Gamekey discounter.co.uk

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Anyone heard of - or, better yet, dealt with - this lot?
I need a new version of Office, and they're offering it at twelve pounds odd. What say you, good people?

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
I need a new version of Office, and they're offering it at twelve pounds odd. What say you, good people?
£12 for MS Office? Office 97 by any chance?

Download Open Office free & compatible with MS Office.

As I found last year, if it sounds to good, its a scam!

endure

GCM
You can buy keys from resellers who sell keys from PCs no longer in use. You have to register the software on Microsoft's website before you can download it so it's probably legit.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
until recently i was using office I'd bought through the MoD, that was something like £14 for the whole package and an extra few quid for the backup DVD.

err I mean I removed it when I no longer qualified for the discounted price as per the T&C's

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
until recently i was using office I'd bought through the MoD, that was something like £14 for the whole package and an extra few quid for the backup DVD.

err I mean I removed it when I no longer qualified for the discounted price as per the T&C's
Yup, me to was it Office 2010 Pro as this is what might/might not be on my home pc now

I prefer Libre Office to Word 2007 onwards.

Unfortunately, some of my customers are wedded to M$ and therefore I run Office 2010 in parallel and still have a couple of unused licenses which I bought cheaply off ebay.

You can buy keys from resellers who sell keys from PCs no longer in use. You have to register the software on Microsoft's website before you can download it so it's probably legit.

Is that gen?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I prefer Libre Office to Word 2007 onwards.

Unfortunately, some of my customers are wedded to M$ and therefore I run Office 2010 in parallel and still have a couple of unused licenses which I bought cheaply off ebay.
At IBM we could get MS Office because it's what customers used, even though IBM produced the Lotus Smartsuite and later Lotus Symphony competitors.

Open Office came along, IBM pushed it because it saved paying licence fees to MS. When Sun passed Open Office to Apache, IBM jumped into bed with the Document Foundation and Libre Office. If it's good enough for IBM, it's good enough for me.

When I help granddaughter with homework, I we save it in MS format so that parents and school can open it.

The Lotus offerings didn't sell in the face of all the competition. Discontinued, as I discovered researching the link in my previous post.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
So these cheap license are fully legal? I need Microsoft for compatibility.
See my post #11 above. You don't need MS for compatibility. You need compatibility with MS.

MS found themselves in deep water a few years ago trying to bribe governments to vote MS's software to become the de facto standard, when everybody wanted the open standard.

Generally legal, yes, they are provided by authorised resellers.

However, if you have a decent internet connection you can use Office 365 online for free if you have a free MS Outlook email (I do).

Obviously you need an internet connection but it works fine and is the latest version. You can save to your PC hard disk.

At IBM we could get MS Office because it's what customers used, even though IBM produced the Lotus Smartsuite and later Lotus Symphony competitors.

Open Office came along, IBM pushed it because it saved paying licence fees to MS. When Sun passed Open Office to Apache, IBM jumped into bed with the Document Foundation and Libre Office. If it's good enough for IBM, it's good enough for me.

When I help granddaughter with homework, I we save it in MS format so that parents and school can open it.

The Lotus offerings didn't sell in the face of all the competition. Discontinued, as I discovered researching the link in my previous post.
You can still download a copy of Lotus Symphony from the internet, but it looks dated.

I use Libre Office for everything other than when I need to issue something as a Word docx or xlsx

4(T)

LE

I haven't used that particular company, but I have bought Office and Windows keys from other discounters at similar price - and they've all been perfectly legit licences.

For that sort of price, it'd be worth a punt to have a genuine full-fat Office rather than one of the free clones.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Microsoft Home Use Program allows you to buy Office and other MS apps at a heavily discounted price if your workplace has business licences. I've a copy of Office 2019 for £12, but I think it might only be 365 that's available now

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Thank you all very much indeed. As usual, when I ask myself that perennial question about whether the thread went as expected - yes. Yes, it did. I love this site for its banter, insights, obscure information, and for the serious sharing of expertise by people who know better than I. Thanks again, and my respect.

Good Lord...AmiPro and 1-2-3...there's a blast from the past...

That said, I remember them being given away on PC World cover CDs in my youth, so I guess they weren't exactly flying off the shelves then.

Latest Threads