Games permit virtual war crimes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kes1, Nov 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8373794.stm

Should game makers make players abide by the law of armed conflict or would that be seen as too 'nannyish'?

This bit made me chuckle a little bit having listened to the guy's in the office talking about some new game out and giggling like schoolboys over being able to 'kill civilians, torture captives and wantonly destroy homes and buildings', yet they are, in reality, some of the most professional soldiers I've met (not that I'll ever say that to them).

So, do games like this really influence people's views on conflict and soldiers conduct?

2. I don't believe the Empire have signed the Geneva Convention

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

They tested Call of Duty 5 but not the latest? They're not going to like the airport episode in that game one little bit

4. I don't recall getting issued a RoE card with any Xbox game. Unless I'm mistaken I don't recall a button that lets you shout "Army, stop or I fire" before opening up with my weapon of choice.

What a shiite story.

5. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I bet Phil Shiner is already preparing for Avatar v Geek in the High Court.

What about Hollywood's output? I doubt if any of Arnie's films are LOAC compliant.

6. odd that they didnt test the most realistic shooter out there.

7. What are they teaching these days?

It's..

Crack! Crack! Thump! Thump!

"Army stop or I fire!"

8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I can't see a game that, once you shoot a random civilian in the face for no reason at all, then locks you out of it until you are virtually called for your virtual trial in a virtual Hague selling too well, to be honest.

9. So no Yellow Card then?

10. I've never played any of these games, but I did rather enjoy shooting all the peaceful monks in Tomb Raider to make more enemies...private conflict so pretty sure that doesn't count

11. Although others have found a way of making games more realistic

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/new-'call-of-duty'-to-include-six-months-in-helmand-200911112219/

12. Hahaha that made me laugh!

I especially liked this bit:

:D

13. One of the most violent games I have played in recent years in the simple amount of numbers you have to kill and the artistic slow-motion close ups of their deaths with various body parts flying about is Fallout 3.

This is the same Fallout 3 that received critical acclaim for its play on the choices of good and evil and their effects.

Make an evil choice for immediate gain and later on you see the often horrifying results....however this is still a game with very adult content ( you should see some of the user-made mods for the PC ) and huge amounts of carnage.

You can be running around in a power armoured suit, with a laser gatling and be mowing down dozens of genetically modified mutants crawling out of the ruins of an alternative....post apocalyptic 1950,s inspired universe set in the future around Washington DC.....at what point in that description could a normal person get confused between fantasy and real-life?

14. A gamer visiting Wales or Cornwall could quite easily get confused and think they were surrounded by genetically modfied mutants