G4s again - X-rays

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by solomon88, Jul 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seen a few press reports about problems training X-ray machine operators.

I know nothing about these machines, but would it be possible for an incompetent operator to turn up the power to a hazardous level?

Also, will the operators' exposure be monitored by NRPB/HPA or whatever it is now, film badges etc.?
  2. In a word...No

Ask the manufacturer
  3. Any fool can "Operate" the machine. The skill (ie the whole point of the exercise) is to understand the image that is being viewed........!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Over the last couple of years I have been involved in the design and development of Computer Based Training (CBT) for X-ray screening threat recognition.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Learning to use and control the x-ray machine takes just a few hours, the recognition of threats takes hundreds of man hours and thousands of different threats, angles and bag/box clutter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]It isn't easy, I would expect any operator to have months of threat recognition training otherwise it would be pointless switching the machine on.[/FONT]
    • Like Like x 1
  5. If only people would keep zip about things like this, it wouldn't matter. Nobody is going to attempt to take a bomb/weapon through a detector if they believe there's a decent chance of being caught. Even the suicidal nutters want to die in a big explosion; not spend their whole life in prison after being caught at the gates.

The most important part of any security operation is psychological. It's the theatre of it.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. So are you saying that all the publicity about the G4S screwups isn't going to give Terry T and his mates a bit more confidence that security can be breached?

A bomb doesn't need to explode in a stadium, Terry T will still get lots of publicity if he blows himself up in the queue before the security checks start or even in a crowded tube train.
  7. No, that's exactly what I'm saying. The worst part of the G4S situation is the perception in the eyes of those who want to breach security.

I agree, but I'm not sure what point you're making. The best scanners and staff in the world can't stop a bomber before he's been through the checkpoint.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I don't agree, it's not as complicated as you make out.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Have you ever tried it?
  10. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    • Like Like x 4
  11. You don't say.
    I doubt it. I inadvertantly flew with a TLD badge in my pocket recently, and had to explain at length what it was to the people manning the scanners, and the reason why I was unwilling for them to stick it through the machine.
  12. That's why I asked the question.

So you're saying the power is not adjustable by the operator?
  13. Doesn't exposure to excess radiation give you superpowers? G4S really will have some questions to answer if their screw-up creates invincible al-Qaeda operatives.
  14. Depends on the equipment used.
  15. I'm starting to hope that Terry T detonates himself in your house.
    • Like Like x 1