Game Keeper Jailed For Killing A Goshawk

Well, regarding buzzards, if it were possible to get a licence to destroy those that are causing issues (other than at airports), those that work the land might have a bit more respect for the law.

I know of a couple of eagles that have been found dead but are just quietly buried because to bring it to the attention of the authorities always starts a witch hunt. Many big raptors die on the hill in winter due to weather and starvation, the great and good who thought out the fallen stock policy can take responsibility for quite a few of these casualties yet the blame is always placed on land managers, even before evidence is found. I just wonder how many birds that are proven to have died of poison are the result of secondary poisoning. Remember how long the effects of DDT lasted.

This really is a guardian-level crime from those interfering bastards who have never done half a day's work in their lives, wearing £200 wellies they've never even got wet and driving Range Rover Sports.
The absolute cnuts.

Don't crow about it, its not a pheasant way to die, the bloke was a raven loony, im not grousing about it but he will have some hawkward questions to answer.

Sorry.

No sympathy for him , shame more cases don't go to court .
Anyone who is not moved by the sight of a bird of prey hunting has no soul , they have little impact on bird numbers compared to other factors .

No sympathy for him , shame more cases don't go to court .
Anyone who is not moved by the sight of a bird of prey hunting has no soul , they have little impact on bird numbers compared to other factors .
Bollocks. I know of a pair of golden eagles killed by white tailed eagles. By the same token I have seen a peregrines nest robbed by black backed gulls. The single biggest issue with raptors in the West of Scotland is the lack of food in winter. The impact the fallen stock policy has had has been quite damaging although you will not hear SNH/rspb or the other muppets discussing such things. We have an overpopulation of buzzards and every year we see them starve, would it not be better to control numbers to the food source that is available? No of course not, the chattering muppets who would moan do not go onto the hill do not see what is happening so who cares. SNH/rspb are in real danger of destroying the very things they tell people they are protecting.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Bollocks. I know of a pair of golden eagles killed by white tailed eagles. By the same token I have seen a peregrines nest robbed by black backed gulls. The single biggest issue with raptors in the West of Scotland is the lack of food in winter. The impact the fallen stock policy has had has been quite damaging although you will not hear SNH/rspb or the other muppets discussing such things. We have an overpopulation of buzzards and every year we see them starve, would it not be better to control numbers to the food source that is available? No of course not, the chattering muppets who would moan do not go onto the hill do not see what is happening so who cares. SNH/rspb are in real danger of destroying the very things they tell people they are protecting.

Well we could get rid of the stupid fallen stock rules which cause all types of raptor (incl foxes) to prey on new born animals.

Could you explain that policy to me please?

Could you explain that policy to me please?
The fallen stock policy is a rather foolish piece of legislation to 'ensure human safety'. Initially it required all hill farmers to remove the carcasses of any fallen stock from the hill, no matter how far from human habitation or cost (to the farmer). As the absurdity of this became apparent, it was revised to allow burial of the carcass in certain circumstances. In reality, it means that if you have a cow die five miles up a hill, you have to go up there get a hole dug and bury the thing.

There are some major issues with this. The first is that in some circumstances it can be impossible to bury or move a carcass. An example from last year: A horse fell off a cliff, broke its neck and ended up in a position where it could not be extracted so it was left in situ. Come spring and with it tourists the carcass was reported multiple times to the police, SNH and various cruelty organisations by foolish but well meaning people. What these people failed to realise was that the owner knew full well what had happened to his animal, that it was an accident that happens fairly regularly with hill stock and that it was impossible to shift the carcass. As the owner was in technical breach of the legislation, it caused a bloody shitstorm for a good part of he spring and summer.

Now going back a step. On the hills of Scotland almost every single predator depends on being able to scavenge the fallen. Ravens are nesting just now so that they capitalise on the carcasses that are the result of winter. Eagles, peregrines, buzzards, white tailed eagles and harriers as well as ravens, crows, seagulls, starlings and blackbirds all rely to quite a large degree on this natural windfall. If we remove it, which we have to by law, they all suffer. Yesterday on my way back off the hill there was two immature white tailed eagles fighting over the remains of a hooded crow I had shot a couple of days ago, not much for birds of that size. The weather here has been bad, snow and severe gales so these birds struggle at the best of times so to allow them to breed in numbers that are unsustainable and then remove the very food they depend on is very poor management to put it mildly. In reality it is the result of legislators listening to organisations that are rather poor at looking after animals but very good at PR and looking after themselves. Would you rather five buzzards out of some fifty or sixty to be shot or risk up to fifty to sixty percent of them starving? Of course most never see the starving, we only ever see the rspb and SNH in late spring when the weather improves and they are rarely if ever on the hill. Rant over.

Well, regarding buzzards, if it were possible to get a licence to destroy those that are causing issues (other than at airports), those that work the land might have a bit more respect for the law.

I know of a couple of eagles that have been found dead but are just quietly buried because to bring it to the attention of the authorities always starts a witch hunt. Many big raptors die on the hill in winter due to weather and starvation, the great and good who thought out the fallen stock policy can take responsibility for quite a few of these casualties yet the blame is always placed on land managers, even before evidence is found. I just wonder how many birds that are proven to have died of poison are the result of secondary poisoning. Remember how long the effects of DDT lasted.
Secondary poisoning?

Secondary poisoning?
Animals eating a carcass that has itself been legally poisoned or an accumulation of poison over time. Mercury from certain fish springs to mind, D10 in New Zealand, DDT throughout the whole world.
Many years ago I witnessed a bird eating pills that had been thrown onto a tip. I do not know what the result was but I can well imagine.

Thank you very much for giving me a straight answer,I had no idea.
It's so bloody stupid a rule it defies belief, totally illogical.

the red kites around here are always hovering over road kill, no one is out removing their food source it would be mad.
Of course some are fed, but I say leave nature to take its course.

Who put the policy in place is anyone protesting it?

Latest Threads