G3 / SLR ?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Jul 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am not an expert on small arms, I only have a general understanding on these weapons.
    I have noticed over the years in factual books the use of the G3 by Brit Forces (SF, Police), even tho the SLR was issue rifle of the day.
    The SLR had a good rep in Brit service and there have been on the board comments about the G3 not being up to it.
    Would more knowlagable members care to comment.
  2. The G3 was the standard issue weapon of the German and other armies.

I had a standard 20 round box mechanism and was chambered for the 7.62mm round. It had a bolt sytem nut dissimilar to that of the mp5 essentially a family member. I don't know why the police would have had it apart from in the PSG1 version (praezisionsscharfschuetzengewehr) sniper rifle!

Having used it myself I think the weapon was the dogs danglers and an all round decent piece of kit!
  3. It's a fantastic rifle, exactly what we've come to expect from Heckler & Koch. I assume the Police will have most of, if not all the HK firearms in their arsenal... G3SG/1, MSG90, HK33 etc. including the variants.
  4. Never even handled a G3 but the SLR was an absolutely fantastic rifle in the hands of an experienced soldier. That, however, was the nub and why it had to be replaced (by a cheap piece of plastic sh1t that continually broke)

Having said that, a lot of blokes from my battalion who fought in the Falklands slagged it off because it couldn't fire fully automatic and the flash eliminator was shi te
  5. Naturally, the G3 was the CETME built under licence in Germany.

Originally the Bundeswehr had intended to go down the FN FAL route (as the G1), but were scuppered by the Belgians unwillingness to licence them to manufacture it (possibly due to a bit of unpleasantness a few years before?). So the Germans trawled around for another comparable weapon and came upon the CETME. Not all that surprising given that the CETME's design arrived in Spain in the hands of a couple of escaping German engineers in about, oh 1945 say.

There were a number of German firms contracted to build the G3, but one of them, H&K took the roller locked delayed blowback design and effectively made it their own, and the rest is history.
  6. "H&K took the roller locked delayed blowback design and effectively made it their own, and the rest is history."

Ah now somewhere, I read Mauser invented the 'roller locked delayed blowback design' and I did wonder if Mauser had reinvented its self as H&K.

7. If you spit hard in Oberndorf, your sputum will travel from the Mauserwerke to the HK old plant. People do flip from one to the other. The new HK plant is awesome and they have some of the finest engineering capability in the world, particularly where they make their own maxchine tools.

Amusingly the USAAF tried to bomb the Mauser factory nestled in the neckar Valley during 1944. They missed it and instead hit the other more obvious plant on the other side of the valley - the Oberndorfer Brewery! Probably did more damge to morale though...
  8. Having had a G3 on issue for a couple of years, I must say that for reliability I preferred the SLR.

The G3 is a sturdy rifle, and quite accurate, but the amount of stoppages we had with them was unbelievable. All our weapons had a full armourer's inspection a couple of times a year, we were getting up to 10% of them binned each time.

The ones we had were getting on a bit though (mine was from 1966) so perhaps the newer versions are better.
  9. The SLR was a great gat!
    :roll: :roll: :roll:
  10. The G3 was (is?) used by the RUC GC/PSNI. The advantage was that is part of a "weapons system", and therefore was easy to chop and change with the MP5 and 33 as required.

11. In terms of training yes, but if you mean interchangeability of parts I'm extremely doubtful.
  12. Thanks for that rather pointless post. Of course I meant training.
  13. Pointless? Make yourself a bit clearer next time then!
  14. Having shot one of the older G3's quite a lot, I have to say that it is an absolutely appalling piece of agricultural machinery.

On a shoot recently we had two G3's, both of which broke. I saved the day by loaning my SLR, which the range staff had a play with later. They had been brought up on the G3 and had never fired the SLR. In comparison, they thought that the SLR handled significantly better than the G3, and said that they were immediate converts.

In my humble opinion, the G3 balances appallingly, the bolt is extremely heavy and moves extremely fast, chucking a lot of weight around as it cycles, that hump at the wrist of the butt forces me to keep my head in an unnatural position, the rear sight is a bit kak, the cocking handle is at arm's length and extremely difficult, if not impossible, to operate in the shoulder. And it chucks the empty cases with great force and great distance (a friend of mine who was once shooting at G3-armed floppies said that at a few hundred metres you could just follow the trail of empty cases glistening in the African sun as they spun through the air and you just then aimed at the source). I didn't find it terribly accurate either. Being a delayed blowback weapon, it also sh1ts where it eats.