Galloway in the news again!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4538735.stm

Names named in US Iraq oil report

There are many investigations into the oil-for-food programme
A US Senate report says two senior politicians from the UK and France were granted potentially lucrative oil allocations by Saddam Hussein's Iraq.
It says British MP George Galloway and former French minister Charles Pasqua were given the right to buy oil under the UN's oil-for-food scheme.

Such allocations could be sold on for a commission, although the report offers no evidence either men received money.

Both men deny claims that they were involved in such sales.

"I have never traded in a barrel of oil," said Mr Galloway, re-elected as an MP last week after campaigning against the Iraq war.

"This is a lickspittle Republican committee, acting on the wishes of George W Bush."

These are the same false allegations which are still the subject of a libel action

George Galloway
He said he had "written and emailed repeatedly" requesting the opportunity to appear before the committee and rebut the claims, but they "have yet to respond".

Mr Pasqua - a French senator who served as interior minister in the 1980s and 1990s - has not yet commented on the document.

But when a former aide was questioned over the scandal last month Mr Pasqua said that he had never taken part in any sales.

Scandal

The report by a Senate committe investigating the oil-for-food scandal says Saddam Hussein's regime was keen to gain allies with influence abroad.

It alleged that Baghdad had given Mr Pasqua the right to buy 11 million barrels of oil, while Mr Galloway had received some 20 million.

Pasqua too denies buying any Iraqi oil
The committee says it has evidence from documents drawn up by the Ministry of Oil under Saddam Hussein and interviews with "high-ranking Hussein regime officials".

The oil-for-food programme was a $60bn (£32bn) scheme set up in 1996 which was supposed to allow Iraq to buy food, medicine and other humanitarian supplies with the proceeds of regulated oil sales, without breaking the sanctions imposed on it after its 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

The programme aimed to relieve the suffering of Iraqis under the sanctions and was formally ended in 2003 after the US-led invasion of Iraq.

The scandal over the way the programme was conducted emerged in early 2004, after an Iraqi newspaper published a list of about 270 people including UN officials, politicians and companies it alleged may have profited from the illicit sale of Iraqi oil.

Libel suit

US Senate investigators latter found that Saddam Hussein's regime made $17.3bn from abuses.

About $13.6bn allegedly came from selling oil to neighbour states keen to breach the sanctions.

The programme has already been the subject of several corruption investigations.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has been criticised over his son's work with the programme, but he himself, in an interim report by a UN committee issued in March, was cleared of wrongdoing.

Mr Galloway won a libel suit against London's Daily Telegraph newspaper over an article relating to his alleged role in the oil for food programme.

The Senate report said the documents it used to make the allegations "have no relation" to those discussed in the Daily Telegraph piece.

For his part, Mr Galloway said: "These are the same false allegations which are still the subject of a libel action with the Daily Telegraph - so far I'm £1.6m up".
Edited by me......allegedly :oops:

"The guys guilty...........hanging is too good for that t@sser"

Couldn't we train him to clear mines or something. Give some sappers a day off.

I have no luv for Galloway or the frog but so far the report does not say they actually profited from sales just that they where granted the right to trade.
Treason would seem to have occured if george did trade with the enemy why Brit troops where fighting and dieing.
john

Are they trying to ressurect this old chestnut? Tony must be really upset that Oona got binned.

The Telegraph and Christian Science Montitor have already contributed to Galloways' 'F*ck off big cigars' fund based on printing allegations around this story. US and British Intelligence have already examined these 'documents' and found them to be forgeries , so why is this coming up again?

Oh I forgot, it's the BBC , die süßer stimme von Neuer Arbeit.

Its the septics that want his balls in a vice this time PTP, not just tone :D

The septics couldn't give a rat's hairy chuff who Galloway is.

This is happening under the 'Calling in a favour' category.

You old sceptic :wink:

PartTimePongo said:
Are they trying to ressurect this old chestnut? Tony must be really upset that Oona got binned.

The Telegraph and Christian Science Montitor have already contributed to Galloways' 'F*ck off big cigars' fund based on printing allegations around this story. US and British Intelligence have already examined these 'documents' and found them to be forgeries , so why is this coming up again?

Oh I forgot, it's the BBC , die süßer stimme von Neuer Arbeit.
According to the reporting on the Today Programme, the Senate were looking at completely seperate docs to the Torygraph.

Torygraph docs came from Iraqi home office and 1990-93, senate docs from Ministry for Oil and from 2000-03.

No smoke without fire? I hope like hell he is guilty, he is an evil and nasty piece of work.

Galloway has already made £1.6million in damages. Sociopathic (but allegely charming) weasel.

Torygraph documents came from the infamous burnt out room at either ISS or the Oil Ministry?

The senate docs come from an American controlled Iraqi ministry?

Galloway is a gobby c*nt , no doubt , but I don't remember him taking us to war on the flimsiest of excuses.

This smells of stitch-up, as nice as it would be to see Gobby George taken down a peg or two, this smells worse than a 20 day old kipper.

I would suggest if George wants to know, who apart from Bluppet wants him rolled, he needs to look at which US personalities he has attacked in vitriolic fashion , who DO have access to the Oil Ministry.

PartTimePongo said:
Torygraph documents came from the infamous burnt out room at either ISS or the Oil Ministry?

The senate docs come from an American controlled Iraqi ministry?

Galloway is a gobby c*nt , no doubt , but I don't remember him taking us to war on the flimsiest of excuses.

This smells of stitch-up, as nice as it would be to see Gobby George taken down a peg or two, this smells worse than a 20 day old kipper.

I would suggest if George wants to know, who apart from Bluppet wants him rolled, he needs to look at which US personalities he has attacked in vitriolic fashion , who DO have access to the Oil Ministry.
Alternatively he could be as guilty as sin.

So has anyone asked Saddam yet?

PartTimePongo said:
So has anyone asked Saddam yet?
I think Saddam is sitting on a stool in his cell, hugging himseld whilst rocking backwards and forwards muttering 'wibble' under his breath. He proberbly going to say anything to keep his head on his shoulders at the momnet.

"Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability." - George Galloway MP, January 1994

Nuff said, eh? :twisted:

Oona was on the radio yesterday.

The presenter asked her if she was going to find another seat, she said "No I will only stand here in Bethnal Green"

He said "But the next election could be five years away"

She replied "There are always bye elections" in a rather dark manner :twisted:

Oona are you thinking what we're thinking?

Trotsky

Oona Vader? 8O

Are there any woods in Bethnal Green?

There may be trouble a-head.... oy vay don't go swimming in Bethnal Lido George.

I have it on good authority (wife's best friend's tennis partner's coach) that the relevant documentation is not the same set as was quoted by the Telegraph. Other documents were found in the aftermath which were not released, pending a proper investigation (not a media style kangaroo court).

If I were him, I would be making a large donation to a local charity, now! Caught with trousers down? He might as well been in a childrens playground next to Micheal Jackson live on tv!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DadTo4Witches RLC 14
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 23
S Current Affairs, News and Analysis 35