Games help soldiers combat nightmares

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BrunoNoMedals, Mar 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide

Now I'm a gamer, but I'm not a soldier, so I really couldn't comment. I do know that gaming has been used in the past to study and treat PTSD, allowing people to recreate stressful, memorable experiences in a controlled environment. If gaming does allow you more control over your dreams, as the research mentioned here claims, then maybe it could go further. Who knows?

2. I found when I was younger and I played a lot, a I mean a lot, of games that I would end up dreaming about them too. Could the theory be perhaps then that if they start dreaming about the games it all gets muddled up with the night terrors thus diluting them?

3. Well on my last decompression in Cyprus, the PS3's were constantly full of squaddies blowing the shit out of bad guys! Funny way to decompress after blowing the shit out of bad guys, but it seems to work! Well, that and a few beers and a punch up followed by a day on the beach anyway...

4. I found that those who actually did the shooting at bad guys for real concentrated on just getting pissed.

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I'm with Fally on this one what a load of shite

6. Ah but you're old school.....

7. Very old school....

8. Desensitising blokes to violence and its effects is a large part of training. It's the reason figure 11's have the hun picture, the reason we use realistic casualties on exercise and one of the main reasons we use computer simulations. I wonder if the idea is along the same lines.

9. Worth saying that the use of gaming in the US to treat PTSD was only ever a study. Nothing more has been heard about it (to my knowledge anyway), although outcome data will be hard to come by as yet as it was only fairly recent.

10. Saw this in New Scientist last week. Must say when I read the article I was very sceptical.I would think that " Violent Games desensitise gamers towards violence" would have been a more appropriate headline. Needs more research, but the Games companies aren't going to fund it !

11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I bet that was written by some f@cking academic cnut who has never been in a fight in his sad and meaningless life, FFS nothing on this f@cking planet can prepare you for when the shit hits, whether it be a car crash or a contact, I wont be effected by my car crash because I play GTA LOL

12. Agreed jim24. Like the childrens game "operation" where the patients nose buzzes red if you touch the side with the forceps prepares you to be a surgeon... Not !

Reasearch indicates 100% of people die. Most of us wear clothes. So clothes cause death ?
    Research is not what it used to be.

13. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I have taken you advice, ref. clothing, the woman next door has just called the police

14. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I'm not remotely convinced this is a desensitization issue, and no-one's saying gaming prepares you for the horrors of war (although I'll argue the toss with anyone over the applicability of games in training, as it's what I do for a living and have received no end of positive feedback from people who've used it properly). This appears to be something new - certainly I've not heard it before - implying that gamers have more control over their dreams and thus could potentially nullify the effects of prior bad experiences coming back to haunt them. If this claim is true then, as the article says, there could be some benefit in the treatment of PTSD.

Jim, I have the utmost respect for what you've done and what you've been through, but you do appear to have an inability to read content presented to you before you go off on a rant. Your very first comment here is a perfect case - Fally's post doesn't disagree with the article or its proposition at all, it simply comments on the previous observation about squaddies in decompression. Do you have a problem with people trying to find new ways of treating sick or depressed soldiers? Are you an expert in psychology?

15. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

This not the first post about gaming and PTSD, and from personal experience I can see very little connection between gaming and reality, I have read quit a lot of information on this subject, all by academics and not, people who have experienced combat or PTSD victims, now I have made my feeling clear about all the so called experts on this subject but until someone who" walked in my shoes" can come up with some hard evidence, and not scientific conjecture, I'll call bollux. As RAMC states anyone can come up with "Evidence" but in the last thirty years I have just about heard every snakedoctor on the planets bullshit cure ,treatment for PTSD, FFS it's not that long ago that I was told that "British soldiers don't get PTSD it's an American thing" by a cnut that held a degree in Psychology.