Gallipoli Quote by Ataturk

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rooper, Apr 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reading the last couple of posts on the 'Falkland's Veterans (Raise Your Glasses)' thread reminded me of a quote by Ataturk inscribed on one of the monuments at ANZAC Bay on the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey.

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives. You are now living in the soil of a friendly country therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours.

You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

May we all possess magnanimity when it comes to remembering our 'honest' foes!

• Like Like x 7
  2. You hit it on the head with "honest".
    Respect to the foe playing by the Queensbury rules.

3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

4. As I understand it the British Army has only twice ever 'Hated' firstly against the Indian mutineers secondly against the Japanese.

5. Don't fancy Terry much either, to be honest!

6. The odd SS goon probably featured on the shit list as well.

7. Handy soldier Johnny Turk, they did well in Korea too by all accounts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Such a brilliant quote by such a brilliant leader.

• Like Like x 2
  9. There's an old chap ran a breakfast stall in Jinchang, Gansu, who fought in Korea. He said to me once something on the lines of "American firepower was terrible but we could deal with their men. The Turks would never give up and we had to kill them where they were".

I bet JT has a few dits for the 'Famous Last Stands' thread.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

10. Damn! bloody dust in here is awful.

11. I remember reading that even when taken prisoner they were the Koreans' least favourite, refusing utterly to co-operate or speak anything other than Turkish: not a language widely spoken in N Korea

12. "Oi Abdul! extra chile sauce on mine."

Sorry that's all I could think of when it comes to the Turk. Visiting the battlefield is on my to do list.

13. What was the dit from their famous General, when ordered to withdraw by the US commander after their position was overrun? Something like "Retreat? But we're killing them!"

Awesome.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I once attended an E&E course where the survival rates of UN troops as POWs of the Noth Koreans were quoted.
    The US came off worse even as a ratio but the Turks did best.
    The instructors comment was something along the lines of a POW camp for the Turks was possibly better conditions than active service in their army!

Tough feckers no doubt!

15. Tell that to the Greek Cypriots.