Gallanry Awards - Citations

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Over4MeNow, Apr 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any of the Great and the Good advise on how family members can acquire copies of citations for Gallantry awards - specifically the QGM?

I presume an application to the Medal Office would suffice providing proof of family connection to awardee but is it this simple? The recipient of the medal is, unfortunately, now dead but it was not a Posthumous award.

Any help gratefully received.

2. Is there a regimental museum you could contact? If not, try a search for the recipient's name on the London Gazette website here. If nothing found, check with the National Archives website here or you might have to go to Kew personally.

3. i believe you will only get part of the citation that was made public

im not sure how accurate the info i was given, but i was told it is illegal to release the full citation!

not sure how this applies from years ago

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I thought that the London Gazette printed the citations in toto, so your best bet would be to go there (www.gazettes-online.co.uk).

BTW randomgary why on earth would it be illegal to release the full citation? I cannot imagine that L/Cpl Beharry (as a random example) stopped his warrior to devour the female virgin children surrounding CIMIC House, on his way to achieving his VC, and that this salient fact was not included in the "public" version of his citation.

5. im not making up what i was told! most citations are censored and can sometimes be vague. the recipient asked if it was possible for them to see the full citation and the above was the reply

6. Possibly because some are for operations "that never happened". In the same way that (possibly urban myth but I don't think so) certain awards, given at certain times could not be worn immerdiately because of other considerations.

IMD

7. Some citations for Op Banner,were never published in full-for obvious reasons.Same for Dhofar.Others blocked from public view under the 30 year rule.

8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

OK, I stand corrected.

However I would have thought that, by and large (operational requirements notwithstanding) citations would be available in toto on the London Gazette website.

9. reply is abit late but you can apply for the citation under the freedom of information act! i believe its like applying for records where you need the permission of the eldest family relative!!!

sounds like an interesting story!!! would be interesting to hear how you get on

10. Assuming the award is post WW2 you can try searching the National Archive, go to the home page The National Archives and put the army number into the search box on the top right, just done it and the ones I am aware of all came up. In one case I got the full document trail including original recomendations, stuff from the MOD and approval from HMQ. I'm not saying that the same will be true for all awards, I agree that some operational ones might not be there. The entry in the London Gazzette simply states that the award has been made, not the why, where how etc.
    Hope this helps.