G3 or SLR? which is best...........fight

My son plays cod4 (g3) and mw2 (fn gal) online and asked me which is best in the real world.

Not a clue myself so any older hands used these weapons?

The question is, if ammunition wasn't an issue and they were the only weapons available which would you use?

If were talking COD4 and MW2, it has to be 'fn gal' which I think is name FAL in MW2? It has to be the FAL, more accurate and more stopping power!! In real life though, I haven't got a clue.. :s

Aah the good old SLR, had a cabby at Bisley a few years ago but havent had a go on the G3 but if its manufacturers are those that have improved the personal weapon for us then id hazard a guess its a winner

In real life, the G3 is a PITA to strip unless you're very familiar with it. Otherwise, pretty much the same.

:crying:Ohh god no :omfg:

Oh no another SLR is the greatest thread :)

I did think that would be the general view as so many members would have used it but I would have thought the G3 would be a contender because of full auto and semi auto benefit.

It should have read fn fal. But I'm typing on my phone under my desk.

Is rather my manager think I was having a tug than on t'net

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oh Suck it up Easesprings. Its been at least two weeks since the last SLR thread.

Stephen Seagull. Your kids a nerd. You need to have words. Something along the lines of "You'll never get laid stuck in front of that Computer each day".

Just think of Arrse as a Parenting fluffy cloud that can lift you from the drudgery of being a parent into the sunlit uplands of inner tranquility.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's the G3 innit, them use 'em so they must be the bestest.

Serious hat on....

According to reports and i'll qualify i've never fired either weapon, the FN simply because the G3's action is a pain in the arrse, and makes it hard to fire.

off

K

Kirkz

Could have had this in the OLD & BOLD forum if we still had one!!!
SLR every time! but that is purely a personal opinion :)
Puttees 4 by 2 brasso etc etc etc

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
SLR, as the G3 was a bugger to strip, a bugger to cock, and had a pretty useless Auto capacity (fine for round 1 and maybe 2, after that....). SLE was just simpler, which is a Good Thing.

Can't remember the actual weights, but the SLR was certainly better balanced, without so much weight forward.

My first issued weapon was a Spanish G3 courtesy of PK VdeB's arms buying spree.
20 rounds rapid and you couldn't hold the front stock, as too bloody hot.
Crap mags as well, as the lips were easily bent out of shape leading to stoppages.
FN/FAL over the SLR - fully auto and could fire rifle grenades.

I only used a G3 for about 2 months at the School of Winter Warfare in Norway (I believe the Norges made their own under licence, a vague memory says they called it an AG3) and used the SLR from '75 (wooden butt and stock) till whenever they got round to issuing me SA 80, around '93. The G3 felt more awkward to handle and harder to work with all round, but then so did SA 80. The SLR had a lovely balance in the crook of the arm, which was great for long tabs like the Cambrian March.

Realy one could convert the beast in to auto if one new how
Is that the matchstick trick? Someone told me this once but I thought they were yanking my plank

Oh Suck it up Easesprings. Its been at least two weeks since the last SLR thread.

Stephen Seagull. Your kids a nerd. You need to have words. Something along the lines of "You'll never get laid stuck in front of that Computer each day".

Just think of Arrse as a Parenting fluffy cloud that can lift you from the drudgery of being a parent into the sunlit uplands of inner tranquility.
I'm the sad nerd I'm afraid. The xbox is mine! He only started playing cos his other cadet mates are on there.

The "which is best" was started by his cadet sgt who is a bloody airsoft nut and never shuts up talking about weapons. Plastic or otherwise

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bumhole Old & Bold 430
maguire Weapons, Equipment & Rations 20
OldSnowy Classified Ads 2