Gallery Comments

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Offensive and should be removed

2. Offensive, but funny and this is ARRSE after all. Leave them.

3. Great. Leave them on. No holds barred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Some of the comments in the gallery 'safe areas' are very abusive. The safe area idea was a previous attempt to avoid turning off the comments function in the gallery, but has, perhaps predictably, failed.

I can't turn off comments in one part of the gallery only - it's all or nothing.

I've just banned a previous winner of ARRSE's biggest w anker for this, but can't just keep doing this.

The question - comments on or off?
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Hope we can leave the comments 'cos some can be really funny and some informative, in the serious areas. I can understand your concerns and hope that this is enough to make people realise that there is a place for everything.

It has been suggested before that a MOD should be given the role of making sure that the gallery is not abused, in the same way as the forums are. This could be done by warnings to offenders by PM follwed by bans if they persistently ingnore the warnings. Just a thought.

My vote would be to retain the comments with people following the rules.
  3. Two things:

Comments on.
    Warn offenders.

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I agree with the warnings thing, but it doesn't work for all. Software and security limitations mean the gallery is unmoderated - this is a concern for me.

Given that we have forums, is it so important to have comments in the galler anyway? Couldn't a thread just be started with a link to the gallery?
  5. it says safe area. and gives a warning.

what more do you need?

some of the comments on the "please dont hurt me" are just plain spiteful.... especially from long serving arrsers
  6. That would appear to be the answer, but when looking at the gallery will the photo be linked to the forum thread?.
  7. Would the link to the forum be attached to the picture? Sorry I'm a bit of a techno-failure!

8. Sounds like you would like the comments option removed from the Gallery.

I suppose you could create a board 'Gallery' and have people start threads in there regarding pics if push came to shove, or something along those lines.

I have to say whilst it can be vicious even in the 'be nice' section it is also incredibly funny, I would miss the comments if that option is removed. The comments are the ONLY reason I go and look in the Gallery.
  9. Great minds think alike Whiffler!

10. Auld-Yin

Is there not also more of a possibility that some will take the pics and work their evil magic with photoshop etc? At the moment pics in the gallery are more or less left alone but those put into forums are ruthlessly 'photoshopped' at times. (Mind you that can also be funny and this is where the MODs would come in).

Also what is to stop someone linking a 'Don't hurt me pic' into the NAAFI forum thus making it a free fire pic?#

I think that you MODs need to get together in your bat-cave and sort this out over a nice cup of tea.
  11. But if its made posting of comments only?

i.e comment and ONLY a link to the pic in the gallery..
  12. i agree that the spiteful can also be hilarious.
    but you have to agree a safe area is just that, safe.

gotta mention crabtastics comment about captain solo on the dont hurt me area.... got told off for laughing so hard when am supposed to be at work... am currently under observation from evil overlords. aparantly this is a no morale zone.

cheers crabby it made my morning.
  13. Aw come on, if you post a photo of yourself in a Gallery which in the main, is viewed by squaddies, you are setting yourself up. Why should people be warned? If you don't want a pasting, don't post your bloody photograph. Have you ever thought for one moment that soldiers prefer to look at photos of attractive women? I find it absurd that 'homely' women can post photos of themselves in all states, including totally inebriated and apparantly p*sh stained and then have the front to complain when somebody takes the p*ss?

If you don't want slating, don't put your photo up, it's like a red rag to a bull. In my opinion, the comments are the best thing about certain parts of the gallery.

Sit down and ask yourself a question..........why am I posting a photograph of myself on an internet website? Do I want everyone to see that I am an 18 stone drunk?
  14. Auld-Yin

So, Biccies, you are of the opinion that the safe area does not mean safe because you like to take the p*sh? The please don't hurt me area was put in for a reason but you feel that this does not count at all and that it should be ignored, just because you don't post pics of yourself. Bit like 'Let's have some rules so we can just ignore them'.
  15. At the end of the day nobody forces anyone to put a pic up in gallery, maybe some of the comments are a bit too far but it was the user who decided to expose their pic to the abuse when they put it there, anybody looking through gallery would realise what they were letting themselves in for. Why should peoples opinions be moderated? If a person doesn't like it surely they can remove their pic?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.