Game birds (not that kind). Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Social_Handgrenade, Apr 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One for you shooting/hunting types.

Got this bad boy nesting in my garden. It's obviously a pheasant but does anyone have any more info on the type. It seems to have a bit of a limp so i've been putting out some seeds for it to scoff on. I'll try get a better picture if neccessary but it doesn't seem to like me getting to close... Not the first bird to shy away!

Attached Files:

• 046.jpg
      046.jpg
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
  2. There are dozens of pheasant species, quite a few have been released in UK as game or ornamental birds. That one might be a "black" pheasant, which is apparently a sort of hybrid or variation of the usual brown ones. Where i live there are some startlingly gold-coloured pheasants. I assume these have legged it from an aviary or stately home collection.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Could be a Michigan Blue cross, taste nice come October.

4. Its whats called a melanistic pheasant .Originally from Japan IIRC .Many shoots have them because of their unusual looks but they have a tendency to wander off , so many keepers won't have them.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A tendency to wander off, that just about describes pheasants full stop, you spend months looking after them and then months looking for them!

6. English blacknecks tend not to wander too much , and fly like missiles .

7. Darwinian (shotgun) selection is probably reinforcing a genetic tendency for pheasants to E&E as autumn approaches...

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'll look out for those, our usual strain of ringnecks E&E like Hereford hooligans but I've been told that the Michigans will stick in our wooded shoot more!

9. Agreed. Michigans are fairly well behaved .The blackneck is slightly darker than the norm and lacks the distinctive white band round the neck .

10. Much obliged amigo. Now more importantly, when can i introduce him to Mr Oven?

Oh, I've decided to name him Pluck!

11. We got two white ones in with ours last year, not albinos but pure white. Amazingly they both survived the season, I didn't think they would cos they dont half stand out!!

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Usually there is a fine for bagging the all white or black bird. Most keepers put it in the shoot funds but one I know pocketed it and from a mate too the ****!

13. Yep there was a £50 quid fine for anyone shooting the whites but I would have thought a predator would have had them.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We had Guinea fowl on one shoot, one per pen to help encourage the pheasants to roost. Silly fecker wouldnt roost when the dogs got in the pen though and was pegged. The shoot manager used to swear at the guns that he was having that bird for christmas dinner and no one else was to shoot it. Dumb **** didnt know he was breaking the law as its illegal to release them and a pen without a roof counts as release.

15. I used to help out at one of the big shoots (40-50k birds released every year) and they used to have guinea fowl, poor buggers never made it past beaters day,