• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Galway Air Show - Merlin door falls off

#2
It'd be a hilarious opportunity to poke fun at defence cutbacks, if only members of the public hadn't been injured :( .

Poor buggers, must have come as a bloody shock!
 
#6
Now just why was the Helicopter over the crowd. I thought that due to accidents that have happened in the past that all displays must take place some distance away from the public viewing area. The public are normally a 100 yards back from the runway and all displays will take place around the runway
 
#7
W.Anchor said:
Now just why was the Helicopter over the crowd. I thought that due to accidents that have happened in the past that all displays must take place some distance away from the public viewing area. The public are normally a 100 yards back from the runway and all displays will take place around the runway
Have you ever been to Salthill? If you have, you'd know that that would be impossible there.
 
#8
the_matelot said:
W.Anchor said:
Now just why was the Helicopter over the crowd. I thought that due to accidents that have happened in the past that all displays must take place some distance away from the public viewing area. The public are normally a 100 yards back from the runway and all displays will take place around the runway
Have you ever been to Salthill? If you have, you'd know that that would be impossible there.
The report does say this:

The incident happened at around a quarter past six this evening as the Merlin helicopter took off to return to the UK.
 
#9
God Damn those Crown Forces feckers!
Dropping doors on the Free State, back to Armed Struggle i say.
I am of course codding.
(Catch in no way means harm to anyone least of all the Connemara Cavemen out thata way)
 
#11
Gunny Highway said:
Squiddly said:
It'd be a hilarious opportunity to poke fun at defence cutbacks
What have defence cutbacks got to do with a door falling off a new'ish cab?
The MOD might have stipulated that all the fasteners and bolts etc were made of ABS Plastic instead of steel, in a bid to save 1.31 pence per airframe :lol: .
 
#12
Just a thought but do you reckon all those pre flight safety checks that they insisted on doing in S Armagh not that long ago were carried out? I am fairly certain that after Jo Public had crawled over my cab I would want to check the yellow and black handles etc.. :?:
 
#13
hedgie said:
the_matelot said:
Fcuking hell!

I hope no-one was injured too much. I'm from near there. The pikey barstewards must have tried to nick it...

aghhh your a culchie from Connaught
Well, where I'm from straddles the Leinster/Connacht border. But I went to boarding school in Galway, my parents now live near Galway and I had trials for Connacht rugby so....

beats being a thieving pikey dublin knacker though! :D
 
#14
Duke_of_Kaos said:
Just a thought but do you reckon all those pre flight safety checks that they insisted on doing in S Armagh not that long ago were carried out? I am fairly certain that after Jo Public had crawled over my cab I would want to check the yellow and black handles etc.. :?:
Ding! How much you wanna bet that some kid who's parents weren't paying close attention gave a lever a tug?
 
#16
In true Beeb fashion I noted that the BBC News at One stated it was an 'Army helicopter' whose door fell off despite subsequent film clearly showing it was a Merlin!

Shame it wasn't a BBC reporter it hit...it might improve the quality of his work. Hope those it did hit are okay.
 
#18
Magic_Mushroom said:
In true Beeb fashion I noted that the BBC News at One stated it was an 'Army helicopter' whose door fell off despite subsequent film clearly showing it was a Merlin!

Shame it wasn't a BBC reporter it hit...it might improve the quality of his work. Hope those it did hit are okay.
The Times online also said it was army. I'm waiting for Tom Newton-Dung to declare it a DISGRACE and have photos of topless birds prancing around the place!
 

Latest Threads

New Posts