some of the stories. Swings and roundabouts! :D

Tango said:
Something good has come out of this, I've discovered the completely brilliant newsarse website, had me laughing for the last half-hour with some of the stories. Swings and roundabouts! :D
And DII allows the site too :D