GAME OF THRONES a MUST SEE series.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Now it's over I'm looking forward to the box set going on sale, so I can see what all the fuss is about.

"I felt a great disturbance on the Web, as if millions of nerds suddenly cried out in rage and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Game of Meh’s

What a crap ending. Just finished watching it with my brother, as the last scene played out this was our comments ..

Bro .. "Yup, thought as. much. The Diversity Ending"
Me .. "Not with you"
Bro .. "Disabled guy is King of Six Kingdoms. Woman is Queen of the other one. Bad guy is a white bloke"
Me .. "Amateur. You forgot the subtle Nazi like theme about Dany too. Blonde hair, invades everything she sees and likes a good rally to the immaculately lined up troops with the black and red banner of oppression draped behind her"

D and D are apparently off to write for Disney now, be interesting to see if they can screw up Star Wars anymore than it has been. Meanwhile stay tuned folks for the new Disney Game of Thrones crossover series from them ..

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
D and D are apparently off to write for Disney now, be interesting to see if they can screw up Star Wars anymore than it has been.
I'm still scratching my head over now all stormtroopers are supposed to be clones of Jango Fett, and yet we have an Attack the Block black Londoner one and a 6'8" Brienne of Tarth one?

Meanwhile, Chewy is now a veggie and Lando is back in time to say "damn" every once in a while.

I'm still scratching my head over now all stormtroopers are supposed to be clones of Jango Fett, and yet we have an Attack the Block black Londoner one and a 6'8" Brienne of Tarth one?

Meanwhile, Chewy is now a veggie and Lando is back in time to say "damn" every once in a while.
The original stormtroopers were clones, then they went to conscription or something... I lost interest as it was being explained to me at great length and drifted into sleep.

It was enjoyable ending but a bit predictable. No real twists whatsoever - though I must admit I did think Jon had been blinded by the pussy so was not expecting him to kill Dany.

However the Unsullied 7 Dothraki would have kicked off after her murder big time, so a tad unbelievable.

Sewing lots of seeds for spin offs - Arya, a Nights Watch bromance series, etc.

Where on earth did Bronn come from to be Master of Coin?

I really hope that we can look back in a few weeks and say that the Season went out on a high. Not sure I can though but at the end of the day it could have been worse. Cersei could have lived.

Also I would like to see a future series set say ten years ahead, echoing Tyrion's "Ask me in ten years" comment. Westeros being Westeros things will not calm down and ultimately Bran isn't going to be able to hold onto the throne. We saw Edmure Tully showing that others still want it. Sansa meanwhile is being cheered as "Queen in the North" last we see of her in the same way that Robb and Jon were. Northerner's seem to have a knack of getting bored with their rulers. Drogon is still out there and Jon is the last Targaryen when one day he is asked to return by Lord Gendry Baratheon .. there's a start. Gendry is also part Targaryen. Robert Baratheon's father, his grandfather Steffon Baratheon, was first cousins with the Mad King Aerys II. Robert Baratheon and Rhaegar Targaryen were second cousins and this makes Gendry third cousins with Jon. When Dany elevated Gendry she was doing so to one of her own. Aegon the Conqueror's son, the man who built the Red Keep and founded Kings Landing had a daughter named Rahelle who married Ormund Baratheon thus starting the link between the two families. Something that could be explored really.

There is a lot to kind of raise the eyebrow about but overall its been an amazing eight seasons, I liked the way that Vary's demise echoed Ned's .. they were both killed by trying to highlight who the real heir was for instance but too much felt forced and rushed in S7 and S8. And Drogon burning Kings Landing was reminiscent of the the man who he was named after, Khal Drogo, and his promise he made to Dany in Season 1 where he swore to burn their cities and destroy the men in the iron suits. Jon's ending also echoed Aemon Targrayen's fate at the wall, heir to the throne but sent to the wall. It felt lately though like the story was bent around the things they wanted to show on screen rather than telling a story. The whole "We wanted a dead polar bear" in the Inside the Episode from S7 shows the writers intentions. And it was only after the episode where Dany burns the Slavers fleet that they went on about how she wasn't a tyrant etc etc in the "Inside the Episode" only for her to go from Saviour of the North to Big Bad in three episodes.

Game of Thrones I think will ultimately be remembered as rushing to get to the end. And it showed. HBO offered the writers ten episodes this season and they said Nah, we can do it in six. I wish they had taken the offer. I have no problem with the ending apart from the fact decisions were seen being taken with very little plot and character development to show how they got there.

But at least we'll always have Dany in S1 with her norks out getting it large as the sun sets behind her. So there's that.

Last edited:
Just watched it and felt reasonably happy with the grand finale of the whole series. It was always going to be a difficult task wrapping eight series up in a way that made everybody happy.

I had expected Jon Snow to come out better than he did. When the dragon recognised him for what he was and didn’t torch him I thought he might take the dragons validation of him and get the top job. The dragon seemed to have a bit of a brain rather than just be a BFO flying flammenwerfer. As JS offed the queen I suppose he had to be punished in some way. On the upside he has a future of drinking with the big bloke and finding a Redheaded Ygritte lookalike to keep his feet warm.

Back up the thread someone speculated that Bran would be king. I thought that was bollox, but what do I know. Bran the Broken on the wooden spaz chariot. Whooda guessed it (apart from the smart arse who did).

Last edited:
Popped into my cafe of choice for tea and a bun.
Read the paper provided for customers (Sun). There's an article about a support group being set up for GoT fans who are having difficulty coping with the end of the series. It has a sub heading of "Snowflakes".

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
To echo @Tedsson I thought it concluded fairly well under the circumstances.

I particularly enjoyed everyone laughing down Samwell's suggestion of democracy. It's almost like the characters had gotten a precognitive look into the future of western politics and thought "f**k that".

I also enjoyed Bronn's insistence of funding brothels over seemingly more important governmental expenditure.

For me, it lacked a positive twist at the end. The ultimate test though is to ask myself if I could have come up with a better ending that was believable? Probably not.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Unless I missed a bit, which I know I didn't, how did they know Jon offed Dany? Or did he confess at some point that wasnt filmed?

Unless I missed a bit, which I know I didn't, how did they know Jon offed Dany? Or did he confess at some point that wasnt filmed?
My old man said the same as he watched it. Apparently he confessed off screen but Jon could have just said Drogon landed short and .. splat. Then Jon steps up as the rightful heir and happy ever after. No more Mad Queen. Jon wins the throne. I don't get why Jon, a man who had one lover die in his arms already, and who has spent five episodes defending Dany and proclaiming his loyalty has ONE conversation with Tyrion and then stabs her mid Frenchie.

Would have loved the last scene to be Dany lying on a table in the Meeren temple with a Red Priestess chanting away. Dario Naharis stands at the table. Drogon is out of focus in the background. The camera zooms in on Drogon and as it focuses we see he is surrounded by Dragon eggs, some of which have hatched. Camera pans back and we just see Dany lying on the table as the Red Priestess walks away .. as she fades into the background Dany's fingers twitch and grab Dario's hand. Fade to black.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TurtleHead The Book Club 23
D The NAAFI Bar 24
Praetorian The NAAFI Bar 32